Sully's Annual Guide to the A10

https://www.blackburnreview.com/2019/12/31/sullys-annual-guide-to-the-a10-season/

Yes, another thread with an A10 prediction.  I look forward to Sully's review.  He is a Dayton honk, but his take on the rest of the A10 is fairly accurate and humorous.  It's a fun read.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.blackburnreview.com/2019/12/31/sullys-annual-guide-to-the-a10-season/

Yes, another thread with an A10 prediction.  I look forward to Sully's review.  He is a Dayton honk, but his take on the rest of the A10 is fairly accurate and humorous.  It's a fun read.

Thanks for the link. It was a fun read. 

I know the article is biased towards Dayton but his conclusions are close to mine. The most difficult games for us to win will be those against Dayton, VCU, and RI. We will play RI and one game against Dayton away. The second game against Dayton and the VCU game will be home games. I would expect to have more difficulty winning the away games. All is going according to schedule, I think.

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

I know the article is biased towards Dayton but his conclusions are close to mine. The most difficult games for us to win will be those against Dayton, VCU, and RI. We will play RI and one game against Dayton away. The second game against Dayton and the VCU game will be home games. I would expect to have more difficulty winning the away games. All is going according to schedule, I think.

Playing against Grant Golden and Richmond's trio of three point shooters on the road is also a tough matchup for us.

bauman likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

SLU was about the only team he didn't shoot a barb at. I didn't really get the VCU Green Devil reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Professional_Institute

Also, click the link to the tweet thread on the "vintage" logos.  You see Dayton's that way.  The artist did a nice job on those.

54 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Professional_Institute

Also, click the link to the tweet thread on the "vintage" logos.  You see Dayton's that way.  The artist did a nice job on those.

That’s pretty good. Sully gets an A for digging that up from 1963. Thanks. 

39 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

SBUnfurled on twitter 

33 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

You are correct; I misread.  Thanks for the correction.

So, a Saint Bonaventure fan.

Okay I just figured out your clue Quality, when 05 listed SBUnfurled.  I looked on your wiki link to find the original info.  Then saw the logos on Unfurled.  Pretty neat.  Dayton is pretty funny.

This is a solid and humorous annual assessment for the upcoming A10 season, with good reviews of the clubs, sans Dayton, of course, as the writer is under the Dayton tent (thus, needed addendum follows below).  Note the respect and fear for the Mighty Defending A10 Champion Billikens.  You've gotta love the logos, many unofficial, especially the Bonnies' Franciscan Friar.  I'd prefer the traditional Billiken before the Grawer Era efforts were made to tinker with it to this one. And how did the MBM who dubbed VCU "VCWho," and Havoc "Gimmick," not think of "Virginia Confederate University?"  Research or consultation is needed to determine from whence the dubbing of VCU as the "Green Devils" came. 

Also note that it is just not certain SLU fans that are still trying to kick Fordham and LaSalle (which is actually pretty good this year) out of the league.  The East Coast centric A10 really doesn't need "Midwest" (to this poster Dayton is Mid East, not Midwest) outliers and relative newcomers (especially in SLU's case), SLU and Dayton fans still trying to kick schools out of the league, especially since it was not that long ago that SLU was a PIG participant.  Certain SLU fans once targeted St. Bona and Duquesne for expulsion too, but both have clearly risen from the abyss.  The Bonnies, in particular, have become perennially dangerous under the (previously, unknown if currently) lowest paid college coach, who while not a candidate for GQ with his camel sport coat, can flat out coach.  Duquesne now has LeBron James' high school coach, and that guy seems to be progressing in the 'Burgh, with the Dukes at least giving the impression of being closer to taking the big, next step.

The A10 is best when the A10 Tournament is in Brooklyn.  The A10 needs a New York presence (Fordham from the beloved Bronx) with the A10 Tournament in the New York City Borough of Brooklyn.  Would Hasahn French be at SLU today if Fordham was not in the A10 and the A10 Tournament was not in Brooklyn?  Hasahn hails from Middletown, "New Yawk," as the A10 Tournament PA announcer from the G-League Long Island Nets introduced French.  Middletown is about 55 miles up the Hudson from the Big Apple.

As for Dayton, the nationally ranked Flyers from the other "Gem City" have the talent, no question, went to OT with Kansas in Maui until the men in striped shirts intervened.  No one, not even "Virginia Confederate University" has Dayton's basketball talent this season.  Ah but Anthony Grant's bench coaching acumen remains an issue (Achilles Heel?) for healthy debate, and UD fans' consternation.  The Dayton systems, if there is an offensive system, are basic and exploitable.  Sometimes it looks like Dayton's "Offense" is the old Guy V. Lewis Houston Offense:  "I just roll out the basketballs and let the boys play."  Does Dayton really have an effective High D-1 point guard, or just guards who play the point?  UD almost never wins the really big one, save and except the unexpected Elite 8 run when UD beat nearby Ohio State.  Of course, Dayton apologists are well aware, to obsessive compulsive disorder levels, of the alleged "vast Jesuit conspiracy" against Marianist Dayton.

It should be a good A10 season.  The league is up, with multiple contenders.  Everyone fears Team Blue out on its West of the Mississippi Atlantic 10 Island, the "Atlantic" on the Mississippi. There's nothing else like the A10;  the A10 is the Best of the Rest, a hodgepodge collection of misfits and left behinds that somehow still make a conference work.

HoosierPal likes this

I hate to say this because it is a Dayton rag, but Blackburn Review is really well done and puts out good content. I also believe that they are behind the absolutely hilarious website dedicated to promoting the "history" of the Arch-Baron cup.

As for the logos by SBU unfurled. They are absolutely fire. I love the "revamped vintage" look of the Billiken. I would hire the guy to do one for every version of the Billiken and reproduce those logos on merchandise.