Jimerson: Out for the Season w/broken foot

moytoy12

20 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Maybe but don’t confuse scoring with outside shooting.  Successful outside shooting not only results in 3 points vs 2 but also creates the spacing required for French and Goodwin. 

That's the main reason we'll miss him. However, if Jacobs and Weaver can pick up some of the slack that may open things up for him.

After our experience with Wellmer and his foot problems, Jimerson should not rush things. Take the time and let the healing process run it's course.

If I recall correctly Wellmer had  foot problems that dated back to his prep school days, so their two situations may be totally different; a chronic problem for Eliot but a one time event for Gibson. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ya what's the likelihood this is a lingering problem for years to come?

As the Old Guy will tell you foot injuries are tricky devils. But again I think Wellmer's issues might have been a genetic problem, call it weak feet for lack of a medical term. I hope that is not the case with Jimerson and he comes back totally fixed, good as new. But foot problems do seem to be nagging.

Hoping we are all right about Jimerson- then again we all diagnosed him with only a sprain and extra precaution in the walking boot.  
But surgery?  Following hope for different result?  10-12 week recovery. Injured in practice. Question to medical community:  most likely a fracture of one of the smaller bones?  How common would this be?  Small pin holding bone together? If so, do these pins need to be removed or they just stay?  Guess we wait for the actual news. 

15 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Hoping we are all right about Jimerson- then again we all diagnosed him with only a sprain and extra precaution in the walking boot.  
But surgery?  Following hope for different result?  10-12 week recovery. Injured in practice. Question to medical community:  most likely a fracture of one of the smaller bones?  How common would this be?  Small pin holding bone together? If so, do these pins need to be removed or they just stay?  Guess we wait for the actual news. 

That could be a long wait.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

That's the main reason we'll miss him. However, if Jacobs and Weaver can pick up some of the slack that may open things up for him.

After our experience with Wellmer and his foot problems, Jimerson should not rush things. Take the time and let the healing process run it's course.

If I recall correctly Wellmer had  foot problems that dated back to his prep school days, so their two situations may be totally different; a chronic problem for Eliot but a one time event for Gibson. 

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ya what's the likelihood this is a lingering problem for years to come?

55 minutes ago, slu72 said:

As the Old Guy will tell you foot injuries are tricky devils. But again I think Wellmer's issues might have been a genetic problem, call it weak feet for lack of a medical term. I hope that is not the case with Jimerson and he comes back totally fixed, good as new. But foot problems do seem to be nagging.

30 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

The old guy will tell you that Jimerson's was a fracture that allowed full weight bearing on the injured foot. Welmer's was a non weight bearing injury indicating involvement of the Tibia or Talus and possibly the Fibula as well. Not so with Jimerson. I am positive that Jimerson's injury did not involve the Calcaneous or the small ankle bones because these would have also been non weight bearing injuries. Add to it the chances for surgical treatment of a fracture of the small bones of the ankle is very low, unless the aim of the surgery is to fuse the ankle which would not allow him to play again.

From all we know by what we have seen of him walking around in the boot, if there was a fracture it was of the metatarsals or the toes. The only one of these two that makes surgery to deal with surgically is a metatarsal fracture, and it would be simply treated by pinning. He could have been allowed to heal without the pinning but pinning the thing might result in a stronger better aligned repair of the bone. Since I believe he wants to keep on playing he might have opted for the pinning in an elective bassis

Of the other possibilities I  listed before, this is neither a soft tissue injury, nor a greenstick fracture. None of these are treated surgically.

Therefore, by exclusion I think a metatarsal fracture is the most likely case here. I think the chances for a full recovery  are excellent, and I think the chances of a recurrence are very low to nil.

Clock I made the tentative diagnosis of a soft tissue injury based upon observation. Now that we know he had surgery we can discard these diagnosis (soft tissue and greenstick fractures). We can also discard non weight bearing injuries and non surgically treatable injuries. There is not much left in terms of surgically treatable foot fractures after discarding all of these options.

39 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Clock I made the tentative diagnosis of a soft tissue injury based upon observation. Now that we know he had surgery we can discard these diagnosis (soft tissue and greenstick fractures). We can also discard non weight bearing injuries and non surgically treatable injuries. There is not much left in terms of surgically treatable foot fractures after discarding all of these options.

OG

Sorry  Did not mean include you.

You, like me and the rest of us, may be a MBM when it comes to basketball but not medical advice.   And your comments are certainly appreciated and the best anyone can do without a narrative, evaluation or reading of films. Only meant we diagnosed him w a sprain bc that’s the outcome we wanted and hoped for  

41 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

It could possibly be a lisfranc fracture were surgery is often an option

I don't think this is the case. Reading about the closed reduction/internal fixation procedure, and the tea leaves based on what's been reported about his recovery period, I think he has a fractured 5th metatarsal. All signs say having the procedure done quickly after the injury is the right move and the prognosis for a full recovery and a return to full activity at 14 weeks is excellent.

4 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

I don't think this is the case. Reading about the closed reduction/internal fixation procedure, and the tea leaves based on what's been reported about his recovery period, I think he has a fractured 5th metatarsal. All signs say having the procedure done quickly after the injury is the right move and the prognosis for a full recovery and a return to full activity at 14 weeks is excellent.

I'm disappointed we're not going to see him against Davidson. Just hoping for his full recovery at this point. 

5 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Just now, slu72 said:

I'm disappointed we're not going to see him against Davidson. Just hoping for his full recovery at this point. 

5th metatarsal fracture requiring internal fixation would be obvious on ordinary xray, with delay from injury to the announcement seems unlikely,I could of course be entirely wrong since I was not asked to review the film

14 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

So if one you medical know-it-alls references "PDR," I'm putting you on my ignore list! Heh!

PDR aka Paint-free Dent Repair gets one on the ignore list? I mean I know us health care providers are kind of like "body mechanics" but who knew? Do you see what I did there? 😆

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

1 hour ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Ford was on KMOX this morning and said that Jimerson would be granted a redshirt year.

What would he know? really that is about as good news as we can get short of this all being fake news. Inverse of last year sort of. we loose Gordon about this time of the season. He continues to be a world class nut job whereas this year we get a 10 game peak at a real phenom and then back on in the box and still get four years more out of him. could of been and may still be worse.

The only good news in this, assuming Jimmmmerson stays the additional year, is that it helps balance the classes.  

Does anyone know what this does to his statistics?  Is next year his freshman year. Do this years numbers count as career numbers? 

44 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

The only good news in this, assuming Jimmmmerson stays the additional year, is that it helps balance the classes.  

Does anyone know what this does to his statistics?  Is next year his freshman year. Do this years numbers count as career numbers? 

No inside info, but I would assume that this years #s count towards career totals and next year will again be considered his freshman year for record keeping, but the totals from this season won’t be combined with next year for class records.  I’m not sure why that wouldn’t be the case.  They always use eligibility to determine the class rather than years played.  That will lead to a weird situation where Jimerson could be on the freshman class records list for 3pt % twice.

20 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Ford was on KMOX this morning and said that Jimerson would be granted a redshirt year.

With a year of prep school and a redshirt year he will be an old Senior.

He’s going to dominate those youngsters with some old man rec ball moves!