GDT: Pukin', Dukin' and Nod

Taj79

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i'll go one more, french cant shoot period.   anything outside that little half circle in the lane is an adventure especially if he is guarded and his body turned.  

Seems to be true for whole inside game. Those bunny close ones looks like we are trying to bust a piñata. 

wgstl --- you are not picking on me.  And i don't care if the referenced tweet is old or not.  The point to me is that French, and maybe all these guys, are doing what is needed in practice.  Then the game lights come on.  Personally, I hated having to go to the line, all eyes in the gym on me, to make free throws.  It got into my head.  It was only after I stopped caring and quit thinking about it that way where I got better.  Does this happen to French and Goodwin?  I don't know --- just saying.

I've heard many talking heads discuss our FT woes.  Some advocate shooting in practice after running.  Makes you concentrate on collecting your breath, getting your head on straight, relaxing, whatever.  Whatever it is, I've just decided to accept the horror.  Recruit better shooters, better skill players.  I just don't know.  My buddy fromNova asked if that stat were true.  When I told him yes,he only said he'd be hard pressed to accept that.  Apparently nothing is free with the Bills.  Which is like saying it's hard to be a Billiken fan.  

I don't care anymore because if I do, insanity is sure to follow.

1 minute ago, juniorbill76 said:

Duke had a bad loss. Kentucky had a bad loss. Saint Louis now has a fairly bad loss. Sunday's response may tell the tale of the rest of the season.

That’s kind of where I’m at. I realize that we’re not the blue bloods and that’s okay. Are we pissed at our conference or our team? This conference fuoking blows and if you faulter once you’re done for. 

rgbilliken likes this

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

he was taught the correct form by the coaches and he and he alone then perfected it with thousands of repetitions in early morning and late night shoot arounds by himself.   

But that goes to my point or question, what coaches?  Ford or some of the assistant coaches on the staff?  Or did the one coach that taught him leave?  I would say we don't know 100% but I would be surprised if Ford didn't have a hand in helping teach and if that is true then it shows Ford can teach and then it is up to the player to perfect it. 

Free throws are the one thing you can practice exactly what you will do in a game by yourself.  French can have absolutely perfect form in practice and make 1000 in a row where Ford can't tell him anything additional to do but if he doesn't practice enough or if he changes it during a game, that is on the player. 

Just now, almaman said:

Seems to be true for whole inside game. Those bunny close ones looks like we are trying to bust a piñata. 

hahahaha   i would like to add to my above french comment, 

so while he is a terrible shooter, there isnt much else he doesnt do well and he is one of the hardest working billikens ever.   he is a warrior beyond description.   if he and goodwin had some f'ing help under the basket we might not be in a tizzy today.  it truly wouldnt have taken much success last night that we are indeed capable of to turn that game around.   perkins and jacobs misses and collins turnovers havent been the norm.  

looks like i am starting to recover.

rgbilliken likes this

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

That’s kind of where I’m at. I realize that we’re not the blue bloods and that’s okay. Are we pissed at our conference or our team? This conference fuoking blows and if you faulter once you’re done for. 

If we win out this loss won’t matter. I don’t expect that to happen, but theoretically one loss is not a killer, even if was to Fordham.

Just now, Taj79 said:

wgstl --- you are not picking on me.  And i don't care if the referenced tweet is old or not.  The point to me is that French, and maybe all these guys, are doing what is needed in practice.  Then the game lights come on.  Personally, I hated having to go to the line, all eyes in the gym on me, to make free throws.  It got into my head.  It was only after I stopped caring and quit thinking about it that way where I got better.  Does this happen to French and Goodwin?  I don't know --- just saying.

I agree, what I was mainly getting at is why is Ford teaching a 90% practice FT shooter lessons, in practice.  When Ford, French, you and I all know its in games that the issue lies.  Im starting, no Im convinced, Ford is trying to tell us all something that isnt true.

1 minute ago, Bills_06 said:

But that goes to my point or question, what coaches?  Ford or some of the assistant coaches on the staff?  Or did the one coach that taught him leave?  I would say we don't know 100% but I would be surprised if Ford didn't have a hand in helping teach and if that is true then it shows Ford can teach and then it is up to the player to perfect it. 

Free throws are the one thing you can practice exactly what you will do in a game by yourself.  French can have absolutely perfect form in practice and make 1000 in a row where Ford can't tell him anything additional to do but if he doesn't practice enough or if he changes it during a game, that is on the player. 

i dont know where, but i thought it was said that he was taught the correct form at michigan state before he left.   he then perfected in his sit out year.   i am way too lazy to go back and find that interview though.  

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

That's literally not true. We faltered last night and we are not done for. We could lose probably 4-5 conference games and still have a shot at at -large bid. 

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

If we win out this loss won’t matter. I don’t expect that to happen, but theoretically one loss is not a killer, even if was to Fordham.

The way on conference sits, we can only lose 1 maybe 2 no more than 3 games to teams ranked 5-14.  We started off on day 1 with one of those losses.  So no, its not over but we now have little to no room for error.  1 more of those losses will mean he have to beat UD

Just now, wgstl said:

The way on conference sits, we can only lose 1 maybe 2 no more than 3 games to teams ranked 5-14.  We started off on day 1 with one of those losses.  So no, its not over but we now have little to no room for error.  1 more of those losses will mean he have to beat UD

Agreed.  And for us to realistically have an at large shot, I think we’ll have to beat UD regardless.

Just now, moytoy12 said:

Agreed.  And for us to realistically have an at large shot, I think we’ll have to beat UD regardless.

If we avoid less than 1 more loss like last night, I think we only need to beat VCU or richmond, and maybe Rhody

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont know where, but i thought it was said that he was taught the correct form at michigan state before he left.   he then perfected in his sit out year.   i am way too lazy to go back and find that interview though.  

This article mentions graduate assistance Brian Petruzelli but at the end of the article Bess is quoted as saying, “Coach has helped me with my shot so that’s probably the most improved part of my game,” he said.   Is coach Brian or is it Ford?

Link

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

hahahaha   i would like to add to my above french comment, 

so while he is a terrible shooter, there isnt much else he doesnt do well and he is one of the hardest working billikens ever.   he is a warrior beyond description.   if he and goodwin had some f'ing help under the basket we might not be in a tizzy today.  it truly wouldnt have taken much success last night that we are indeed capable of to turn that game around.   perkins and jacobs misses and collins turnovers havent been the norm.  

looks like i am starting to recover.

Injuries are part of the game for sure, but this one (GJ) really wrecked what we had more than anything the program has endured since RM's passing.

cheeseman likes this

wgstl ---I'd call that 'coachspeak' but Hoosier Pal would take issue.  

As to f05's assertion that this conference blows .... where would you put us?  And let me just say the Big East train has left the station.  Right now, that is the best conference in the nation and their worst team is Georgetown at 10 and 4 (but falling).  Sure, maybe if we're in there Ford can use that to get better players but that is a huge 'what if.'  Conferences looking to expand are going to take Dayton and VCU first and foremost.  Take them out of the A10 and what do we have?  Frankly the A10 ---- with mostly private schools, non-football schools, multi-bid conference --- is the best option I see but will listen to debate.  

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

wgstl ---I'd call that 'coachspeak' but Hoosier Pal would take issue.  

As to f05's assertion that this conference blows .... where would you put us?  And let me just say the Big East train has left the station.  Right now, that is the best conference in the nation and their worst team is Georgetown at 10 and 4 (but falling).  Sure, maybe if we're in there Ford can use that to get better players but that is a huge 'what if.'  Conferences looking to expand are going to take Dayton and VCU first and foremost.  Take them out of the A10 and what do we have?  Frankly the A10 ---- with mostly private schools, non-football schools, multi-bid conference --- is the best option I see but will listen to debate.  

A10 just needs to do something about Fordham, GW, La salle, and maybe even Umass.  They need to get their stuff together.  Umass has no excuse for being this bad for this long now. 

French --- there have been many examples of kids who came to college and performed like French.  Mo Alie-Cox, Javonte Reddick, Cyril Langevine, Kerry Blackshear, Kenton Marin, Andrew Nicholson, DeAndre Bembry, Akeen Olajuwon, hell even Obi Toppin who could only dunk last year.  They all got better and developed offensively some over their years.  Toppin was popping and making threes last night at La Salle.  

Right now, I see French being a tight end ala Alie-Cox in the NFL before I see him in the NBA.

I have long said Fordham, La Salle, the Bonnies, Duquesne and Geedubya belong in places like the Colonial, Patriot, MAAC and/or Northeast Conferences.  The A10 moved its office to Tidewater, VA, and without Fordham, how do we go to Brooklyn?  But no argument here.

20 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

That's literally not true. We faltered last night and we are not done for. We could lose probably 4-5 conference games and still have a shot at at -large bid. 

I understand that and I was exaggerating a bit. My point is this conference does us no favors. You cannot take a night off, every game is a must win.

24 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I wouldn’t say the conference blows.

You have the power 5 plus the big east. Then the AAC then the A-10.

At times it has been stronger at times it has been weaker but the A10 is still at the top of the non football conferences.

6 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I wouldn’t say the conference blows.

You have the power 5 plus the big east. Then the AAC then the A-10.

At times it has been stronger at times it has been weaker but the A10 is still at the top of the non football conferences.

I'd say it kinda blows.

19 minutes ago, wgstl said:

A10 just needs to do something about Fordham, GW, La salle, and maybe even Umass.  They need to get their stuff together.  Umass has no excuse for being this bad for this long now. 

SLU spent some time on this list, playing in the PIG.  These things generally come and go in cycles.  UMass has had its moments.  There's no way UMass is leaving the A10 involuntarily.  And I doubt anyone else is either.