Who Is On Your All Decade Billiken Team

HoosierPal

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What could have been with Mitchell.  The year layoff hurt his career a lot.  He was still good but not dominant like he was his sophomore year.  The situation doesn't happen and he could have been on track to play in the NBA and his final numbers at SLU would have shattered records instead of just being top 5.

majerus mojo likes this

Well, a decade begins actually with the year ending in the numeral one. There was never a year zero. So when we started counting time way back when, it goes one through 10. So this decade includes 2020, the rest of the current season.  Given that my all decade team is ......

• Mitchell
  • Jett
  • Evans 
  • Goodwin
  • French

6 hours ago, thetorch said:

What could have been with Mitchell.  The year layoff hurt his career a lot.  He was still good but not dominant like he was his sophomore year.  The situation doesn't happen and he could have been on track to play in the NBA and his final numbers at SLU would have shattered records instead of just being top 5.

The foot injury his senior year was a big setback as well.  Probably bigger than sitting out a year.  He was actually slightly more efficient his junior year, but scored less volume.  When he came back his junior year the team just had more scoring options than it did during his sophomore year.  

SluSignGuy likes this

15 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Well, a decade begins actually with the year ending in the numeral one. There was never a year zero. So when we started counting time way back when, it goes one through 10. So this decade includes 2020.

I disagree with that.  That applies to centuries.  The 20th century ended with the year 2000.  We're not counting decades like that.  No one is calling this "the 202nd decade."  The 20s — for whatever century — begin with the year ending "0" and end with the year ending "9."  This decade, the "teens" or 10s, ends in 6 days:  2010-2019.

Merry Christmas!

Updating totals after 35 fivesomes:

Jett 33

Mitchell 23

Goodwin 24

Bess 22

Evans 22

Conklin 17

French 13

McCall and Loe 5

Roby 4

Ellis and Reed 2

Remekun and Foreman 1

Rolling this up for the last time.  It is pretty apparent that Jordair Jett is the majority favorite for the past decade. 

imo conklin doesnt deserve first team consideration for just one great year.  the rest of his billiken career was ok but not all decade worthy.   

slufanskip likes this

27 minutes ago, ChurchOfChaifetz said:

Love this topic. Been following the threads for awhile now, first time posting.

I think you have Jordair run the key and move Dwayne Evans to #3 and have the best rebounding/defensive team out there with the below lineup:

Jett

Bess

Evans

French

Conklin

Teams would score like 35 PPG against this lineup.

I'll go

Jett, McCall, Kwamain, Bess and French. 

Bench of:

Goodwin, Evans, Conklin, Loe and Ellis

1 hour ago, ChurchOfChaifetz said:

Love this topic. Been following the threads for awhile now, first time posting.

I think you have Jordair run the key and move Dwayne Evans to #3 and have the best rebounding/defensive team out there with the below lineup:

Jett

Bess

Evans

French

Conklin

Going for the best defensive/rebounding team and you leave out maybe the best pound for pound billiken rebounder of all time? 

billiken_roy likes this

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

imo conklin doesnt deserve first team consideration for just one great year.  the rest of his billiken career was ok but not all decade worthy.   

The criterion was "five favorite players," not a true all-decade team.  Favorites are very individual a personal.  A favorite player is not always one of the best players.

-in no particular order, the two brunettes that went on the cheer for the Rams, the blonde that could tumble or whatever it is called from baseline to baseline and actually throw past the 10th row in the "Billiken Ball Toss", from last season a 'dirty blonde hair ' that started on the AB song facing the basket on the end by our bench and from a couple of seasons ago a very tall brunette who was only around for about half the season (I wish I could think of a red head to balance the squad but none coming to mind)

12 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Conklin was first team All-Conference when Xavier and Temple were in the A10.

He was the glue that kept players from jumping ship during the difficult 2010/11 season. None of the NCAA appearances 2012-14 happen without Conklin.

Goodwin has yet to make any All-Conference team, and while he's been good (not great) this year and he gets credit for his role as a cornestone program builder...I think Conklin did more.

7 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Conklin was first team All-Conference when Xavier and Temple were in the A10.

He was the glue that kept players from jumping ship during the difficult 2010/11 season. None of the NCAA appearances 2012-14 happen without Conklin.

Goodwin has yet to make any All-Conference team, and while he's been good (not great) this year and he gets credit for his role as a cornestone program builder...I think Conklin did more.

We're giving Goodwin credit for a junior year he hasn't finished yet.  If the season ended today, he'd finish first team All-Conference. In that scenario Conklin gets the edge for his one great year in a stronger conference but Goodwin gets the edge overall for his career. If Goodwin's numbers taper off, then Conklin's single great year gives him the edge overall.

9 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Majerus' 2011-12 team ranked #1 A10 team of decade

Mentioned this elsewhere, this is based on an math formula so it doesn’t make sense to argue it.  However, the 2013 Billikens beat 2013 VCU twice (home & neutral) and the 2014 Billikens beat St. Joe’s on the road.  No way those teams should be ranked higher than SLU those years.

Edit: To not be such a homer, 2012 Temple beat 2012 SLU at Chaifetz.  I think that was before the 2012 team peaked though.  2012 Temple also flamed out a bit.  Upset in 1st round of A10 as #1 and 1st round of NCAAs as a #5 seed.

Edited by RUBillsFan