Who Is On Your All Decade Billiken Team

HoosierPal

Note that the thread starter says your 5 "favorite" Billikens making this even more subjective.  It is not the 5 best or the best lineup using 5 players.

This is tough.  I'm trying to factor in sheer enjoyment I got watching them with some level of off court stuff as well.  I'll go with:

• Evans - on court numbers speak for themselves.  A-10 all-academic member.  He also always seemed to be taking pictures with kids after games and seemed to play a pretty big role in / be a favorite of Joshua (little kid with cancer who team sort of adopted)
  • Conklin - great player, fun to watch set brutal screens.  Academic all-american.  Stuck around during some rough years and put in a lot of hard work to be great as a senior.
  • Cody Ellis - would probably not be on anyone's list of 5 best, but he was really fun to watch because opposing fans hated him so much.  For a guy from Australia who got screwed around by the NCAA before he could come here, it really seemed like he bought in to all things SLU / Billikens.  Blue hair, #RiseoftheBillikens hashtag creator, etc.  Also seemed to be a favorite of Joshua.
  • Jett - super fun to watch with his dreads flying as he crashed his way to the basket and finished at the rim, volleyball spike blocks on defense, etc.
  • Goodwin - I hesitate here because major parts of his game aren't all that "fun" to watch.  Are offensive rebounds / put-backs and missed FTs really "fun"?  No.  However, Goodwin exudes positive vibes / enjoyment when you watch him on the court.  He's clearly having fun and that make it fun to watch him.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Its also tough because you want to put together a team who could compete. I could go with 4 guards and a SF and be happy but I cant expect to win games. 

Putting together a team to compete isn't part of the listed criteria though.  In fact, @HoosierPal says there are no rules on positions.

The topic header is misleading by saying "team' because based on his criteria it is really just your top 5 favorites.

5 favorite: not necessarily the best team. 

ELLIS: Loved his flopping ability. 

CONK: Tough, hard nosed, The Screen

JETT: I have his T, but you just knew when he started his drive you were about to see something special. 

EVANS: He was an assassin his last 2 years. 

JGOOD: He's inspiring and he gave SLU a second chance. He easily could have hit the road after we effed him over those final games. 

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

5 favorite: not necessarily the best team. 

ELLIS: Loved his flopping ability. 

CONK: Tough, hard nosed, The Screen

JETT: I have his T, but you just knew when he started his drive you were about to see something special. 

EVANS: He was an assassin his last 2 years. 

JGOOD: He's inspiring and he gave SLU a second chance. He easily could have hit the road after we effed him over those final games. 

Wrong pronoun here.

Bess and then whoever.   No one else compares.   Total team leader on and off the court and the man ALL billikens forever should aspire to be.   

bauman likes this

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m saying currently, French would probably have it if both played out their 4 years but Willie as a 4 year player and French halfway through Jr, Willie would be the all time leader

Willie would have naturally broken Melvin Robinson's career blocks record in this implausible alternate universe. 

56 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Willie would have naturally broken Melvin Robinson's career blocks record in this implausible alternate universe. 

The whole point was to note that if we include Willie he probably should be included based on pure talent but based a well rounded player and personality, Has has him beat 

32 minutes ago, NH said:

Some love to a couple guys who understandably miss out on a lot of these lists but were valuable Billikens:

Rob Loe

Mike Mccall

Cory Remekun

Davell Roby

DJ Foreman

Roby makes my list as well. His perseverance, leadership and commitment to the program were a bright spot in an otherwise dark time for SLU basketball. 

My other favorites of the decade are Conklins, Jett, Bess and Goodwin.