GDT: Bethune

SLU_Nick

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

larrymania:  I think so.  Duquesne is not as good as their record and Austin and Steele have added to Carry, Hughes and Weathers.  Duquesne has no home gym so we're playing at Robert Morris University.  Can't let Duquesne bomb from three point land.

5 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

11-2 with @ Duq vs UMass vs GW. 3 games we should win before heading into the tough part of our conference schedule.  I’ll take this 100 times out of 100

Unfortunately because this is such a poor shooting team almost every conference game will be difficult. Again tonight they missed 40, count 'em 40 shots! Shot 36% from the field and 21% from 3 and that is a recipe for losing 2 or 3 games to teams you have no business losing to. In conference play, you can't count on heroic individual performances to bail you out all the time. 

12 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

Unfortunately because this is such a poor shooting team almost every conference game will be difficult. Again tonight they missed 40, count 'em 40 shots! Shot 36% from the field and 21% from 3 and that is a recipe for losing 2 or 3 games to teams you have no business losing to. In conference play, you can't count on heroic individual performances to bail you out all the time. 

I agree the poor 3 and FT shooting scare me. But we do have 3 guys who have shown they CAN hit them: Weaver, Perkins, and Jacobs. Also we might get Fred back, although that's a big ??? mark. But in tonight's game there were plays where if French and JGood  would have looked they would have seen wide open guys on the perimeter. Most teams will plan to jam the inside against us, therefore, I would hope in practice we will work on kick outs. It will only make it easier on French and JGood. Especially if we start hitting the shots. 

17 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

We haven’t relied on heroic individual performances to bail us out except for the belmont game. This team is crazy well rounded. Yes shooting is a problem, but every team we see the rest of the way will have an equally big flaw in their game (except dayton).

This team will probably lose a couple games it should win, but they will also win a couple games they shouldn’t 

23 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

Ridiculous assessment -- focus on their weakness and ignore their outlier strengths. How many teams have depth, multiple leaders in rebounding, and a point guard that distributes like this team?

9 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I agree the poor 3 and FT shooting scare me. But we do have 3 guys who have shown they CAN hit them: Weaver, Perkins, and Jacobs. Also we might get Fred back, although that's a big ??? mark. But in tonight's game there were plays where if French and JGood  would have looked they would have seen wide open guys on the perimeter. Most teams will plan to jam the inside against us, therefore, I would hope in practice we will work on kick outs. It will only make it easier on French and JGood. Especially if we start hitting the shots. 

I have more confidence in Hargrove shooting free throws than anybody else on the team right now.  Hargrove is shooting 80% from the free throw line on 16 attempts and they all look like they're going in.  But since he's not a focal point of our offense, he will rarely be in a position to shoot free throws in crunch time.  

54 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Duquesne has no home gym so we're playing at Robert Morris University.

I believe this will be the Dukes 1st “home” game of the season at Robert Morris University.  I’m not sure how much that will help the Billikens, but it can’t hurt.

11 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Ridiculous assessment -- focus on their weakness and ignore their outlier strengths. How many teams have depth, multiple leaders in rebounding, and a point guard that distributes like this team?

LOL We'll see, the way the game is played now, poor shooting (especially from 3) is not an outlier, it's an equalizer, it's how inferior teams are able to beat more talented teams. If you think life and death struggles with the likes of Bethune Cookman and High Point due almost entirely to poor shooting is not a major concern, don't know what else to tell you. If you think you can win consistently taking 60 shots and missing 40 of them, well, time will tell. 

billikenbill likes this

A win is a win, this was not a clean win but we won the game. Part of the issue was the one referee calling all kinds of fouls on us and breaking up our game. Whichever way it is we are 11-2 as we enter conference play. I am a lot more concerned about Hargrove's injury than about the way the game was played.

Apologize for  being so short and delayed. We had our grandson with us  at the game and he needed to be put to bed. Then my wife lost her cell phone, she may have dropped it at the Chaifetz, we could not find it  anywhere. This was not a good thing but stuff happens.

Now onto Duquesne, Go Bills!

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

A win is a win, this was not a clean win but we won the game. Part of the issue was the one referee calling all kinds of fouls on us and breaking up our game. Whichever way it is we are 11-2 as we enter conference play. I am a lot more concerned about Hargrove's injury than about the way the game was played.

Apologize for  being so short and delayed. We had our grandson with us  at the game and he needed to be put to bed. Then my wife lost her cell phone, she may have dropped it at the Chaifetz, we could not find it  anywhere. This was not a good thing but still stuff happens.

Now onto Duquesne, Go Bills!

Hargrove experienced cramping in his calf; he did not suffer an injury.

Not the prettiest game but a win.

I’ll take it.

This is a game the Bills lose the last couple years. With the depth and leadership of Goodwin and French we don’t  lose these games anymore.

Thank God Hargrove was only a cramp.

Weaver has been shooting great the last two games. He’s stepped up nicely in Jimersons absence.

Bell is looking better and better. Finally looking to score on occasions.

I wish they would have gotten French the all in the post more.

Free throw shooting is getting better. 

I wasn’t happy with the rebounding tonight.

The shooting needs to be better.

Bring on the conference schedule!!

19 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

LOL We'll see, the way the game is played now, poor shooting (especially from 3) is not an outlier, it's an equalizer, it's how inferior teams are able to beat more talented teams. If you think life and death struggles with the likes of Bethune Cookman and High Point due almost entirely to poor shooting is not a major concern, don't know what else to tell you. If you think you can win consistently taking 60 shots and missing 40 of them, well, time will tell. 

Did you pay attention to last seasons team and that team won the A10 tournament not shooting well at all.

SLU has shot field goals better this season then last season and has had balanced scoring with the next player up that has a great game.

SLU missed a lot of bunnies tonight and that has not been an issue this season but it hurt their field goal percentage.

I watched our team in warmups and the team was real giddy and not real focused and I had the feeling there would be problems this game and there was plenty of issues but this is a good team and they put their opponent away.