GDT: No Mas, Umas .....

Taj79

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It is bad. Javon was a good offensive player but not great. His value was defense more than offense imo

Bess was our top scorer last year and 2nd team all conference.  I'm not saying that 41% is great or that I don't want it to be better, but Perkins is a kid who is in his first half season out of JUCO and, due to injuries, is having to take more shots than he should.  If Thatch and Jimerson were still playing, then Perkins could probably be more selective with his shots.  Under the circumstances, he isn't being allowed that luxury as he learns the D-1 game.

Also, I give him credit for attempting shots at all 3 levels.  Guys who are threats at the rim, from mid-range, and from 3 are going to get the most opportunities, because it's hardest to guard them.  He's the only guy on the team that has the ability to score at all three levels and is aggressive enough to actually try do it.  Jacobs is the other one that could, but just doesn't seem to be aggressive enough and is too inconsistent.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

As I said, pick the data points you want to support your position.  I kind of think over 16,000 Billiken three point shots over 30 years is a significant sample size.  

The three point line was adopted by the NCAA in 1986, moved in 2007 and again this year.  The worst Billiken three point season was Spoon's 96-97 team, at 29.2%, which was on the shortest line. Hmmmm.

I literally said "generally....obviously there are outliers". You just picked a random outlier....Here's some others from around that time. So again, it's not fair to compare to 1990s because the line was like 3ft closer.

92-93 SLU shot 39% from 3

93-94 39%

94-95 39%

95-96 36%

96-97 29.2% (outlier)

97-98 - 35.4%

Straw man alert: I didn't say it was a small sample size, i said it wasn't a strong data point...because it's comparing a 22ft shot to 19ft shot. 

33 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the location of the three point line should have no bearing on staying bounds.   the actual out of bounds dimensions have been the dame since you played willie.  and i believe they did a jump ball after every score back in your day.  

Go step on the court in the corner. There is very little room to shoot a 3 pointer without stepping out. 

slufanskip likes this

18 minutes ago, willie said:

Go step on the court in the corner. There is very little room to shoot a 3 pointer without stepping out. 

The formost concern should be staying inbounds. Not shooting a 3

50 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

I literally said "generally....obviously there are outliers". You just picked a random outlier....Here's some others from around that time. So again, it's not fair to compare to 1990s because the line was like 3ft closer.

92-93 SLU shot 39% from 3

93-94 39%

94-95 39%

95-96 36%

96-97 29.2% (outlier)

97-98 - 35.4%

Straw man alert: I didn't say it was a small sample size, i said it wasn't a strong data point...because it's comparing a 22ft shot to 19ft shot. 

You conveniently ignored 2004/2005.  That's okay.  I said pick the data you want.  And you did. 

All is good.  I'm just providing data.  I'm not sure what your point is, but that is okay too. I don't need to know.  Carry on.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You conveniently ignored (another outlier) 2004/2005.  That's okay.  I said pick the data you want.  And you did. 

All is good.  I'm just providing data.  I'm not sure what your point is , but that is okay too. 

no worries all good hoosier ..."garbage in, garbage out"

comparing 3pt% on a 19ft line vs a 22ft line doesn't make much sense to me... but you do you!

Littlebill likes this

25 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Good analysis on UMass and the fact that they may be underrated, which comes after the first few paragraphs about Chase Johnson leaving:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/dayton-flyers-will-wary-young-umass-saturday/ZT2gD6x5XJwWD2yVCOTu0O/

Wish our newspaper coverage were this good.

Maybe you should move to Dayton then. They have an establishment there called "A Palace of Caesar" that may be right up your alley.

54 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Good analysis on UMass and the fact that they may be underrated, which comes after the first few paragraphs about Chase Johnson leaving:

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/dayton-flyers-will-wary-young-umass-saturday/ZT2gD6x5XJwWD2yVCOTu0O/

Wish our newspaper coverage were this good.

Tre Mitchell is a really good looking player and I think UMass will be trending up.