GDT: No Mas, Umas .....

Taj79

Big gut check for us today as I see it.  

Umass is 6 and 7,having started 5 and 0 with a cupcake schedule before going on their current 1 and 7 slide.  Mike McCall's team is young, starting two freshmen, a sophomore and two juniors but one big starter, TJ Weeks, is down and out, maybe for the season.  Weeks was leading the team in scoring averaging 14.7 ppg.  Guards Carl Pierre (Jr.) and Sean East II (Fr.) each average about 12 ppg.  Keon Clergeot (Jr.) has not found his stride yet this year.  Meaning he's a prime candidate to do so against us.  At forward, 6'7" sophomore Samba Diallo was a 4-star recruit and so too is 6'9" freshman Tre Mitchell.  Diallo average 5.7 ppg with Mitchell at almost 14 ppg.  The bench is incredibly weak.  Despite the record, A10 Talk gave them a B- rating for their OOC work.  I think that is high.

Five of their six or so players all shoot above 30% from three with Mitchell the low at 26%.  They shoot 43% from the floor overall and 67% from the line.  They've given Virginia and St. John's decent games but the lament is youth doesn't know how to finish.  From what I've seen, they are undisciplined, don't defend well and are weak on the boards.  They play three guards with Diallo and Mitchell --- doesn't look like a matchup well-suited for Jimmy Bell, Jr.  It will be interesting to see how Bell does on Mitchell; him being a factor will certainly help there. Vegas line has us as 10 point favorites.

Elsewhere, VCU (-6) at Mason; Richmond (+2.5) at Rhodey; Dayton (-16.5) at the Joey's; Davidson (+3.5) at Duquesne; La Salle (-2) at Fordham; and the Bonnies (-3.5) at Geedubya.  All games on either NBCSN or ESPN+.  Great viewing day!

almaman likes this

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Richmond pretty much demolishes Rhode in Kingston.  Dowstin and Russel take day off going 5 for 15 combined.  Langevine with 7.  Nick Cayo leads Richmond with 19.  Tyrese Martin with 17.   69 to 61 but not even close.

Mason making run at VCU but VCU up 14 under 4.  Mason has looked like pure horseshite and Tim McCormack seems to think AJ Wilson is the big superstar for Mason.  Freshman Oduro is lunk of lard right now.

Stunned .... Joes and Dayton 33 each at half.

4 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

"Uncle," on that game thread title, though.

If it said, "UMass will say, 'No mas,'" it would be cool.  But as worded, it doesn't look right.

we may be better served to start generic GDT right after last game and b&f with title ideas till game time. could come of with some cool ones me thinks

billikenfan05 likes this

Thatch not dressed Cory Tate is off his crutches and looking thinner.

It looks like a good size crowd.

I think those seats are the 5 dollar seats when school is not in