GDT: Pukin', Dukin' and Nod

Taj79

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU spent some time on this list, playing in the PIG.  These things generally come and go in cycles.  UMass has had its moments.  There's no way UMass is leaving the A10 involuntarily.  And I doubt anyone else is either.

we have, and almost as much of time spent on the up side.  But fordham spends almost all of its time down below, GW has too much resources to constantly be below mediocre 

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for last night's game, I had it down as a Loss in my preseason prediction.  I'm not surprised SLU lost;  I am surprised SLU lost by 14 points.

The injury losses of Jimerson on Offense and Thatch on Defense have taken their tolls, especially the loss of Jimerson.  

The warning signs were there in sub-par efforts in the Maryville and Bethune Cookman games.  Duquesne has some veterans, decent players, a good coach, and unfortunately was coming off 2 straight losses, a surprising drubbing in terms of score vs. Marshall of C-USA on a neutral floor in Cleveland.

The Billikens need to get it together quickly and protect the home court Sunday vs. UMass.

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

we have, and almost as much of time spent on the up side.  But fordham spends almost all of its time down below, GW has too much resources to constantly be below mediocre 

Neither Fordham, nor GW, are leaving involuntarily.  GW has had its moments at the top too, a couple of them during SLU's time in the A10.

The biggest issue at Fordham remains the facility, Rose Hill Gym.  It is a chicken and egg thing there.  One school of thought says Fordham doesn't need a new, bigger facility, when it usually can't fill the one it has.   I don't buy that theory, but it is out there.  I think Fordham needs a new facility.  Politics remain at work at Fordham.

Fordham has been able to get the recruits when it has had the right coach.  Tom Pecora was a good recruiter, recruited Eric Paschall, who starred at Fordham as a freshman, left for Villanova when Pecora was fired, and is now one of the key players for the greatly depleted Golden State Warriors in the NBA.  Players like Bryant Dunston and Chris Gaston were good players at Fordham.  The current coach seems like a proverbial fish out of water in The Bronx.  He's a good bench coach, probably better than Pecora, but Pecora was the better recruiter.

The A10 is best when its conference tourney plays in Brooklyn.  The A10 needs Fordham to keep a New York City presence.  

4 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The injury losses of Jimerson on Offense and Thatch on Defense have taken their tolls, especially the loss of Jimerson.  

Given how Thatch hasnt played healthy all season, I dont really include him in what ive seen thus far.  So far all I see is how much of a loss Jimerson has been.  To me,  getting a healthy* Thatch is like picking up a mid season trade. 

Given how Thatch hasnt played healthy all season, I dont really include him in what ive seen thus far.  So far all I see is how much of a loss Jimerson has been.  To me,  getting a healthy* Thatch is like picking up a mid season trade. 

I agree in that the real Fred Thatch, Jr. really hasn't been able to be his basketball self all season to date.

The Jimerson loss is huge.  

I was unable to watch the Duquesne game last night.  Did Duquesne play zone, or man to man, or a combination of both?

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Neither Fordham, nor GW, are leaving involuntarily.  GW has had its moments at the top too, a couple of them during SLU's time in the A10.

The biggest issue at Fordham remains the facility, Rose Hill Gym.  It is a chicken and egg thing there.  One school of thought says Fordham doesn't need a new, bigger facility, when it usually can't fill the one it has.   I don't buy that theory, but it is out there.  I think Fordham needs a new facility.  Politics remain at work at Fordham.

Fordham has been able to get the recruits when it has had the right coach.  Tom Pecora was a good recruiter, recruited Eric Paschall, who starred at Fordham as a freshman, left for Villanova when Pecora was fired, and is now one of the key players for the greatly depleted Golden State Warriors in the NBA.  Players like Bryant Dunston and Chris Gaston were good players at Fordham.  The current coach seems like a proverbial fish out of water in The Bronx.  He's a good bench coach, probably better than Pecora, but Pecora was the better recruiter.

The A10 is best when its conference tourney plays in Brooklyn.  The A10 needs Fordham to keep a New York City presence.  

Im not expecting any of the teams I mentioned to leave, but simply be told this is unacceptable.  Maybe its been said already.

I like Rose Hill but at this level, and with the amount of money they have, cant happen. 

I agree in that the real Fred Thatch, Jr. really hasn't been able to be his basketball self all season to date.

The Jimerson loss is huge.  

I was unable to watch the Duquesne game last night.  Did Duquesne play zone, or man to man, or a combination of both?

Played man the entire game,  plan seemed to be clog the lane, double French on post catches, keep Yuri in front and play passing lanes when he drove. In other words, everything you'd expect a conference opponent to do given the available roster. But even with all of that we still missed quite a few good looks, starting with the 2 bunnies Bell missed early 

SLU_Nick likes this

Im not expecting any of the teams I mentioned to leave, but simply be told this is unacceptable.  Maybe its been said already.

I like Rose Hill but at this level, and with the amount of money they have, cant happen. 

I agree on both counts.

Our son is a Fordham alumnus.  Fordham is a good school, with a proud and large NYC and Tri-State Area alumni base.  I've spoken with Fordham Jesuit President Fr. McShane a number of times, and he's Fordham and New York to the core.

When Fordham (under former Fordham Coach Tom Pecora) beat St. John's at Rose Hill Gym one memorable Sunday afternoon, Fordham was literally the talk of the Big Apple the next week.

Fordham is a sleeping giant in Hoops, that seems to stay perpetually asleep.  My opinion is that Fordham's biggest issue is and remains its facility, venerable Rose Hill Gym. 

3 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

Played man the entire game,  plan seemed to be clog the lane, double French on post catches, keep Yuri in front and play passing lanes when he drove. In other words, everything you'd expect a conference opponent to do given the available roster. But even with all of that we still missed quite a few good looks, starting with the 2 bunnies Bell missed early 

Thanks.

It's basic Basketball 101, you have to score the ball to win.  Sometimes I think that basic premise gets lost.

Small talk on JBJ

Over his last 5 games Hes averaging 7/3 at just 15 min per.  Thats a pretty good stat line for per 40.  We keep talking about how next year is the year, which makes sense.  What Jimmy has been put through this year will make him so much better for our big year next year.  

NH likes this

Just now, Box and Won said:

Nah.

Yes.  I doubt the A10 Tournament plays in Brooklyn absent the presence of Fordham in the league. 

I also doubt Hasahn French is at SLU absent (1) the A10 Tournament playing in Brooklyn; and related (2) Fordham being in the A10.

Fordham is not going anywhere involuntarily.  SLU and St. Joe's are fellow Jesuit schools like Fordham.  St. Bonaventure (Franciscan) in Olean, Western (Upstate) NY State, is greatly dependent upon having New York City and the Tri-State Area to recruit students.

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Thanks.

It's basic Basketball 101, you have to score the ball to win.  Sometimes I think that basic premise gets lost.

Thing is, we had a lot of good looks, but no one could hit consistently outside of maybe Weaver. Jacobs had a handful of open looks.  

On top of that, TJ took I’ll advised shots. Yuri didn’t put up enough shots. Perkins settled for the three too much. 

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

Thing is, we had a lot of good looks, but no one could hit consistently outside of maybe Weaver. Jacobs had a handful of open looks.  

On top of that, TJ took I’ll advised shots. Yuri didn’t put up enough shots. Perkins settled for the three too much. 

Reading your post, I realized last night was the first A10 Conference game for a number of Billikens:  Perkins, Hargrove, Yuri Collins, Bell, and even grad transfer Weaver.  And Jacobs sat on the bench most of last season, has very limited college game experience.

SLU has always had trouble with Duquesne, is now 15-16 all-time, 5-10 on the road.

Just now, moytoy12 said:

we have an identity issue. Perkins shouldn't be shooting that much from deep, its obvious hes a mid range shooter and slasher. KC is playing as a post big, hes every bit of a stretch 4, heck, hes more of a 3 than a traditional 4 or 5. Yuri almost refuses to shoot the 3, no clue why since hes a 40% 3 shooter.  

Yes.  I doubt the A10 Tournament plays in Brooklyn absent the presence of Fordham in the league. 

I also doubt Hasahn French is at SLU absent (1) the A10 Tournament playing in Brooklyn; and related (2) Fordham being in the A10.

Fordham is not going anywhere involuntarily.  SLU and St. Joe's are fellow Jesuit schools like Fordham.  St. Bonaventure (Franciscan) in Olean, Western (Upstate) NY State, is greatly dependent upon having New York City and the Tri-State Area to recruit students.

I think you're overstating their importance.  By a lot. 

And the fact that they're Jesuit makes no difference to me.  

1 minute ago, Box and Won said:

The Jesuit schools, at least some of them, do stick together.

I don't like it when SLU fans advocate kicking other schools out of the league.  First, we really don't have standing, having been there too many times ourselves.  Second, it's not good for conference relations, especially when we know it is just futile talk, that these schools are not leaving involuntarily.  

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

we have an identity issue. Perkins shouldn't be shooting that much from deep, its obvious hes a mid range shooter and slasher. KC is playing as a post big, hes every bit of a stretch 4, heck, hes more of a 3 than a traditional 4 or 5. Yuri almost refuses to shoot the 3, no clue why since hes a 40% 3 shooter.  

Theoretically, I think KC matched up decently with Duq’s 3’s and 4’s.  And on offense, wish Ford would give him the chance to do something positive. I’m not asserting that we win the game if he plays more, just wish Ford could figure out a way to integrate him and for KC to earn the confidence of Ford.  Probably wishful thinking.

wgstl likes this

3 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

recruiting can be funny.  I'd like to know how much pull we or anyone get's from east coast kids based on how often we play in the areas they grew up.