PD Article on Team Offense

HoosierPal

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only real beef I have with our beat writer is his continued use of "St. Louis University" as opposed to "Saint Louis University."  Think he does that to keep the city in it with us?

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

The only real beef I have with our beat writer is his continued use of "St. Louis University" as opposed to "Saint Louis University."  Think he does that to keep the city in it with us?

Our jerseys at various points in team history have said "St. Louis" on them.  There are a lot more valid reasons to trash the P-D generally and in some instances Stu.

LB and 05,

Is there anything in my post that even remotely suggests not reading Chapley's work?  Many poster (me included) often complain about the level of P-D coverage so when we do get some ink, click on it to show the P-D editors that there is interest in SLU basketball.

8 hours ago, bauman said:

LB and 05,

Is there anything in my post that even remotely suggests not reading Chapley's work?  Many poster (me included) often complain about the level of P-D coverage so when we do get some ink, click on it to show the P-D editors that there is interest in SLU basketball.

I’m saying I’m pleased with what chapley gives me and that I don’t yearn for more print from the PD. 

who cares imo

8 hours ago, Littlebill said:

I’m saying I’m pleased with what chapley gives me and that I don’t yearn for more print from the PD. 

who cares imo

Chapley is excellent for those of us that are already die hard Billiken fans.  PD coverage catches eyeballs of casual sports fans.

cgeldmacher, Adman and brianstl like this

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

For people who still read the paper.

The articles are online as well.  Additionally, @stltoday has 252,300 followers on Twitter and @ChapleyMedia has 735.  Maybe that's not exactly apples to apples comparison, but @studurando has 4,231 which is still 6x more than Carter.

12 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

The articles are online as well.  Additionally, @stltoday has 252,300 followers on Twitter and @ChapleyMedia has 735.  Maybe that's not exactly apples to apples comparison, but @studurando has 4,231 which is still 6x more than Carter.

How often does STLtoday's main twitter account share our articles?

Billiken Rich likes this

39 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Maybe that's not exactly apples to apples comparison, but @studurando has 4,231 which is still 6x more than Carter.

Only one of which provides good bills content. Hell, the rick built podcast gives more actual analytical talk than Stu does.

Supporting good content is the name of the game. There are good billiken content creators out there. Stu isn't one of them - he's more concerned about his book

19 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Only one of which provides good bills content. Hell, the rick built podcast gives more actual analytical talk than Stu does.

Supporting good content is the name of the game. There are good billiken content creators out there. Stu isn't one of them - he's more concerned about his book

See the source image

LB and 05, you two are hard to understand.  We all want the Billikens to become THE St. Louis team, yet you seem to take the position that going to a Twiter account (Chapley) with very few followers-all of whom are already likely Billiken season ticket holders - or a podcast of a couple of fanboys, which, again is probably only listened to by hardcore Bills' fans, is going to get us any additional fans/game attendees.  A pretty narrow and misguided viewpoint in my opinion.  Are you saying the PD need not even cover us?  If so, I couldn't disagree more.  Any reasonable PD coverage is a good thing and more is better!

6 minutes ago, bauman said:

LB and 05, you two are hard to understand.  We all want the Billikens to become THE St. Louis team, yet you seem to take the position that going to a Twiter account (Chapley) with very few followers-all of whom are already likely Billiken season ticket holders - or a podcast of a couple of fanboys, which, again is probably only listened to by hardcore Bills' fans, is going to get us any additional fans/game attendees.  A pretty narrow and misguided viewpoint in my opinion.  Are you saying the PD need not even cover us?  If so, I couldn't disagree more.  Any reasonable PD coverage is a good thing and more is better!

I’m saying we shouldn’t have to prove anything to PD for them to cover us. We shouldn’t have to click Stu’s links because we’re the flagship basketball program in the state and ONLY team in this city. I’m saying the talk about STL today’s twitter presence and stu’s twitter presence is flawed because neither tend to promote the articles.

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m saying we shouldn’t have to prove anything to PD for them to cover us. We shouldn’t have to click Stu’s links because we’re the flagship basketball program in the state and ONLY team in this city. I’m saying the talk about STL today’s twitter presence and stu’s twitter presence is flawed because neither tend to promote the articles.

We shouldn't have to have  homeless people but we do.  Bauman is correct about the Post in my humble opinion.

GBL_Bills and billiken_roy like this

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

But the reality is we do. It's been that way for as long as I can remember, and I've been a follower of the program since the late 70s when I was in junior high. Clicks means $$ for the PD. $$ means more exposure for what the clicks are about. That's the way it works. The point is, it takes a second to click, don't have to read the article, just click.

RUBillsFan likes this

8 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

We shouldn't have to have  homeless people but we do.  Bauman is correct about the Post in my humble opinion.

And I’m right when I say they don’t promote articles in any real way and then hide behind lack of interest.

6 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

But the reality is we do. It's been that way for as long as I can remember, and I've been a follower of the program since the late 70s when I was in junior high. Clicks means $$ for the PD. $$ means more exposure for what the clicks are about. That's the way it works. The point is, it takes a second to click, don't have to read the article, just click.

i know how clicks work. The problem is that STL today does nothing to put the link to these Durando pieces in front of their readership. So now it’s only the hardcore fans clicking: 

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This isn't "hard to understand"

20 minutes ago, bauman said:

LB and 05, you two are hard to understand.  We all want the Billikens to become THE St. Louis team, yet you seem to take the position that going to a Twitter account (Chapley) with very few followers-all of whom are already likely Billiken season ticket holders - or a podcast of a couple of fanboys, which, again is probably only listened to by hardcore Bills' fans, is going to get us any additional fans/game attendees.  A pretty narrow and misguided viewpoint in my opinion.  Are you saying the PD need not even cover us?  If so, I couldn't disagree more.  Any reasonable PD coverage is a good thing and more is better!

Man too old to understand podcasts doesn't understand how to grow a brand in 2019.

Same man doesn't understand that more coverage in our paper doesn't lead to any new attendees. Word of mouth does more for a brand than a newspaper does. How is a black and white, underwhelming beat article going to grow the fanbase? 

In a totally surprising turn of events, childish other man who irrationally hates other posters passive-aggressively likes the illogical post. Are we part of the new media deep state?

13 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

We got plenty of coverage when Spoonball was at its peak.  I guarantee you we will get covered in a major way when we we string together 25 win seasons and tournament appearances with local players, whether MBMs click PD links or not. This is the town where local high school ball has a stronger following than the local college team, after all.

Ford has a better relationship with the local media and high schools than Majerus ever did. But other than a late run last March, we have not been a major news story.

Also, mid-major programs have to do more than the state flagship school to get substantial coverage.  It's like that in virtually every major market.  I can count the exceptions on one hand.