GDT: No Mas, Umas .....

Taj79

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think our most consistent scoring play right now is Perkins at the top of the key with the ball.  Everyone spreads out.  He drives past his man and uses his "I'm longer than my defender" move and either lays it in, gets fouled, or misses and French and Goodwin attack for the offensive rebound.  I wish Ford would call for that more.  Perkins will score like that sometimes on 3 out of 6 possessions, and then he seems to not get the ball in the same position for another 10-15 minutes.

I agree that he needs to back off of the 3 point shot for now until they start going in more consistently.  Maybe use a shot fake to get his guy to to past and then drive it in as stated above.

He certainly seems to be the best option when we are running low on the shot clock.  He probably has the most ability to get his own shot off cleanly.  I agree about the dialing back the threes.  That should go for about everyone but Weaver and Jacobs.  Yuri seems to know when he should shoot the three, as does Goodwin.  You don't see many ill-advised jacks from those two.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

He did. Just like ford moving away from things that work(1-3-1) he moved away from Bell. He made a lot of head scratching decisions, including giving Goodwin the ball for the last play of regulation 

The worst decision was the play before that when he removed our warrior JG in favor of Hargrove & we lost the ball on the throw in & got tied on the fast break.  Leave JG in & probably no OT

10 minutes ago, Major Majerus said:

The worst decision was the play before that when he removed our warrior JG in favor of Hargrove & we lost the ball on the throw in & got tied on the fast break.  Leave JG in & probably no OT

True, it’s not mutually exclusive that you leave Goodwin in and give him the ball. While Goodwin would have been the guy to go to on that play, he shouldn’t have had the ball to set up the last play/iso. IMHO

1 hour ago, White Pelican said:

This question arises from mild curiosity. The program notes for the game had a paragraph on freshman TJ Weeks and his excellent 3 point shooting. I think it said he was 32 for 66 at the time.

I was looking forward to seeing how we played him and who would guard him. He didn't start and then he never played. I'm too far from the bench to tell if he was even at the game. Wears #23. A little research shows his last game was Dec. 7 and he's missed I think 4 games. Is he injured? Something else? Anyone know? 

He is listed having an abdominal injury, and Coach McCall said their is no timetable for his return.  According to the Injury Report, he has been out since mid December.

6 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

yes and up too early  sorry.   

for the record i totally agree on shutting off perkins from shooting threes.   i like his midrange game.  GD he approaches comparisons with george gervin inside the 3 line.  but i totally agree perkins is not a three point shooter.  

I'm alright if Perkins just doesn't shoot at all. He's a horrendous 3 pt shooter and he's bad within the arc. I'm sorry I just haven't seen anything from Perkins to impress. You toss enough up. one eventually rolls around the rim and drops. Add to that the fact he's a mediocre defender. 

SLU Stats: FT .567 team, .338 French, .524 Goodwin with some recent improvement in JGood's FT's. Team FG .440, not bad; Team 3 Point .326, could be better. SLU is 12-3, 9-1 Home, 2-1 Away, 1-1 "Neutral," although Auburn in Birmingham was hardly "neutral." Auburn is the one game SLU lost because of missed FT's.

Can SLU send French to a shooting coach like Drew Hanlen, who is in STL? If so can he be sent in-season?  By chance, does anyone know if that or something similar may have already happened?  Travis Ford was an 88.5% career FT shooter himself, played one year at Mizzou and three years at Kentucky.

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I'm alright if Perkins just doesn't shoot at all. He's a horrendous 3 pt shooter and he's bad within the arc. I'm sorry I just haven't seen anything from Perkins to impress. You toss enough up. one eventually rolls around the rim and drops. Add to that the fact he's a mediocre defender. 

Seems to me Perkins has been very good at driving to the rim. Agree on the 3 pointers. While he has made a few I can also do without Jordan shooting three's . 

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU Stats: FT .567 team, .338 French, .524 Goodwin with some recent improvement in JGood's FT's. Team FG .440, not bad; Team 3 Point .326, could be better. SLU is 12-3, 9-1 Home, 2-1 Away, 1-1 "Neutral," although Auburn in Birmingham was hardly "neutral." Auburn is the one game SLU lost because of missed FT's.

Can SLU send French to a shooting coach like Drew Hanlen, who is in STL? 

Drew lives in LA now. 

But there are many trainers who could help in the area. 

2 minutes ago, willie said:

Seems to me Perkins has been very good at driving to the rim. Agree on the 3 pointers. While he has made a few I can also do without Jordan shooting three's . 

He shoots 41% from inside the arc. Sorry, that's just not good. If you add in his 3's he's under 35%. Maybe this will change, as many Juco's are much better their Sr year. I'd like to see him be more selective and reduce the number of shots he takes. 

18 hours ago, CBFan said:

Can someone explain why Jimmy Bell is not getting more playing time the last 2 games. Bell’s offensive game is improving and I think he is okay defensively but I could be wrong.

He was being eaten alive by #33.  French had trouble guarding him but as least he made the guy work for the shot.

NM

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

He shoots 41% from inside the arc. Sorry, that's just not good. If you add in his 3's he's under 35%. Maybe this will change, as many Juco's are much better their Sr year. I'd like to see him be more selective and reduce the number of shots he takes. 

I don't have a shot chart on him but a lot of those inside misses are 15 foot jumpers. I want him driving to the hole. 

cgeldmacher and slufanskip like this

Calls from last night that you don't see much anymore:  12 traveling violations (I agree on everyone of them, but traveling isn't called much anymore.)

And Goodwin's carry of the ball.  That was a head scratcher.

Yuri's taking the ball out of bounds after Perkins inbounded it, was, well, let's just say humorous. 

We have talked about how to  improve French's FT shooting until the cows have come home.  Nothing new can be offered that hasn't already been mentioned.  Apparently Ford is just too stupid to figure it out some on the board would lead you to believe.  I have heard Ford talk about this issue many times and basically he says he shoots fine in practice - in fact at the start of the second half he was standing at the FT line during warm ups and he hit 6 of 8.  This is simply a head issue and that makes it simply very hard to change - ask Sax!.  

Goodwin was taken out on that play mentioned above because Ford figured they would foul the man with the ball and Goodwin is just not a good FT shooter.  The problem was that who threw the ball in should have called time out - we had one left - if he could not be certain that a man would get free.  I only blame the guy throwing it in not Hargrove or Ford unless you want to say he had the wrong guy throw it in.

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Perkins has rarely shot well in a Billiken uniform.  Unfortunately, we only have one other player averaging over 20 min with a track record of good perimeter shooting prior to SLU and Jacobs just isn't an aggressive offensive player.  Somebody has to take a shot outside of 10 feet.

We saw a similar disastrous shooting campaign from Mike Crawford in his senior year.  Crawford could never turn it around but maybe Perkins will have better luck.  He is the X factor on offense.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The problem is Yuri was not a good mid-range scorer prior to coming to SLU either.  Maybe he can develop that game over the next couple of summers but he is what he is for now - 5 ppg and a bunch of assists.  He's on the same development path as Butler's junior point guard, Aaron Thompson -- a low-scoring true playmaker.

Weaver is in a tough position because he's a 5'10 combo guard who is truly one-dimensional on offense.  85% of his shots come from the three, he doesn't get to the line and he averages less than an assist a game. When he goes 0-3 from three, it's hard to justify his presence on the floor.  If he's on early, then Coach Ford rides with him.  He will play a lot of minutes in some games and not in others.

Yes.  Not disagreeing with your analysis or with Yuri's game from prior to SLU - I am just saying that he appears to have a good shot, he has good form and the others may not be any better.  As Taj pointed out, we made four (4) perimeter shots from non-3 point.   Yuri has made 2 point and 3 point shots -- don't believe his average is all that bad - it's just that he does not attempt too many IMO.  Can Yuri do any worse? If Perkins' is off next game, and if Jacobs disappears again, then maybe Yuri?  In short, if things do improve with the others - then my suggest is:   why not Yuri?     

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Calls from last night that you don't see much anymore:  12 traveling violations (I agree on everyone of them, but traveling isn't called much anymore.)

And Goodwin's carry of the ball.  That was a head scratcher.

Yuri's taking the ball out of bounds after Perkins inbounded it, was, well, let's just say humorous. 

Goodwin definitely carried it. You could see him trying to make up his mind in real time, and he brought his hand all the way under the ball when he hesitated before taking that dribble inside the arc.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Goodwin definitely carried it. You could see him trying to make up his mind in real time, and he brought his hand all the way under the ball when he hesitated before taking that dribble inside the arc.

Disagree but to each their own. I knew once the whistle blew that was the call but that happens every game and doesn't get called.

Just now, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Disagree but to each there own. 

A veteran guy seated in front of me, turned around and told me he was a ref, was critical of the palming the ball call on Goodwin with 2 seconds left, said that call is not made.  He also said the one ref had been at SLU games before, and calls a lot of fouls.

3 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Disagree but to each their own. I knew once the whistle blew that was the call but that happens every game and doesn't get called.

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

A veteran guy seated in front of me, turned around and told me he was a ref, was critical of the palming the ball call on Goodwin with 2 seconds left, said that call is not made.  He also said the one ref had been at SLU games before, and calls a lot of fouls.

As for whether that doesn't normally get called, you guys are probably right. You hardly ever see that anymore. It was also a brutal time in the game to get that call.

Just saying that in a slow-motion replay in HD, there was absolutely no question that he had his hand all the way below the ball before taking the next dribble. By the book, they got it right.

-I thought there was a point of emphasis not to get guys killed in scrums for loose balls and it was going to be a foul when a guy jumps onto a player already on the floor and/or there is excessive contact in these battles, I can't find anything on this rule but I sure thought the UMass guy jumped on Yuri to get the jump ball and it should have been a foul, anyone remember hearing about this point of emphasis?