Program's Decade in Review

slu72

6 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

It’s not even a debate. He didn’t quit lol 

Who wants to work, live, spend time or play basketball with a whole group of guys who hate you.  Getting good grades and playing D1 basketball is hard enough - and possibly harder at SLU.  The time commitment, long physical practices, the mental grind of increased learning curve being high level D1 basketball is huge.  Coaches yelling at you.... but it is worth it if you go through this experience with your teammates - together.  Similar personalities, backgrounds, majors, experiences are not needed - just a similar interest in basketball and commitment to the team.  New soldiers who successfully complete boot camp in the military enter as diverse as can be but finish with a common bond and respect for each other and their branch of service. 
By all accounts, Gordon failed to give effort and failed to commit to his teammates and the team. The guys liked him initially, knew he had the talent but then grew to hate him because of his lack of commitment to them and the team. 
Say that Gordon quit on his team first, or that he never gave full effort and commitment and the guys turned in him, but the attitude of the team was earned by one guy - Mr Gordon - who received what he sowed.  And one day, Gordon said I don’t be here anymore in this environment. 
Are you suggesting that Gordon was an innocent victim?  The guys all turned on him for no good reason?  That Gordon had no choice but to leave?

11 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Who wants to work, live, spend time or play basketball with a whole group of guys who hate you.  Getting good grades and playing D1 basketball is hard enough - and possibly harder at SLU.  The time commitment, long physical practices, the mental grind of increased learning curve being high level D1 basketball is huge.  Coaches yelling at you.... but it is worth it if you go through this experience with your teammates - together.  Similar personalities, backgrounds, majors, experiences are not needed - just a similar interest in basketball and commitment to the team.  New soldiers who successfully complete boot camp in the military enter as diverse as can be but finish with a common bond and respect for each other and their branch of service. 
By all accounts, Gordon failed to give effort and failed to commit to his teammates and the team. The guys liked him initially, knew he had the talent but then grew to hate him because of his lack of commitment to them and the team. 
Say that Gordon quit on his team first, or that he never gave full effort and commitment and the guys turned in him, but the attitude of the team was earned by one guy - Mr Gordon - who received what he sowed.  And one day, Gordon said I don’t be here anymore in this environment. 
Are you suggesting that Gordon was an innocent victim?  The guys all turned on him for no good reason?  That Gordon had no choice but to leave?

Gordon is an at-risk individual — who's been traumatized — and lacks a sound support system.  Apparently, he lacks (or doesn't exercise) the wisdom to adapt to the expectations of any adoptive group.  I suspect he needs counseling, but even with counseling, the responsibility lies with the individual to accept solutions.  Surely after four, five, or six times, it's the individual, not everyone else, that needs to change.

At one point his Twitter profile said, "In God's name I play."  If only he actually believed that!

I said once before, after one of his aborted attempts to find "greener grass," that if you don't have happiness, contentment, peace, or whatever, within you where you are now, you aren't likely to suddenly find it if you go someplace else.

37 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Gordon is an at-risk individual — who's been traumatized — and lacks a sound support system.  Apparently, he lacks (or doesn't exercise) the wisdom to adapt to the expectations of any adoptive group.  I suspect he needs counseling, but even with counseling, the responsibility lies with the individual to accept solutions.  Surely after four, five, or six times, it's the individual, not everyone else, that needs to change.

At one point his Twitter profile said, "In God's name I play."  If only he actually believed that!

I said once before, after one of his aborted attempts to find "greener grass," that if you don't have happiness, contentment, peace, or whatever, within you where you are now, you aren't likely to suddenly find it if you go someplace else.

All that you say is true.  That, is why this idea that a change of scenery could help someone - not if the person is full of inner turmoil as you say.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

All that you say is true.  That, is why this idea that a change of scenery could help someone - not if the person is full of inner turmoil as you say.

three times?  no he had his chances and many people giving him opportunities.  its all on him at this point.   

35 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Only reason I’m adamant about what I’m saying is that saying he quit makes it sound so much better for him. He was forced out for being all said above

Him quitting insinuates we didn’t give him what he needed which is false 

What.... Forcing him out sounds way worse for the program than him quitting on the team. We want people to think he quit. Not the team quit on him. 

Also, can we please just let this topic die and focus on the positives of this decade.

cheeseman likes this