A10: 2019 OOC Results/Ratings

Taj79

20 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I agree mostly with what you are saying.  This interesting website shows the "NET Bracket" based on Dec 30 rankings.  By this math, A10 is a one bid league. But we all know that if you are a "Syracuse" at 50 you are in.  If you are a VCU at 50 you are out.  Stir in a down SEC, a strong Big Ten, a stronger Big East and weaker than normal ACC, and you get some interesting possibilities.

https://bracketologists.com/bracket/

I don't know how often bracketologists update their info, but as of today the A10 has two bids; VCU shares a 12-spot with Xavier.  What you say about Syracuse-VCU comparison has vexed me for years.  I would hope that the Selection Committee is above such thinking, but I'd bet that in the back of their minds they're considering TV ratings.

BTW, I can't remember who pointed out the warrennolan.com site, but thank you, thank you, thank you.  Lots of NET-centric info there.  For God-only-knows-what reason, Sagarin isn't loading for me nowadays, so this alternative is most welcome.

FWIW, there are two predictions for the DUQ game:  The R1 says we lose by 3 and the ELO says we win by 4.

22 hours ago, unclecarl said:

I don't know how often bracketologists update their info, but as of today the A10 has two bids; VCU shares a 12-spot with Xavier.  What you say about Syracuse-VCU comparison has vexed me for years.  I would hope that the Selection Committee is above such thinking, but I'd bet that in the back of their minds they're considering TV ratings.

BTW, I can't remember who pointed out the warrennolan.com site, but thank you, thank you, thank you.  Lots of NET-centric info there.  For God-only-knows-what reason, Sagarin isn't loading for me nowadays, so this alternative is most welcome.

FWIW, there are two predictions for the DUQ game:  The R1 says we lose by 3 and the ELO says we win by 4.

The NET rankings are updated daily. Score data is updated every 30 minutes.

1 hour ago, courtside said:

SLU goes from 56 to 79 in the NCAA Net. Rankings unkind after the Duquesne loss.

Today the game is a Q1 loss for us as Duquesne is at 75.  Not that any loss is good. If Duquesne plays respectable, this shouldn't go lower than a Q2 loss. 

There's no question the A10 is stronger this year. Things haven't broken well the past two weeks but we could still put three teams in if the top of the league takes care of business.

Dayton looks like a 3-seed, maybe even a 2 if they dominate the league and other top seeds look vulnerable in conference. UD's NET ranking is 8.

I'm pretty confident VCU will run through the league with 3 or fewer losses. They're 34th in the NET ratings right now.

Rhode Island was my hope for a third at-large team, assuming SLU didn't go crazy in conference. They lost 3 tough games (Maryland, LSU, WVU), beat Providence, and could've made a statement with a strong league showing. But back-to-back losses to Brown and Richmond have them down to #91 in the NET rankings.

Richmond is trending upward, currently 53rd with the Wisconsin win looking stronger by the day and hoping the one bad loss (Radford) looks better over the course of the Big South Conference season. Hopefully they can avoid the drag that the lower end of the A10 will put on them by winning all of those and picking off some strong conference wins, like they just did at URI.

SLU (74) and Duquesne (66) aren't officially out of the mix but I think there's too much work left to do for both and I don't think either is strong enough for a miracle.

Davidson (94) has been a crazy letdown this season. Terrible non-conference performance and they started A10 play with a loss at Duquesne. The next game won't be any easier, going to a desperate Rhody.

Mason (119) has two blowout road losses to good teams (Maryland and TCU) but not enough to boost them in the non-conference. Then they started A10 play with a home loss to VCU. They could challenge for that 5-7 range but they look like yet another NIT/CBI team to me.

Bonaventure (169) is doing Bonaventure things, starting 1-4 and going 8-1 since then. There's no at-large hope here but they could be a major disruptor in conference play.

Credit to La Salle (136) for following up the hardest non-conference schedule I've ever seen in a coach's first season with marked second-year improvement. And credit to UMass (121) for upgrading the talent; they'll be good in the coming seasons.

St. Joe's (222), GW (256), and Fordham (258) hopefully won't drag the rest of us down too much.

tl;dr - Dayton is in with a top-4 seed. VCU is in and I think is stronger than they're currently getting credit for (they really needed one more non-conference win and I thought Wichita State would be it). We should get a third team and probably need Richmond to be it.

25 minutes ago, Pistol said:

SLU (74) and Duquesne (66) aren't officially out of the mix but I think there's too much work left to do for both and I don't think either is strong enough for a miracle.

I agree, we have no room for error and have to steal a win from UD and beat VCU, and maybe even beat one of the top 4 in the A10 tourney again

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I agree, we have no room for error and have to steal a win from UD and beat VCU, and maybe even beat one of the top 4 in the A10 tourney again

Yep, and I don't see it right now. UD looks awesome and VCU is the same VCU we all know and love - and they're both brutal matchups for us. We have Dayton twice and VCU once, at our place. We only have Richmond once (their place this weekend), Rhody once (on the road), and Davidson once (another road game). Our home-and-homes are Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, St. Joe's, and UMass, so there's just not a lot of opportunity for higher-tier wins left.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yep, and I don't see it right now. UD looks awesome and VCU is the same VCU we all know and love - and they're both brutal matchups for us. We have Dayton twice and VCU once, at our place. We only have Richmond once (their place this weekend), Rhody once (on the road), and Davidson once (another road game). Our home-and-homes are Dayton, Duquesne, La Salle, St. Joe's, and UMass, so there's just not a lot of opportunity for higher-tier wins left.

Need kstate to go on a tear, and theres almost zero chance of that happening.