Jimerson: Out for the Season w/broken foot

moytoy12

Sorry, posted in another thread and probably makes more sense here:

Just so everyone is clear, the rule is 30% - a player cannot have played in more than 30% of his team's contests.

10 is a really tough cut-off point. We have 31 games on our schedule and we get #32 in the A10 Tournament. Jimerson won't be below 30% unless we play 34 games.

Bottom line: We have to win at least two A10 Tournament games or play in another postseason tournament in order for Jimerson to qualify for a medical redshirt.

EDIT: I'm wrong. They go off games scheduled, not played. So we get 32, which includes the first conference tournament game. We need a little mercy from the NCAA on this one in the form of rounding in Jimerson's favor.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does a player have to actually play in a game before it is counted, or is it the team playing whatever number of games with or without the player before the medical withdrawal. Jimerson did not play in the Florida Gulf coast game or in the Maryville game. He has actually played in 9 games this season. I just do not know how the number of games is counted. Anyone does?

Just now, Old guy said:

Does a player have to actually play in a game before it is counted, or is it the team playing whatever number of games with or without the player before the medical withdrawal. Jimerson did not play in the Florida Gulf coast game or in the Maryville game. He has actually played in 9 games this season. I just do not know how the number of games is counted. Anyone does?

FGCU game counts in the total because he played in a games after that. Maryville doesn’t 

58 minutes ago, Old guy said:

That is my undestanding

2 hours ago, David King said:

Thanks for talking me off of the ledge.

All good now Mr. King what a win

29 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

In cases like these, where the margin is so close, what would the NCAAs incentive be to deny the waiver? Just to be dicks and maintain their general image?

Yes

11 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I don't know if that's correct.  It didn't seem to be the case with Bishop or Welmer.

It's not.  Here's an example with Connor McCaffery, who is currently a redshirt sophomore at Iowa. 

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2018/3/27/17167672/ncaa-approves-medical-hardship-waiver-for-iowa-hawkeyes-basketball-connor-mccaffery-eligiblity

While the 2017-’18 season may not have gone as well as Hawkeye fans may have wanted, they did get some good news earlier this week, when the Big Ten announced that freshman guard Connor McCaffery had been granted a medical hardship waiver.

The more I think about the injury, the more I think that it doesn't sink the season. Jimerson and Perkins are very similar players with the same function, basically as super-scoring 6th men. Jimerson is a much better shooter, but Perkins can score at all levels. Both really can only guard wings, as they can't stay with super quick guards, and probably get outmuscled by bigs. So there will be matchups where they get exploited.

Still, Perkins does what Jimerson does: score. And he's getting much better at it. After first five games, no double digits. Last seven, double digits in 5. And he's doing it more efficiently, making more 3s, shooting at a higher %, and getting to the line a lot, where he's 76%. Kind of crazy he got buried against Valpo, playing just 2 minutes, given how valuable he is.

We will miss Jimerson because he's our best shooter, but we can get his scoring from Perkins/Weaver/Hargrove. We will need Thatch for toughness, esp. in games when Goodwin struggles and Hargrove disappears. I like who we are though, and this season continues to be promising. 

almaman likes this

2 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

The more I think about the injury, the more I think that it doesn't sink the season. Jimerson and Perkins are very similar players with the same function, basically as super-scoring 6th men. Jimerson is a much better shooter, but Perkins can score at all levels. Both really can only guard wings, as they can't stay with super quick guards, and probably get outmuscled by bigs. So there will be matchups where they get exploited.

Still, Perkins does what Jimerson does: score. And he's getting much better at it. After first five games, no double digits. Last seven, double digits in 5. And he's doing it more efficiently, making more 3s, shooting at a higher %, and getting to the line a lot, where he's 76%. Kind of crazy he got buried against Valpo, playing just 2 minutes, given how valuable he is.

We will miss Jimerson because he's our best shooter, but we can get his scoring from Perkins/Weaver/Hargrove. We will need Thatch for toughness, esp. in games when Goodwin struggles and Hargrove disappears. I like who we are though, and this season continues to be promising. 

Maybe but don’t confuse scoring with outside shooting.  Successful outside shooting not only results in 3 points vs 2 but also creates the spacing required for French and Goodwin.