GDT: Maryville

wgstl

I did not watch the game so I have a question for those of you who were there or watched on espn+.  I am impressed by TJ's numbers, but who would he take minutes from this year?  Let's start with the obvious.  Not from HF, JG YC, or GJ.   The way JP is playing now, probably not many from him.  None from Bell.  None from TW, and it gets even more difficult to get any minutes once FT Jr. is able to return and takes some of the 3/4 position minutes.  I love hearing that TJ can be a force, but how does he get minutes this year?  A great problem to have that Billiken fans have not had to worry about in,,............................................... well maybe forever!

From a non-observer, great job TJ!

billikenbill likes this

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, bauman said:

I did not watch the game so I have a question for those of you who were there or watched on espn+.  I am impressed by TJ's numbers, but who would he take minutes from this year?  Let's start with the obvious.  Not from HF, JG YC, or GJ.   The way JP is playing now, probably not many from him.  None from Bell.  None from TW, and it gets even more difficult to get any minutes once FT Jr. is able to return and takes some of the 3/4 position minutes.  I love hearing that TJ can be a force, but how does he get minutes this year?  A great problem to have that Billiken fans have not had to worry about in,,............................................... well maybe forever!

From a non-observer, great job TJ!

Maybe you play him over jimmy Bell? Or Demarius? The latter is tough though 

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Did you watch him on defense? Did you watch him think his way through the game? Yes he scored by forcing his way to the basket and getting fouled. He’s earned minutes but Maryville isn’t Kstate. 

He scored 27.... is that not a record for this team this year? 
his plus was 35. 
idc if someone plays amazing defense but can’t score. It’s basketball, the other team will score 60 min most games. We need to get to 80+

Not saying Hargrove is Harden, but no ones cares about Hardens defense when he puts up 40

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Maybe you play him over jimmy Bell? Or Demarius? The latter is tough though 

You think TJ could have guarded Wiley?  I doubt it.  Hargrove has not demonstrated an outside shot.  Jacobs is our second best three point shooter.  

Does Hargrove deserve more minutes?  Certainly.  It will have to be situational though.  Look for the matchup where he can excel.

RUBillsFan likes this

17 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Did you watch him on defense? Did you watch him think his way through the game? Yes he scored by forcing his way to the basket and getting fouled. He’s earned minutes but Maryville isn’t Kstate. 

I understand this sentiment, but he was literally our best scorer tonight. Maryville obviously isn't K-State, but it doesn't take away from the fact that there wasn't a single Billiken better than him when it came to putting the ball in the basket tonight.

29 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

If that’s the case, then clearly my recollection isn’t completely accurate. It just seem like every time he was guarding a guy one on one the guy scored. He certainly had some blocks and nice place on Defensive end.

No. I think your recollection is right on.

Tonight we saw why we should be so excited about Hargrove.
We also saw why he isn’t getting minutes. 
He couldn’t stop anybody. The Maryville Guys were blowing by him left and right and those guys were not good.

His second block was because of his athletic ability and his inability to stay in front of his guy. The Maryville guy went right around him luckily Hargrove was athletic enough to block it from behind.

He put up big numbers but I don’t think much of his scoring works against D1 defenders. If he can draw fouls and dunk that’s great. He scored a couple baskets from 6-8 feet by shooting over the defender. Those shots will get rejected against K-state. 
The fouls he drew probably are avoided against better competition.

Im super excited by his offensive output but I came away understanding why he hasn’t gotten minutes.

2 minutes ago, ninedollarbeers said:

I understand this sentiment, but he was literally our best scorer tonight. Maryville obviously isn't K-State, but it doesn't take away from the fact that there wasn't a single Billiken better than him when it came to putting the ball in the basket tonight.

Totally agree. Travis is going to have to find a way to put him in a position to be in the game and hide his lack of defense

ninedollarbeers likes this

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

No. I think your recollection is right on.

Tonight we saw why we should be so excited about Hargrove.
We also saw why he isn’t getting minutes. 
He couldn’t stop anybody. The Maryville Guys were blowing by him left and right and those guys were not good.

His second block was because of his athletic ability and his inability to stay in front of his guy. The Maryville guy went right around him luckily Hargrove was athletic enough to block it from behind.

He put up big numbers but I don’t think much of his scoring works against D1 defenders. If he can draw fouls and dunk that’s great. He scored a couple baskets from 6-8 feet by shooting over the defender. Those shots will get rejected against K-state. 
The fouls he drew probably are avoided against better competition.

Im super excited by his offensive output but I came away understanding why he hasn’t gotten minutes.

I’m not sure we see him in the Kstate game but I’d bet BC on the 29th 

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m not sure we see him in the Kstate game but I’d bet BC on the 29th 

I agree with that. I don’t think the way he was scoring today will work against K-State and I know his defense today won’t play against K-State.

He might get some minutes against K-State if we go into a long scoring drought. Possible spark plug type guy.

Just now, dlarry said:

I agree with that. I don’t think the way he was scoring today will work against K-State and I know his defense today won’t play against K-State.

He might get some minutes against K-State if we go into a long scoring drought. Possible spark plug type guy.

Yuri alley oops and drive/dish scenarios to Hargrove would work against anybody.  Finishers, whether outside or inside, benefit from pinpoint passing.

majerus mojo and slufanskip like this

46 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Dude scores 27 and people still are debating if he should ever be on the court. Smh 

we have plenty of players who put up 15+ min and end games consistently with 6ish points. Newsflash, we need scorers. Gibson, Perkins, French and Goodwin are the only ones we can depend on for double digits 

Why do people always read too much into what a player does in these type of games? Maryville is a below average D2 team. St. Louis College of Phamacy’s RJ Wright put up 26 against Maryville. You probably think Wright should get Jacobs scholarship.

23 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Perkins has average 31 min a game for the last 4 games and Weaver hasn't been effective over that same period.  Playing each guy 5 min less would give TJ 10 min.

Couldn’t watch until the last couple of minutes. Did Weaver play at all?