GDT: Pukin', Dukin' and Nod

Taj79

43 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Thanks.

It's basic Basketball 101, you have to score the ball to win.  Sometimes I think that basic premise gets lost.

How much you have to score though is always dependent on how many points you give up. If I had the choice of a great offense and an average defense or a great defense and an average offense. I'll take the great defense every day and again tomorrow

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

French actually brought our FT% up last night.  He hit 40%, while the team was at 38.9%.  The culprits were Jacobs, Hargrove and Perkins.  They were a collective 0-4, with at least one miss on the front of a 1 and 1.  More shots for French!!

Jacobs, Hargrove and Perkins are all good FT shooters.  Was it the Duquesne "free throw defense," a case of first night jitters, or just something random?

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

How much you have to score though is always dependent on how many points you give up. If I had the choice of a great offense and an average defense or a great defense and an average offense. I'll take the great defense every day and again tomorrow

I've always been an Offense first guy in Basketball, which can make it doubly tough being a Billiken fan.  Irrespective, the Billikens are and always will be my #1 team.

I prefer the up and down West Coast Conference (Gonzaga, St. Mary's, USF, BYU, et al.) to the Pac-12.  Sometimes watching a SLU A10 game vis-a-vis a WCC game can look like two totally different games.

19 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Jacobs, Hargrove and Perkins are all good FT shooters.  Was it the Duquesne "free throw defense," a case of first night jitters, or just something random?

No idea. Maybe the rims were tight....or loose. Checked the play by play and both Perkins and Jacobs missed the front end of 1 and 1. So effectively the trio was 0-6. For those three I would have written in 5 of 6. Yes they are good FT shooters, but not last night. 

SLU was 7-18, 38.9%, on Free Throws.  Man alive, SLU has contracted a free throw shooting disease.  Good FT shooters Perkins, Hargrove and Jacobs were a collective 0-4.  Was Duquesne playing a version of the Hack-a-Has Defense?  4-10.

I recently attended an Illinois High School Girls Game.  The girls shoot free throws well, make them with ease.  What is going on at SLU?

We lost last night because we allowed the Dukes to shoot 65% in the second half and gave up 45 points. Won't win many games doing that. The offense will come and go but the effort on defense must be more consistent. It's only one game. I have a feeling we will look much better on Sun.

15 minutes ago, slusam said:

We lost last night because we allowed the Dukes to shoot 65% in the second half and gave up 45 points. Won't win many games doing that. The offense will come and go but the effort on defense must be more consistent. It's only one game. I have a feeling we will look much better on Sun.

Sure. We'll look better on Sunday against a mediocre 6-7 UMass team. We'll probably look good on Wednesday against a bad 6-7 GW team. The key will be how we look a week from Saturday when we play at Richmond. That is another winnable game and one we absolutely have to win if we want to get to 14-4 in conference.

36 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I've always been an Offense first guy in Basketball, which can make it doubly tough being a Billiken fan.  Irrespective, the Billikens are and always will be my #1 team.

I prefer the up and down West Coast Conference (Gonzaga, St. Mary's, USF, BYU, et al.) to the Pac-12.  Sometimes watching a SLU A10 game vis-a-vis a WCC game can look like two totally different games.

I get that, especially as a fan watching a game.  For me there's not much more exciting to watch than a shot clock violation or a great defensive stance. Offensively I love the great pass more than the big dunk. 

David King likes this