PD Article on Team Offense

HoosierPal

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

8.2 ppg 5.6 rpg on 37% shooting at Kaskaskia as a freshman.  Robinson's got another year to go since he didn't qualify out of high school.

doubtful, but hopefully someone at juco is teaching him how to play basketball.   i'm sure he was as unprepared this year as hargrove was coming in.   he wouldnt be on my shopping list.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/27/2019 at 11:48 AM, bauman said:

LB and 05, you two are hard to understand.  We all want the Billikens to become THE St. Louis team, yet you seem to take the position that going to a Twiter account (Chapley) with very few followers-all of whom are already likely Billiken season ticket holders - or a podcast of a couple of fanboys, which, again is probably only listened to by hardcore Bills' fans, is going to get us any additional fans/game attendees.  A pretty narrow and misguided viewpoint in my opinion.  Are you saying the PD need not even cover us?  If so, I couldn't disagree more.  Any reasonable PD coverage is a good thing and more is better!

This is the problem. We’ve spent so much time over and over trying to get the PD to expand its SLU coverage, and they hardly did shi!e. It’s time to give attention to the people who actually want to cover SLU, not the big shots who’ve spent the last decade saying nah we’re good.  But keep giving in to the PD, it appears to be working.

Littlebill likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

This is the problem. We’ve spent so much time over and over trying to get the PD to expand its SLU coverage, and they hardly did shi!e. It’s time to give attention to the people who actually want to cover SLU, not the big shots who’ve spent the last decade saying nah we’re good.  But keep giving in to the PD, it appears to be working.

I don't think anyone is arguing that we should give attention to the PD instead of Chapley.  That is nuts.  Chapley provides the best Billiken content that I can remember from a writer.  The argument is that we should all be clicking, liking, sharing, commenting, etc. on ANY articles / asking SLU related ?s in chats from ANY media source because that may (no guarantee) lead to more coverage.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that we should give attention to the PD instead of Chapley.  That is nuts.  Chapley provides the best Billiken content that I can remember from a writer.  The argument is that we should all be clicking, liking, sharing, commenting, etc. on ANY articles / asking SLU related ?s in chats from ANY media source because that may (no guarantee) lead to more coverage.

but in the past, has this helped? Im not sure it has.  So Ive completely moved on from the PD. 

billiken_roy likes this

24 minutes ago, wgstl said:

but in the past, has this helped? Im not sure it has.  So Ive completely moved on from the PD. 

I don't think we really have any way of knowing if it has or hasn't helped.  If I go crazying clicking, sharing, etc. and 2 other people are like you and just move on.  It is a net negative overall.  I have no idea what you and other people are doing, so I don't know ifmy effort is being wiped out by someone else giving up.  Now extrapolate this to hundreds of regular users on this website, tens of thousands of Billiken fans, and hundreds of thousands of St. Louis sports fans.  It's basically like voting in an election.  You have no idea if your vote "matters".

You could say that the PD hasn't expanded Billiken coverage, so it hasn't helped.  I'd be interested to see that total # of SLU articles over time or some other more concrete measure.  However, # of article is just one measure and there are numerous other variables besides clicks, shares, etc. that may change SLU coverage.  For example, overall newspapers have been cutting budgets and perhaps without some MBMs effort, SLU wouldn't even have a "regular" beat writer like Stu.

I like to read SLU articles regardless so I'm going to continue clicking, sharing, etc. even though I have no idea if it helps.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

I don't think we really have any way of knowing if it has or hasn't helped.  If I go crazying clicking, sharing, etc. and 2 other people are like you and just move on.  It is a net negative overall.  I have no idea what you and other people are doing, so I don't know ifmy effort is being wiped out by someone else giving up.  Now extrapolate this to hundreds of regular users on this website, tens of thousands of Billiken fans, and hundreds of thousands of St. Louis sports fans.  It's basically like voting in an election.  You have no idea if your vote "matters".

You could say that the PD hasn't expanded Billiken coverage, so it hasn't helped.  I'd be interested to see that total # of SLU articles over time or some other more concrete measure.  However, # of article is just one measure and there are numerous other variables besides clicks, shares, etc. that may change SLU coverage.  For example, overall newspapers have been cutting budgets and perhaps without some MBMs effort, SLU wouldn't even have a "regular" beat writer like Stu.

I like to read SLU articles regardless so I'm going to continue clicking, sharing, etc. even though I have no idea if it helps.

I agree, and I understand what you and others have mentioned.  Just for me, I haven't noticed an increase in coverage, so I'd rather just tell them to F off and avoid giving them clicks. 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I agree, and I understand what you and others have mentioned.  Just for me, I haven't noticed an increase in coverage, so I'd rather just tell them to F off and avoid giving them clicks. 

I would avoid the post but I’m a Billiken junkie who takes in everything written or recorded 

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I would avoid the post but I’m a Billiken junkie who takes in everything written or recorded 

and that's fair, I dont think theres a right or wrong on this, I just hate the PD

One of the issues is that it’s hard to paint the post as some kinda of big bad bully. They, like most newspapers, have been losing staff for years. And they’ve certainly increased SLU coverage in the past couple of seasons.

Dont get me wrong, I’ve never been happy with the level of coverage receive, especially relative to Mizzou. We should all support Carter and the great work he’s doing, but every time you clink in a PD Billikens link it helps our coverage and helps support the only major local newspaper St. Louis still has, which needs all the help it can get.

Pistol, Zink and bauman like this

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I subscribe to the Post, I read it both in print and on-line.  I read just about everything Chapley posts and the A10 Talk.  I look forward to the numerous Coach Ford interviews.  Increasing clicks for SLU is not on my agenda.  I click because I want to read what the author has to say.  The more Billiken coverage the better.  For those who don't like a certain aspect of the coverage, avoid it.  Pretty simple. 

The one thing I do avoid is the SLU Forum on the PD.

RUBillsFan likes this

24 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Kind of a boring read, but I clicked it for Stu's benefit. 

I'd be interested to see points per possession rather than just point totals.  

The last game against Umass goes to show that measuring by pure point totals doesn't mean better offense... because we turned the ball over 20+ times.  

I really want to see Thatch come back this year because he is such a lock down defender and capable offensive threat.  

29 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I appreciate the story because it suggests that SLU is playing a more exciting brand of ball than we have in a long time, which is true.  But it isn't the best offense in 25 years.  Those teams were high-scoring AND efficient.  This team is averaging 73 ppg because it's generating more possessions by playing a bit faster and crashing the boards.  If you look at the point per possession of the best Rickma teams, they were better offensively.

44 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I appreciate the story because it suggests that SLU is playing a more exciting brand of ball than we have in a long time, which is true.  But it isn't the best offense in 25 years.  Those teams were high-scoring AND efficient.  This team is averaging 73 ppg because it's generating more possessions by playing a bit faster and crashing the boards.  If you look at the point per possession of the best Rickma teams, they were better offensively.

Funny enough, looking at pts per possession, this year's offense is worse than the previous 2 years by about 2 pts per 100 possessions. And some of those rick majerus teams were 10 pts per 100 possessions better.   (EDIT: im thinking Pts per possession is down across the country with 3 point % being down due to line moving back)

That being said, I appreciate the story too and am down with any sort of positive print we get. And I would definitely agree this team is more fun to watch then many of the recent iterations. 

CBFan and Zink like this