BCU game from da Natuzzi

Sheltiedave

In a game where both our big men were in foul trouble, and Hargrove had to come in to compete against Pope, we did very well at keeping calm and collected.

Pope was jacking his jaw the entire game and got French hot, Goodwin hot, Perkins hot, and rattled some cages on the offensive boards, but we bodied up on him to mitigate damage well.

Five observations from this somewhat disjointed game include...

1) With Collins down for three fouls(the bs pick foul where the two BCU guards collided and the charging foul called a block,) first Hightower and Jacobs, and then mainly Weaver and Perkins, stepped up to carry Collins’ load. Weaver was a revelation in open court, charging up court and going behind his back while under control. Collins also weaves through the entire floor before dropping a dime in the paint.

2) Knowing how bad we were at 2 and 3 pt %s, look at our points column. If you shoot 70% from the line, and get there regularly, you score a lot of unnoticed points. We feasted at the line because we attacked the rim. It wasn’t pretty, but it worked.

3) With Thatch still down, I wanted both Bell and Hargrove to take some more baby steps. They did. Bell screened well, he showed a good drop step for a bucket, he grabbed and hit a putback basket, and he is learning more about body love. He needs to play a step deeper in the lane if the congestion at the ft line gets packed, he needs to set his post d on the side of the basket deeper to keep the drop step blocked by the backboard side, and to not jump out and jump up on a guard hiking up a pressured shot from 12 feet.

Hargrove showed good defensive energy, he moved his feet, he communicated switching men while in the 2-3 zone, and he was active bumping Pope. He still needs to body up in mtm in the paint quicker and more vigorously, but he is getting there. In the first half, he held the ball without passing for too long, in the second half he was much more in the flow.

4)It is a privilege to see Collins and French, and then Goodwin and Perkins run a clean pick and roll and penetrate and dish to the right fill trailer, without an offensive foul. It has been a long time coming.

5) Don’t look now, but Thatch will start picking up minutes off the bench. Our bench that is averaging 30+ ppg suddenly will be even stronger. Goodwin and French are dominating. Watch out A10, here we come!

MichaelC is kvetching because we only made 23/63 fgs. BCU also had 24 fouls, and we made 27/38 fts.

We were not fouled on any 3 pt shots. We were twice as efficient at making fts tonight as making fgs.

My rough stats had BCU fouling us on 15 shots, so our effective FG% that sums this wrinkle (15 x 0.71) would add 10.6 pts, bumping our FG rate to 28.3/63 fgs. Not shabby.

Our success at the line, steals, blocks and highly contested defense won the game. 

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Perkins in for Jacobs?

Am I right or wrong but I believe Jacobs has had only like 3 great games

Since the Boston College game, Perkins has played 30+ minutes in almost every game. And he plays a different position than Jacobs. There are no minutes that could go from Jacobs to Perkins. 

8 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

MichaelC is kvetching because we only made 23/63 fgs. BCU also had 24 fouls, and we made 27/38 fts.

We were not fouled on any 3 pt shots. We were twice as efficient at making fts tonight as making fgs.

My rough stats had BCU fouling us on 15 shots, so our effective FG% that sums this wrinkle (15 x 0.71) would add 10.6 pts, bumping our FG rate to 28.3/63 fgs. Not shabby.

Our success at the line, steals, blocks and highly contested defense won the game. 

A better or easier way to look at this is offensive efficiency, which measures points per possession. For the season the Bills are currently ranked at #109 with an efficiency rating of 1.015.

In last nights game, their rating was 1.02 which was slightly better than their season average.. The Bill have shown a major improvement from last year where their offensive rating was .974 which was 262nd in the country.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/offensive-efficiency

Updating this, I notice our defensive efficiency for this year has actually improved from last year from .932 to .892. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/defensive-efficiency?date=2019-12-30

BBF, I choose not to anchor my analysis on team rankings metrics for two reasons.

First, when I generate my post the night of the game, they do not have the stats package updated. Second, the current year stats are skewed, because we have played the soft end of our schedule, and not any of the more difficult conference schedule.

Analysis is more difficult when you know the stats data are both biased, and trending. This is why the Wiz and I look at individual game stats to analyze specific game traits, gleaning what pops to the good and bad.

The good coaches and good teams figure out as the game unfolds what is working well, what isn’t working, and how they need to adapt so they can win the game.

if the shots aren’t following, win the foul shooting, win the steals, blocks, control the turnovers, lock down the lane, and defend and fight hard for 50/50 balls.

We had answers in the second half that will make us a better team going forward.

41 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

BBF, I choose not to anchor my analysis on team rankings metrics for two reasons.

First, when I generate my post the night of the game, they do not have the stats package updated. Second, the current year stats are skewed, because we have played the soft end of our schedule, and not any of the more difficult conference schedule.

Analysis is more difficult when you know the stats data are both biased, and trending. This is why the Wiz and I look at individual game stats to analyze specific game traits, gleaning what pops to the good and bad.

The good coaches and good teams figure out as the game unfolds what is working well, what isn’t working, and how they need to adapt so they can win the game.

if the shots aren’t following, win the foul shooting, win the steals, blocks, control the turnovers, lock down the lane, and defend and fight hard for 50/50 balls.

We had answers in the second half that will make us a better team going forward.

my point was shooting percentage alone is not always indicative of how a team played offensively....points per possession is a much better barometer....

2 hours ago, slu72 said:

A general observation about this team, no trap games in the OOC. We had those even under Rickma, Loyola MM. And Santa Clara under Crews w/ Rick's boys. It seems these guys are taking no one for granted. 

I’m not sure I totally agree with this. I think they have definitely overlooked a few teams. Luckily this year they have the talent and heart to still win these games.

I’m positive they won’t take anyone for granted in conference.