The Bills over Be Cook by 18

The Wiz

48 minutes ago, wgstl said:

seems they play to their opponents level 

It looks like that based on the 4 games I referenced, but really they're just inconsistent.  The best team they've played all year was Texas Tech and they got blown out by 35 pts.  They've destroyed a non-DI team by 58 points and narrowly defeated another by just 4 points.

I have a feeling they just match up better against some teams than others.  Texas Tech is a very strong rebounding / defense team.  Hopefully that bodes well for us against B-Cook.  UCF is similar to us as well though, so maybe that's also bad analysis.

B-Cook likes to play fast, so controlling the pace could be key.  I really like Yuri in that regard on offense.  He seems great at pushing the ball, but not forcing things / backing off when there isn't a good opportunity.  Slowing their transition offense down is a big reason Bell is may be a liability on D.  K-State got a few buckets that way, also botched some when they had numbers / missed open looks in transition as well.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Quick thoughts:

B-Cook is the 12 most experienced team in the country according to KenPom.  I'm not sure that matters much,  but worth noting.

I'd love to get French some more rest, but I don't think this is going to be a good match-up for defensively for Bell (similar to SUI or Maryville).  B-Cook doesn't have anyone who gets regular minutes that is above 225 lbs.  The only 2 rotation guys that you'd consider to be forward/center types are Pope (6-9 212 lbs) and King (6-7 225 lbs).  On the flip side, I'm not sure they have anyone who can handle bulk on offense, but Bell isn't much of an offensive threat regardless.  Hopefully, Bell can draw some early fouls on Pope.  B-Cook does have a guy who plays sparingly, Goodridge, who goes 6-7 250lbs.

Again based on KenPom stats, B-Cook appears to defend the 3 well (50th in the nation), but struggles to defend 2pt FGs (296th).  This makes sense given their roster composition and would seem to play into our strength.  They also seem to be a poor rebounding team on both sides of the ball (224th on O, 265th on D) so again we should take advantage.

Isaiah Bailey is 24th in the nation per KenPom at drawing fouls.  Therefore, I might avoid having Goodwin guard him even though he's their top scorer.  This would be a nice one to have Thatch.  The flip side of that is Bailey scores a lot at the rim and I'd rather have Goodwin's muscle keeping him away from the hoop.

I'd love for this to be a laugher where get get up big early and can allow French / Goodwin to get some rest before conference play.  That being said, after watching us struggle to pull away from Maryville, I won't take anything for granted.

I saw this statement and it didn't seem to square up with my report card...where I had given Be Cook a B in rebounding....So I went back and checked my sources and there seems to be an error in one of the reporting services ...Team rankings ...which would line up with your  reb statement in bold....TR has BC at 34.5 rpg...I am showing 38.8 / gm...that is a huge difference...my sources are Sports Reference....Sports Direct...ESPN...and the Be Cook Athletic Dept....they all show 38.8 / gm ...the breakdown is as follows...38.8 tot reb ...rank 84th....Off reb...11.5...rank 21st...and Def reb...27.3...rank 29th...Pope by himself is averaging over 11 rebs /gm

Bottom line ...It looks to me like Be Cook is a good reb team BUT we are better...my projection shows we out rebound them by 5-7 rebs.

13 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I saw this statement and it didn't seem to square up with my report card...where I had given Be Cook a B in rebounding....So I went back and checked my sources and there seems to be an error in one of the reporting services ...Team rankings ...which would line up with your  reb statement in bold....TR has BC at 34.5 rpg...I am showing 38.8 / gm...that is a huge difference...my sources are Sports Reference....Sports Direct...ESPN...and the Be Cook Athletic Dept....they all show 38.8 / gm ...the breakdown is as follows...38.8 tot reb ...rank 84th....Off reb...11.5...rank 21st...and Def reb...27.3...rank 29th...Pope by himself is averaging over 11 rebs /gm

Bottom line ...It looks to me like Be Cook is a good reb team BUT we are better...my projection shows we out rebound them by 5-7 rebs.

That's interesting.  I'm looking at KenPom's numbers and I assume there are a couple of things that may be throwing off the numbers:

1. I believe KenPom only uses stats from games against DI opponents.  The reason I think this is that he still had us dead last in FT shooting which I assume is because he's excluding our good FT performance vs Maryville.  B-Cook has played 3 non-DI opponents and (for the most part) absolutely dominated them on the boards (64-36, 54-30, and 41-30).  I assume TR is doing the same thing as KenPom.
  2. I believe KenPom is using O and D rebounding %s which adjust for tempo and team / opponent shooting %.  B-Cook plays fast and misses a lot of shots, so they have more opportunities to pad their per game rebounding averages.

No offense Wiz, but I think KenPom's numbers are more predictive.  We should dominate the glass and if we don't something has gone wrong.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Quick thoughts:

B-Cook is the 12 most experienced team in the country according to KenPom.  I'm not sure that matters much,  but worth noting.

I'd love to get French some more rest, but I don't think this is going to be a good match-up for defensively for Bell (similar to SUI or Maryville).  B-Cook doesn't have anyone who gets regular minutes that is above 225 lbs.  The only 2 rotation guys that you'd consider to be forward/center types are Pope (6-9 212 lbs) and King (6-7 225 lbs).  On the flip side, I'm not sure they have anyone who can handle bulk on offense, but Bell isn't much of an offensive threat regardless.  Hopefully, Bell can draw some early fouls on Pope.  B-Cook does have a guy who plays sparingly, Goodridge, who goes 6-7 250lbs.

Again based on KenPom stats, B-Cook appears to defend the 3 well (50th in the nation), but struggles to defend 2pt FGs (296th).  This makes sense given their roster composition and would seem to play into our strength.  They also seem to be a poor rebounding team on both sides of the ball (224th on O, 265th on D) so again we should take advantage.

Isaiah Bailey is 24th in the nation per KenPom at drawing fouls.  Therefore, I might avoid having Goodwin guard him even though he's their top scorer.  This would be a nice one to have Thatch.  The flip side of that is Bailey scores a lot at the rim and I'd rather have Goodwin's muscle keeping him away from the hoop.

I'd love for this to be a laugher where get get up big early and can allow French / Goodwin to get some rest before conference play.  That being said, after watching us struggle to pull away from Maryville, I won't take anything for granted.

Good luck  gettin' JG to rest.

4 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Are we sure this was said? Carter Chapley didn’t recall this being said. Would be nice if they would post these on YouTube at some point. 

In the post game interview  Ford said ..."we expect Thatch to be back after the 1st of the year in time for conference play"....He said that to Rammer.

moytoy12 likes this

7 hours ago, Old guy said:

Do you have any reason to  believe this is an isolated incident?

It happens from time to time...sometimes you know about it,  sometimes you don't.  I have seen Team Rankings post messages from time to time and say they are correcting things...other services just "mysteriously" change the data.  When I see an anomaly , I check it against other reliable data sources. If you have 4 reliable  sources that claim Be Cook averages 38.8 rpg and 1 claiming that the number is 34.4 then I am going with 38.8 rpg.    Is the 34 wrong? The data shuffler can always say , he is leaving  leaving out certain games because they are D2. In this case , we are using the data for ranking team rebs...and if the majority is using 38.8 then anyone is using other numbers ... is at least out of step, if not wrong.

Old guy likes this

Glad to see the media is on the Thatch story as breaking news....Only 5 days after I  wrote in the original post in this thread.......

" Injury Report....Be Cook...none reported

SLU...Jimerson....Out for season....Foot

Thatch....Questionable...Illness....His status is unclear for the next game. This is the official report..................later, as per Ford in an update from last night  ( Dec 21)....Ford says he will probably not play in the Be Cook game but should be ready after the 1st of the year for conf play. Could be some good news especially with GJ out."

Perhaps , I should lend them my crystal ball.

There is really no reason why Thatch should be pushed to play early after only limited practice, certainly not to play against Be Cook. If this was a very important game I would see trying to play him, otherwise I would let him continue upgrading the level of his practice slowly until he is really ready to play.

14 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Yes ...It should be rare ...as in the chances of Beth Cook winning

Good preview here of Bethune-Cookman, listed as #2 pre-season in the MEAC.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/meac-preview-2020

Funny coincidences on this page are that Jermaine Bishop is listed as a pre-season 1st team All-MEAC, and Ty Graves plays for NC Central. The info on Be-Cook makes them sound like a team with way more potential than they've shown so far. Good size, lots of experience, and important starters who missed last year due to injuries. Hope our guys are taking this game seriously.

45 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Good preview here of Bethune-Cookman, listed as #2 pre-season in the MEAC.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/meac-preview-2020

Funny coincidences on this page are that Jermaine Bishop is listed as a pre-season 1st team All-MEAC, and Ty Graves plays for NC Central. The info on Be-Cook makes them sound like a team with way more potential than they've shown so far. Good size, lots of experience, and important starters who missed last year due to injuries. Hope our guys are taking this game seriously.

These guys gave both Georgia Tech and UCF a game. They are capable of pulling an upset. I see this a a trap game. We are coming off a big win and looking forward to conference play. It is easy to overlook them.