GDT: Bethune

SLU_Nick

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another win is so nice I only had to watch 1 loss at home this season and no bad losses, how sweet it is.

Weaver came up big, 71 percent free throw shooting, JGood taking over the last 10 minutes of the game, Yurimania assists, and Jimmy Bell scoring and a big late rebound.

The only bad was Hargrove limping off the court at the end of the game.

2 hours ago, MichaelC said:

Unfortunately because this is such a poor shooting team almost every conference game will be difficult. Again tonight they missed 40, count 'em 40 shots! Shot 36% from the field and 21% from 3 and that is a recipe for losing 2 or 3 games to teams you have no business losing to. In conference play, you can't count on heroic individual performances to bail you out all the time. 

This team has legit local studs like Goodwin, Perkins and Collins -- guys who wouldn't have thought twice about attending SLU before Ford.

This team is averaging over 70 points a game, at least 10 percent more than previous years.

This team has just two noncon losses -- only two teams the past decade have achieved that.

Enjoy it!

37 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

How is that even a remotely valid discussion point? Are we here to discuss hopes like mature adults (even when we disagree) or are we here to sling juvenile insults?

You didn't come here to talk hoops, you came here to troll. But since you seem intent on continuing this charade...let's talk hoops. Yes, we shot really poorly tonight. But just 5 games ago, we hit a school-record SEVENTEEN 3's. We've got a kid who has barely played this year, who probably would've started every game so far if healthy, in Fred Thatch who is about to return. We play stellar Defense. We've shot significantly better from the line the past few games. Oh...and if we miss 40 shots in a game, you can realistically expect we'll get AT LEAST 15 of the boards on those missed shots, because we're THAT GOOD of a rebounding team. We're 11-2 with our only 2 losses coming against top-15 teams (and before you even start with all the 'Seton Hall isn't that good' BS, when Powell is actually healthy, they ARE that good) and gave undefeated Auburn all they could handle IN Alabama. It's not all that difficult to look at a stat line from 1 game and use it as a basis for a biased, misleading argument. You could do the exact same thing for every team in the country. No more questions your honor. The witness may step down.

36 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Did you pay attention to last seasons team and that team won the A10 tournament not shooting well at all.

SLU has shot field goals better this season then last season and has had balanced scoring with the next player up that has a great game.

SLU missed a lot of bunnies tonight and that has not been an issue this season but it hurt their field goal percentage.

I watched our team in warmups and the team was real giddy and not real focused and I had the feeling there would be problems this game and there was plenty of issues but this is a good team and they put their opponent away.

Actually I did, was at all 4 games and recalled the team shot pretty well. Looked up the numbers and sure enough that's true except for the championship game. 

SLU shot 48% 42% 48% and in the championship game 37%. They benefited from Davidson somehow shooting a miserable 25% and St. Bonaventure shooting 33%.

I'm not saying you cannot shoot poorly and win, I'm saying that no matter what else you do well, poor shooting makes you vulnerable to inferior (however you want to define that) teams. If you don't believe that ask Davidson and St. Bonaventure if they think they lost last year because they didn't get enough rebounds or turned the ball over too much. 

8 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

Actually I did, was at all 4 games and recalled the team shot pretty well. Looked up the numbers and sure enough that's true except for the championship game. 

SLU shot 48% 42% 48% and in the championship game 37%. They benefited from Davidson somehow shooting a miserable 25% and St. Bonaventure shooting 33%.

I'm not saying you cannot shoot poorly and win, I'm saying that no matter what else you do well, poor shooting makes you vulnerable to inferior (however you want to define that) teams. If you don't believe that ask Davidson and St. Bonaventure if they think they lost last year because they didn't get enough rebounds or turned the ball over too much. 

It's hilarious to me when a dude watches 1 game, we play poorly (but still win by double digits) and wabts to start talking $h!t like he knows something. 

2 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

Your right I am caught up with the fun I am having with the season and the win tonight.

This team has shot well so far this season and I do not think it is going to be an issue but losing Jimerson will hurt the shooting percentage.

Poor shooting can be made up be good defense and rebounding however games like Tulane makes winning easier.

31 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

You didn't come here to talk hoops, you came here to troll. But since you seem intent on continuing this charade...let's talk hoops. Yes, we shot really poorly tonight. But just 5 games ago, we hit a school-record SEVENTEEN 3's. We've got a kid who has barely played this year, who probably would've started every game so far if healthy, in Fred Thatch who is about to return. We play stellar Defense. We've shot significantly better from the line the past few games. Oh...and if we miss 40 shots in a game, you can realistically expect we'll get AT LEAST 15 of the boards on those missed shots, because we're THAT GOOD of a rebounding team. We're 11-2 with our only 2 losses coming against top-15 teams (and before you even start with all the 'Seton Hall isn't that good' BS, when Powell is actually healthy, they ARE that good) and gave undefeated Auburn all they could handle IN Alabama. It's not all that difficult to look at a stat line from 1 game and use it as a basis for a biased, misleading argument. You could do the exact same thing for every team in the country. No more questions your honor. The witness may step down.

Unlike you, I'm not going to make assumptions about what someone is going to say. Was at both games you referenced. You would have to be on drugs to say Seton Hall when fully healthy is not a Final Four contender. Auburn doesn't shoot it great but they are huge, physical and deep, another team that is obviously good enough for an elite 8 or final 4 appearance. Also, as I stated in another post, the Auburn game was as hostile an environment as you will see in college, there couldn't have been more than 100 SLU fans in a crowd of 12,000+ and they were very loud. In my opinion that that was actually their best performance of the season. 

2 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

Unlike you, I'm not going to make assumptions about what someone is going to say. Was at both games you referenced. You would have to be on drugs to say Seton Hall when fully healthy is not a Final Four contender. Auburn doesn't shoot it great but they are huge, physical and deep, another team that is obviously good enough for an elite 8 or final 4 appearance. Also, as I stated in another post, the Auburn game was as hostile an environment as you will see in college, there couldn't have been more than 100 SLU fans in a crowd of 12,000+ and they were very loud. In my opinion that that was actually their best performance of the season. 

Notice how you conveniently ignored everything else I said. Ignored how Thatch has been out all year. Ignored how we're the best rebounding team in the league. Ignored how we shot 55% from the field and 60% from 3 just 5 games ago. Whatever fits your narative sweetheart.

RU ---- yes for Duquesne's first "home" game at Bobby Morris.  All others at LaRoche University's Kerr Center with one at PPG Arena.  They got hammered in Cleveland yesterday in a "home" game by a then-5 and 7 Marshall team 83 to 61.  Marcus Weathers was a one man wrecking crew with 25 points, 13 rebounds and 3 assists.  They shot 18% from three with Carry and Dunn-Martin a combined 2 for 11 overall.  GT Steele added an o-fer going zip for 9 from the floor.  Anybody know why former Mizzou transfer Frankie Hughes hasn't played a single minute this year?  Weathers is averaging 21 over his last four games.

13 hours ago, CBFan said:

Big rebound Jimmy 

Watching the replay now. The shot by Jacobs that Bell rebounded was a shotclock violation that the refs missed. We definitely caught a break there getting to burn another 20 seconds and make a FT out of it. Also, credit to coach for going zone at the 10 min. mark. Up 3 at the time and B-CU only scored on 3 of it's next 10 possessions. The lead went from 3 to 14 during that stretch.

One other thing is just how well JGood played in the second half. He seems quicker off the dribble than before and is just relentless at all times. Nice to see some FTs go in as well. I figured this game would be a struggle but no complaints about the W.

TheA_Bomb likes this

40 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Watching the replay now. The shot by Jacobs that Bell rebounded was a shotclock violation that the refs missed. We definitely caught a break there getting to burn another 20 seconds and make a FT out of it. Also, credit to coach for going zone at the 10 min. mark. Up 3 at the time and B-CU only scored on 3 of it's next 10 possessions. The lead went from 3 to 14 during that stretch.

One other thing is just how well JGood played in the second half. He seems quicker off the dribble than before and is just relentless at all times. Nice to see some FTs go in as well. I figured this game would be a struggle but no complaints about the W.

Jgood was really nice in the first 5 minutes or so. His passing was outstanding on the break.

for those questioning our misses yesterday, from my view, the cookers were beating the heck out of us.   plenty of cheap fouls and plenty of trash talking.   no doubt our free throw reputation is reknown.   that's likely not a good excuse as a tourney team has to be able to play through that, however it could have contributed to some misses.   

6 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Weaver wasn’t making entry passes into the paint because he is neither looking nor trying to do such. He had a two foot channel open for Hargrove, and it didn’t even register.

Collins has eyes in the back of his head, his court vision is that good.

maybe he needs to start seeing when NOT to drive to the basket with 2 bigger stronger guys waiting to trap him.

Littlebill likes this

21 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Weaver wasn’t making entry passes into the paint because he is neither looking nor trying to do such. He had a two foot channel open for Hargrove, and it didn’t even register.

Collins has eyes in the back of his head, his court vision is that good.

They are completely different types of players. Sure, Weaver isn't going to make as many tight window passes as Collins, but that's not his game. He's an excellent off-ball guard and complements JG/HF/YC really well. 

The dude is shooting 40% from 3 and eFG% of like 60%. He never turns the ball over and plays pretty good defense. Can't ask for much more. Good grad transfer in my books.

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yuri has racked up 22 assists to only 7 turnovers the last four games.  He's learning.

I dont think they count getting your shot blocked or altered as a turnover do they?

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I dont think they count getting your shot blocked or altered as a turnover do they?

All freshmen point guards have those kinds of issues.  Not only is Yuri on target to smash the freshman assist record, he has a chance to finish the season with the best assist/turnover ratio of any Billiken point guard in 30 years.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

3 star you arent really addressing my concern.    my problem with collins is his propensity to dribble into the trees with no way out.   once he learns not to do this or develops enough power to successfully get through the forrest and score or pass out, then we got something.  until then that assist to turnover ratio is somewhat misleading imo.   i believe he will be a very good point guard by the time he leaves slu, but he is still a freshman learning.