The Bills over Be Cook by 18

The Wiz

First, a great win over KSU....It was a great win because we beat a team that was playing over it's head.   KSU usually shoots 33% from the arc and 66% from the charity stripe...instead they shot 44% and 87% or an extra 11pts ..throw in the fact that they also out rebounded us and it becomes clear why this was a great win. ...For a more detailed analysis, see the KSU spread thread post game analysis.

Next up is Be Cook....a team that will be fighting for it's conf championship with a 50% chance to be dancing in March...Whoa ...is this something our hand wringing nervous Nellies need to worry about....No...Be Cook is king of the Middle East conf....no not the one in Saudi Arabia...the one here known as MEAC ...or currently referred to as the bottom feeder of all D1 leagues.  This conference is made up of mainly F- teams...Be Cook 's D- rating makes it a star team.. Meanwhile, The Bills come with  a B rating.... unchanged after our fine win at KSU.....when things happen the way they are supposed to happen, there is little or no change in the grades or numbers....supposed to be a close game...it was ...no change.

Let's take a look at the report card...

..............................SLU...........................Cook.............................................SLU.................................Cook

................................................OFF................................................................................DEF...............

PPG.........................C................................C..................................................B+.....................................C-

FG%.........................C+..............................D............................................... ..B.......................................C

3Pt%........................B-...............................D+-...............................................F+.......................................A

FT%.........................F-...2nd worst ITN.....C+.............................................................................................

Reb.........................A..................................B................................................B-........................................D-

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF rebs = opp reb

Bills  Offensive reb....A+....12th  ITN...down from 5th

Change from last game (UP means improvement ...Down means worse)....UP ..Def Opp rebound  and FT%...while our grade didn't go up ...our ranking went from worst to 2nd worst...no small accomplishment...see FT thread for more analysis.....  DOWN.....Reb.....Def FG%...Def 3P% 

Top 100 ITN

Stls....Goodwin ...40th.....up

Assts...Collins....30th...up

Rebs...Goodwin...10th.....French...27th...down and down

Blks.....French....22nd...down

Reb...Pope....9th

Blks...Pope....66th

Injury Report....Be Cook...none reported

SLU...Jimerson....Out for season....Foot

Thatch....Questionable...Illness....His status is unclear for the next game. This is the official report..................later, as per Ford in an update from last night...Ford says he will probably not play in the Be Cook game but should be ready after the 1st of the year for conf play. Could be some good news especially with GJ out.

Be Cook is a weak Off team and an average Def team with a strong D on 3pt shots ...they are just good enough ...we can't just show up...we will have to try this game...if not,  this can be closer than it should be.

WWN2D2W....The first thing we need to do is to deal with Mr Wildcat....Pope....Everyone on this board knows how good French and Goodwin are at rebounding....yet Be Cook has someone better ...as you can see from the above report card Pope is 9th ITN...but wait ...there is more...He is he is also one of the top  blockers  ITN (66) as well as leading the team in FG% and stealing....We need to hold this guy to 9 rebs....Also their other shooter is Bailey...Hold Pope and Bailey to 22 pts combined....Dominate the boards by 7...especially on OFF...Win the TO battle...they don't TO over much so we will need to protect the ball....we also need to beat them on 2nd chance pts....we don't need to shoot great but we need at least 45/35/56...

Bottom Line...As long as we do more than show up , we should be fine this game....The danger in this game  as in some other games we have played.......we play only as good as our competition....Put them away early and continue to put them away through out the game...

Go Bills

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Compton said:

Thanks as always. Hopefully this isn’t another Maryville and we can sit back, relax and enjoy most of the game. 

Is Hankton off the Injury Report at this point? Back to being healthy/available? 

Theoretically, if you are not on the injury report , you are available.

Well, Hallelujah and glory to the powers in Heaven. I missed that entirely. With Thatch supposedly coming back in we add a great defender and someone else to relieve pressure upon French. A ray of light comes to us after losing Jimerson for the season. Hankton, in my opinion, is not likely to contribute much. Yes!, this makes the 25-6 prediction more feasible. I love it. I hope we find out what was the fancy test they had to do, but it really does not matter if it is never revealed.

B-C has me a little worried. Just watched a 3-9 NC A&T team from the MEAC take Wake to the final minutes trailing by 2 with ball before losing by 12 as Wake ended the game on a 10-0 run. B-C is better than A&T and A&T has some very good athletes. We rarely ever dominate a game like this. Think back to the NCCU game last year when we were down 9 in the second half before rallying to win by 9. Would love to see us start fast and put the pedal to the metal but those games have been few and far between.

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

B-C has me a little worried. Just watched a 3-9 NC A&T team from the MEAC take Wake to the final minutes trailing by 2 with ball before losing by 12 as Wake ended the game on a 10-0 run. B-C is better than A&T and A&T has some very good athletes. We rarely ever dominate a game like this. Think back to the NCCU game last year when we were down 9 in the second half before rallying to win by 9. Would love to see us start fast and put the pedal to the metal but those games have been few and far between.

An interesting comparison and an interesting game....As you point out NCAT is another team from the weak MEAC....coming in at F+ vs Be Cook at D-....meanwhile you have Wake at B-  vs SLU at B....NCAT slightly worse than BC and SLU slightly better than Wake...very comparable.  I had Wake  favored by 18...same number of pts as our game...The game itself was a  3 pt  shooting anomaly.  Wake a decent shooting 3 pt team (B- ) had a disastrous night...shooting 20% from the arc. On the other side of the coin , you had NCAT an F- team ...one of the worst shooting 3 pt teams ITN...have an unbelievable night from the arc shooting 47%.  Both team had a swing of 3pt  baskets....Wake missed 3 extra 3s and NCAT made an extra three 3s....a swing of six 3s or 18 pts...the entire spread.. Yet in the end Wake was able to pull off a 12 pt win  ...even with the scary end game. The deciding factor  in the game  was NCAT had 20 TOs....20 TOs is a death blow in college basketball...like having 10 walks in a baseball game.

So what is the lesson here?....And what does this mean to The Bills?...Good teams find ways to win even when things don't go right.....Wake Forest was the better team...Things didn't go right...they found another way to win by forcing TOs.....Btw.  a swing of 18 pts against another ACC team and Wake would have been doomed....An 18 pt swing only works against bad teams.

What does it mean for The Bills?  I am hoping we have a good shooting game against the Cooks (see the  minimum slash line listed in the original post), but if we don't,  there are some other ways for us to win. This strategy won't work against Dayton  but we aren't playing Dayton in the next game.

Hopefully the team is worried enough to keep their focus on the game.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I love his showtime style and freak athleticism but I’m hoping to see more of him making plays himself 

So, you want to see junior or senior version of him as a freshman?  He's a great athlete learning to become a basketball player.  If he puts all that together this year, he'll be putting his name in for the 2021 NBA draft.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

So, you want to see junior or senior version of him as a freshman?  He's a great athlete learning to become a basketball player.  If he puts all that together this year, he'll be putting his name in for the 2021 NBA draft.

47 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

And it seems he has it in him already at this point.  That little pull-up/floater he made against KSU was nice.  

Both fair points. 

Quick thoughts:

B-Cook is the 12 most experienced team in the country according to KenPom.  I'm not sure that matters much,  but worth noting.

I'd love to get French some more rest, but I don't think this is going to be a good match-up for defensively for Bell (similar to SUI or Maryville).  B-Cook doesn't have anyone who gets regular minutes that is above 225 lbs.  The only 2 rotation guys that you'd consider to be forward/center types are Pope (6-9 212 lbs) and King (6-7 225 lbs).  On the flip side, I'm not sure they have anyone who can handle bulk on offense, but Bell isn't much of an offensive threat regardless.  Hopefully, Bell can draw some early fouls on Pope.  B-Cook does have a guy who plays sparingly, Goodridge, who goes 6-7 250lbs.

Again based on KenPom stats, B-Cook appears to defend the 3 well (50th in the nation), but struggles to defend 2pt FGs (296th).  This makes sense given their roster composition and would seem to play into our strength.  They also seem to be a poor rebounding team on both sides of the ball (224th on O, 265th on D) so again we should take advantage.

Isaiah Bailey is 24th in the nation per KenPom at drawing fouls.  Therefore, I might avoid having Goodwin guard him even though he's their top scorer.  This would be a nice one to have Thatch.  The flip side of that is Bailey scores a lot at the rim and I'd rather have Goodwin's muscle keeping him away from the hoop.

I'd love for this to be a laugher where get get up big early and can allow French / Goodwin to get some rest before conference play.  That being said, after watching us struggle to pull away from Maryville, I won't take anything for granted.

CBFan likes this

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Saw some B-CU against Gt and UCF, much better team than I expected. 

Yep.  The took two good teams that are ranked similar to us (GT 3 pt margin and UCF 5 pt margin) down to the the wire at their places.  I'm not sure we can totally overlook them.

On the flip side, they've lost some games to bad teams (Nebraska Omaha 29 pt margin and Jacksonville 22 pt margin) by wide margins.  They also only have 3 DI wins all against bad / awful opponents.  Three of their 6 wins are against non-DI schools.

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Yep.  The took two good teams that are ranked similar to us (GT 3 pt margin and UCF 5 pt margin) down to the the wire at their places.  I'm not sure we can totally overlook them.

On the flip side, they've lost some games to bad teams (Nebraska Omaha 29 pt margin and Jacksonville 22 pt margin) by wide margins.  They also only have 3 DI wins all against bad / awful opponents.  Three of their 6 wins are against non-DI schools.

seems they play to their opponents level