GDT: Pukin', Dukin' and Nod

Taj79

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

About half our points came on turn overs.  We left our offense in STL. 

Hightower was the best at stopping dribble penetration.  We left our D in STL.

Which raises the question? What exactly is our offense designed to accomplish?

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

He and JGood just need to stay composed. They get too frenetic when times get tough. 

french's shots werent even close to fallin'.  his offense comes in spurts.  And thats saying that after he still almost had double digits in scoring 

No Ford on the post-game show. Still in locker room. I don't know what he can say, he's just a responsible for this disaster as the players.

Road Game over Christmas break in a small arena against a middle of the pack A10 team. This is not a season-ender. Sure, if we continue to execute like we did tonight, none of this will matter anyways.

This team has shown a good amount of resilience so far this season so lets forget about it and win the next 2 at home vs GW and UMASS.

johnbj14, David King and dlarry like this

Just now, RiseAndGrind said:

It's irrational but it makes me feel good to say this: Ford has to be held accountable for his team not shooting Free Throws well. Something has to change. 

(I don't even know what I'm trying to say other than Ford needs to do better). 

39% from the FT line isn’t acceptable? 

OK guys, I said we would win this game and was wrong, apologize, my bad.

This was not a good game for us. We were very off in our shooting and scoring, we were dismembered by their FT shooting and the numerous (justified and dubious) fouls called on us by the refs. I thought defense was better but it was not adequate to stop the 3 pointers they rained on us. Perkins was off tonight, even in FT throws, Hargrove made a number of goal attempts (including free throws) that failed. And so on and so forth, it was not a good night for us, we lost. Now let's go after UMass.

This loss is not damning in and of itself. We were underdogs going into this game. Duquesne may not be elite, but they’re certainly good enough to beat us away from Chaifetz. What is concerning is that our offense hasn’t looked good since the Tulane game, and we aren’t as good defensively as we were last year. Something needs to start clicking soon offensively or were in for a lot more disappointing outcomes. 

Also, I haven’t criticized Ford after a single game this year, but I think he deserves some blame tonight. Our man-to-man was getting beaten far too easily and we didn’t seem to adjust at all. We were sending too many people to the offensive glass and getting beat in transition. Even if we make free throws at a decent clip and finish better around the basket we were still going to have trouble winning tonight.

TheChosenOne likes this

4 minutes ago, NH said:

This loss is not damning in and of itself. We were underdogs going into this game. Duquesne may not be elite, but they’re certainly good enough to beat us away from Chaifetz. What is concerning is that our offense hasn’t looked good since the Tulane game, and we aren’t as good defensively as we were last year. Something needs to start clicking soon offensively or were in for a lot more disappointing outcomes. 

Also, I haven’t criticized Ford after a single game this year, but I think he deserves some blame tonight. Our man-to-man was getting beaten far too easily and we didn’t seem to adjust at all. We were sending too many people to the offensive glass and getting beat in transition. Even if we make free throws at a decent clip and finish better around the basket we were still going to have trouble winning tonight.

Another example of his poor coaching tonight: leaving Hargrove against Weathers with no help in the post.

Just now, RiseAndGrind said:

If Maryville was Hargrove's "breakout game" this was his "remember he's a freshman" game.

Don’t disagree, but he did have the fortitude to add some positive things on offense late when the game was theoretically in reach. 

What does Jacobs bring to the table?

Imo loss was on ford as much as anyone.  Not much made sense or even seemed to give us a chance.   Yes collins having a horrible game.  So you bench him and play hightower for extended time?   Anyone think that was going to be a success?

Then you put hargrove, the reputed worst defender on the team,  in to guard weathers?   Why would you think that would be a success?

How about continuing to give the ball to French when no one was particularly shooting well so the dukes could just send him to the line.   At best he makes one and then the dukes come down and score 2 or 3.   Yeah that will shrink the score gap right?   

A miserable game but didnt seem to me we gave ourselves much of a chance to win.   Goodnight.  I need to sleep on this one. 

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Don’t disagree, but he did have the fortitude to add some positive things on offense late when the game was theoretically in reach. 

Dont know spent most of second half on the bench while hightower played

2 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Moy, we are on the same page re Jacobs. He's got to step up. If not, sit him. This was one of the most confounding games I've seen Ford coach. Hightower getting all those early minutes? Weaver and Yuri can play together, why not. Jacobs once again a no show. So po'd at this loss. It was like a trap game. 

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Moy, we are on the same page re Jacobs. He's got to step up. If not, sit him. This was one of the most confounding games I've seen Ford coach. Hightower getting all those early minutes? Weaver and Yuri can play together, why not. Jacobs once again a no show. So po'd at this loss. It was like a trap game. 

Any chance some of us aren't giving Duquesne enough respect?  11-2.

8 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Nah, look at who they played going 11-0 and then the last 2. 

and also how they played tonight and still won by as much as they did. 

any team with a pulse would have beaten the same dukes team 

6 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

They weren't all that impressive. And it appeared we were totally out of synch. But they won. You might have a point. It still felt like a trap game, and I couldn't believe some of Ford's rotations.