Optimism

mrjoelabs

21 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Taj. 

My optimism for next year is based upon more than just Markhi as a new face.  Tough but necessary decisions will need to be made but we need another shooter and another big who can play next year - not just bang in practice- and 2 to 3 more new faces is possible. 

I'd agree with the above. Ford's had JGood and Has for 2 years and their games have not shown much in the way of enhancements. Neither is effective from beyond 4 feet. The reason they get good numbers is they're stronger, quicker, and more experienced than their FR selves. I don't know what we can expect from them next year but am not holding out any hope they'll suddenly pull off a D. Evans, who really developed under Rick's guidance. 

We will need another sniper and, hopefully, a GT Big. The latter will be hard to bag, at least for anyone decent. I don't know if any of our current targets for '20 are considered snipers. Kasabuke would have been a good get, but that ship has sailed. 

Slu72, you tend to go from ecstatic moments to brooding and woe is me. In other words you think this year is wasted already, or do you? Are you seriously considering the possibility of this year being wasted already? I am sorry to find this sentiment lurking behind your "optimism" posts and hope I am wrong here.

I would like to suggest something to improve your mood, if I may. I think taking a 2 week trip to the Caribbean where the water is warm and the sand is fine and wonderful, where food has exotic tastes, the mojitos and the music are soothing, and where you have no worries in your mind. Go ahead and do some scuba diving, find peace of mind underwater like I used to do once upon a time. This might, just might, bring some sunshine back to your life and you will certainly get a nice suntan. Find out what happened with the Bills after you  come back. I sincerely hope you will be pleasantly surprised by what you see. Sunshine, sand, warm sea water, and mojitos in the proper setting are a wonderful cure for a lot of things. Life is worth living despite all the thorns in the way, I mean it. Enjoy. Go Bills!

Billi ---- I said I hope to be wrong but this program gets snakebitten more than most.  Thanks for refraining on the bad mark but I'm calling it as I see it.

Any my b*tch is back.  Missed you sweetie!

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Billi ---- I said I hope to be wrong but this program gets snakebitten more than most.  Thanks for refraining on the bad mark but I'm calling it as I see it.

I hope you’re wrong too, my friend. Maybe we can all get a little bit of old guys therapy suggestion before cutting the nets down next year. 

I remember that most of the predictions, including mine, were 21 wins or less. We're still on track for that. The reason that some people have turned negative is because they readjusted their expectations based on early successes. That was a mistake. 

November is fool's gold.  Evansville beat Kentucky in November. The Purple Aces would get their asses kicked today.  This season has been a success so far based on preseason predictions and I hope it continues.

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

I'd agree with the above. Ford's had JGood and Has for 2 years and their games have not shown much in the way of enhancements. Neither is effective from beyond 4 feet. The reason they get good numbers is they're stronger, quicker, and more experienced than their FR selves. I don't know what we can expect from them next year but am not holding out any hope they'll suddenly pull off a D. Evans, who really developed under Rick's guidance. 

We will need another sniper and, hopefully, a GT Big. The latter will be hard to bag, at least for anyone decent. I don't know if any of our current targets for '20 are considered snipers. Kasabuke would have been a good get, but that ship has sailed. 

Actually I have seen development in both of their games.  Goodwin’s passing and decision making is so much better. He is also more confident and generally better at each aspect - though he still does not shoot the ball well. 
And French now makes most of his shorter shots which he had missed, has added the shorter jump hook and is now very good at dribbling/driving to basket 1 on 1 - which he could not do before.   
Both need space to operate though - and if Jimerson and Thatch are not medically able to do this, then the burden shifts to Weaver, Perkins and Jacobs - and if they are not able, then we will be in more of the same. 

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I remember that most of the predictions, including mine, were 21 wins or less. We're still on track for that. The reason that some people have turned negative is because they readjusted their expectations based on early successes. That was a mistake. 

November is fool's gold.  Evansville beat Kentucky in November. The Purple Aces would get their asses kicked today.  This season has been a success so far based on preseason predictions and I hope it continues.

November?   We had good wins in December too.  I will take 11-2 w no returning Senior, so many new faces and so much youth and raw talent.  Maybe you were simply off in your predictions?

My predictions were predicated upon health.  More guys have played well vs not. But health is now hurting us. French is probably our hardest guy to replace this year.  Goodwin second.  But creating space for them was essential this year - and now that may be somewhat elusive due to health, or lack thereof, of both Jimerson and Thatch. We still have a good chance but Coach Ford’s job just got much more difficult. 

26 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

November?   We had good wins in December too.  I will take 11-2 w no returning Senior, so many new faces and so much youth and raw talent.  Maybe you were simply off in your predictions?

My predictions were predicated upon health.  More guys have played well vs not. But health is now hurting us. French is probably our hardest guy to replace this year.  Goodwin second.  But creating space for them was essential this year - and now that may be somewhat elusive due to health, or lack thereof, of both Jimerson and Thatch. We still have a good chance but Coach Ford’s job just got much more difficult. 

Bully ball usually results an injury to somebody. Factor it into your predictions.

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Bully ball is the cause of Fred’s medical issues?  And also Jimerson’s foot?

Bully ball is not the cause of Fred's medical issues, the disease is genetic, he was born with it, but the disease never manifested itself openly until he started playing hard this year. I have no idea what the cause of Jimerson's fracture actually was, playing hard may well have been it but I cannot say.

22 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Bully ball is not the cause of Fred's medical issues, the disease is genetic, he was born with it, but the disease never manifested itself openly until he started playing hard this year. I have no idea what the cause of Jimerson's fracture actually was, playing hard may well have been it but I cannot say.

Clock was sarcastically responding to a bad post by 3 star when he said bully ball causes injuries and clock pointed out 2 that were not.

What a crowd and game tonight the wife and I were wore out after that game.  It was so nice to see everyone standing tonight in the last minute of OT.

8 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Clock was sarcastically responding to a bad post by 3 star when he said bully ball causes injuries and clock pointed out 2 that were not.

What a crowd and game tonight the wife and I were wore out after that game.  It was so nice to see everyone standing tonight in the last minute of OT.

Fred's condition is not a result of bully ball but practically every injury incurred over the last five years, including Jimerson's, has happened in practice.  You can attribute that to bully ball, as I do, or just bad luck.  In any case, I always assume we will be down a major contributor or a major contributor's performance will suffer for half the season due to injury.  I'm never disappointed.

26 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Fred's condition is not a result of bully ball but practically every injury incurred over the last five years, including Jimerson's, has happened in practice.  You can attribute that to bully ball, as I do, or just bad luck.  In any case, I always assume we will be down a major contributor or a major contributor's performance will suffer for half the season due to injury.  I'm never disappointed.

Jimerson’s injury unfortunately is a typical injury of basketball generally - only you are linking it to our style of play. 
And we were down 1 major contributor the  very first game of the year (Thatch) and then a second major contributor (Jimerson) so early also that the NCAA will give him a medical redshirt (as per Ford) - and they both play the same position and were/are to represent our perimeter shooting on a team in desperate need of perimeter shooting.