Fred Thatch article

BJK

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very touching story.  What a situation for any 20 year old to be in. 

Interesting on the spread of the options.  Does the Athletic Trainer count as a Doctor, per option 1?  My guess is there is more to that option than what is listed, as if the Trainer counts, it could be used now.

Really feel for Fred. The reason it is taking so long to make a decision on this is likely because no one knows for sure if the additional physical activity is helpful or deleterious in these situations. Really hope the steroids can help and that he can return to playing, although being on chronic steroids is never ideal...

https://www.ommegaonline.org/article-details/Isolated-Mitochondrial-Myopathy-Misdiagnosed-as-Polymyositis/1117

In addition, several international and national level reports have shown that patients with mitochondrial disorders, specifically MELAS, have responded to corticosteroid treatment, as described in our case. However, the exact mechanism by which steroids act on patients with mitochondrial disorders is unknown. According to some reports, steroids have been shown not only to exert their effect in the nucleus but also in the mitochondria, because glucocorticoid receptors have been found in the mitochondria. This means that steroids may exert their effect on the pathogenesis of disease by acting on the receptor, on the nuclear DNA, or even cooperatively. Furthermore, steroids have been shown to directly stimulate mitochondrial transcription, thereby exerting a beneficial effect by influencing the biosynthesis of the respiratory chain[10,11].

Obviously, Fred's health and future are first and foremost and basketball comes somewhere behind that.  However, let's assume for a moment the doctors can get this cleared up and Fred can return to basketball.  At this point, I'm assuming that all parties are better off just shutting down this season and getting a medical redshirt.  That way he can play three more seasons.

5 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Obviously, Fred's health and future are first and foremost and basketball comes somewhere behind that.  However, let's assume for a moment the doctors can get this cleared up and Fred can return to basketball.  At this point, I'm assuming that all parties are better off just shutting down this season and getting a medical redshirt.  That way he can play three more seasons.

Im 50/50 on this. 

The thought of having him for 3 full season sounds awesome, and he can still practice with the team and develop his shot some more this year. 

BUT, we're 14-3 and hes our best(arguably) defensive player, thats a huge boost to a team thats already playing good ball.  Heck,  we very well may have beaten Auburn with him.  If Jimerson wasnt injured, I'd probably be all in favor of the red shirt. 

29 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im 50/50 on this. 

The thought of having him for 3 full season sounds awesome, and he can still practice with the team and develop his shot some more this year. 

BUT, we're 14-3 and hes our best(arguably) defensive player, thats a huge boost to a team thats already playing good ball.  Heck,  we very well may have beaten Auburn with him.  If Jimerson wasnt injured, I'd probably be all in favor of the red shirt. 

I agree with your points but as the season moves on you would have to question how effective he could be. I'm in the red shirt camp. 

1 minute ago, willie said:

I agree with your points but as the season moves on you would have to question how effective he could be. I'm in the red shirt camp. 

True, and obviously the coaches have that answer.  But just going off what coach says, as of now he seems ready to go, and not just ready to start practicing. 

4 minutes ago, willie said:

I think it depends on the nature of the illness.  I'm not a doctor and haven't read much about it.  If this is something were the doctors might let him play now, but at some point down the road might tell him he can't play, then you don't worry about burning a year of eligibility.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

One thing to consider is that if he is given the "all clear" then it likely won't be considered a season ending situation, which is required for a medical redshirt.  

Pistol likes this

17 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Nothing new in this interview on Thatch.    The Frank C and other interviews have covered it. 

One interesting comment:  Ford doesn’t run plays for Goodwin. He gets his points on effort and instinct. 

The one thing that was new to me is that he is only practicing 30 min a day. Based on Stu and Carter's prior tweets, I assumed he was participating throughout the entire practice.  

6 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

The one thing that was new to me is that he is only practicing 30 min a day. Based on Stu and Carter's prior tweets, I assumed he was participating throughout the entire practice.  

how long are practiced tho?  Id imagine it to be about 30 minutes with run throughs, and 30 minutes doing solo stuff

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

how long are practiced tho?  Id imagine it to be about 30 minutes with run throughs, and 30 minutes doing solo stuff

Practices are much longer than an hour.  Maybe day before a game might be shorter.    

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

Practices are much longer than an hour.  Maybe day before a game might be shorter.    

really, I knew they were earlier in the season but I thought they shorten them up quite a bit later on.