The Bills over Be Cook by 18

The Wiz

39 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Never underestimate this board's ability to make anyone look like the 1973 UCLA Bruins.

Who would’ve thought Maryville would look like the ‘74 Bruins? Our guys surely didn’t.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Who would’ve thought Maryville would look like the ‘74 Bruins? Our guys surely didn’t.

Exactly. We're not a dominant enough team to play our D game and beat a mediocre team that plays their A game.  Maryville was a horrible team that we needed Hargrove in beast mode to beat. Our guys have to show up.

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

French didn't play in that game. That was the difference. 

Maybe this fanbase is the reason why this and past teams have played to the level of the weaker competition. They feed off that.

I see that all the time with Mizzou football.

8 minutes ago, Brighton said:

French didn't play in that game. That was the difference. 

Maybe this fanbase is the reason why this and past teams have played to the level of the weaker competition. They feed off that.

I see that all the time with Mizzou football.

One of the funniest post of the year 3 days before the new year. Thanks for this

7 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Good preview here of Bethune-Cookman, listed as #2 pre-season in the MEAC.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/meac-preview-2020

Funny coincidences on this page are that Jermaine Bishop is listed as a pre-season 1st team All-MEAC, and Ty Graves plays for NC Central. The info on Be-Cook makes them sound like a team with way more potential than they've shown so far. Good size, lots of experience, and important starters who missed last year due to injuries. Hope our guys are taking this game seriously.

Don't disagree with anything in the article.....

Here is a quote from my original post...

Next up is Be Cook....a team that will be fighting for it's conf championship with a 50% chance to be dancing in March...Whoa ...is this something our hand wringing nervous Nellies need to worry about....No...Be Cook is king of the Middle East conf....no not the one in Saudi Arabia...the one here known as MEAC ...or currently referred to as the bottom feeder of all D1 leagues.  This conference is made up of mainly F- teams...Be Cook 's D- rating makes it a star team.. 

As for Bishop and Graves....they both have the same slash lines on bad teams....F-/ B/ A+......Bishop...Norfolk (D- )...and....Graves...NCCU (F+ )

Can Be Cook beat the Bills? ...It would be an upset if it happened ...2 + letter grade difference ...B vs D-.....unlikely...Can a 15th seed beat a 2 seed ...possible but again unlikely.   I do agree with you that SLU needs to take this game seriously because Be Cook is just good enough to win if we play really poor..

Here are some quotes from statements I made earlier in the thread

"Bottom Line...As long as we do more than show up , we should be fine this game....The danger in this game  as in some other games we have played.......we play only as good as our competition....Put them away early and continue to put them away through out the game"

"Can Be Cook beat the Bills? ...It would be an upset if it happened ...2 + letter grade difference ...B vs D-.....unlikely...Can a 15th seed beat a 2 seed ...possible but again unlikely.   I do agree with you that SLU needs to take this game seriously because Be Cook is just good enough to win if we play really poor.."

We played poor but not really poor.

So how did we win this game?....

BC slash....32/25/72......SLU ....37/ 21/ 71.....not here

Rebs...BC...48...SLU...47....not here either

Holding Pope to 9 rebs....he had 19...again not here

2nd chance pts....lost this too ....15-10

It is looking glum for our Bills....but wait... we won....something must have gone right...

We did shut down their 2 main players (Pope and Bailey)....I wanted to keep them to a combined 22 pts...we held them to 15...including Pope to 4 ....good defending...Also Pope shot only 36%.... usually shoots over 50%

Let's look at our 3 stars of the game....no not player stars...but statistic stars.

Star #3....Fast break points....Bills kicked it with a 17-2 beat down.....Staggeringly lopsided and a game changer.

Star #2...FT shooting.....I could have given this award just on the fact that we hit 71%  ...we,  who going into this game   shooting  55% after cratering at a low of 50%...also #352,... 2nd worst ITN...yes we deserved this just on that alone....but let's look at the numbers a little more carefully...On the surface , even with our great shooting (for us) we only managed to match them....our 71% to their 72%....but if we dig down a little more....you will discover , we took a whopping 38 shots AND still hit 71%....The significance was we had 9 more FTM than BC.....A game changer and that is why this stat makes Star #2....another game changer.

Star #1 ...This was a tough one but once I dove into the details, this was the winner....TO differential....I had mentioned in the opening post that we need to win this battle and that it wouldn't be easy because BC doesn't turn the ball over much. and tonight wasn't much different as they  rang up only 12 TOs...Anytime you get down into single digits that is A+ territory....The Bills had an amazing 7 TOs for the entire game....which was a TO differential of 5 ....good for 10 pts....and another game changer.

You know this wasn't a pretty game...but we won..

.That's what good teams do...win when they don't have their best game....If we don't shoot well,  we will find other ways to win....From post 9 of this thread

And that's what we did ....found other ways to win

Some will disagree with me, but I think this was a good win....could it have been better...no question about it....but we were rusty and still pulled it together... a good win.

Old guy and CBFan like this