GDT: Maryville

wgstl

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

82-69 final.

Credit to Maryville for playing hard and making shots, not looking the least bit shaken out there.

Let's get back to full strength and look about 20x sharper this weekend because K-State will eat our lunch if we look like that again.

23-30 (.767) from the FT line. I'll take that every night. Great job, fellas.

Goodwin's line: 39 minutes, 18 points, 15 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 block, 6 steals, 4 turnovers, 1 foul.

Hargrove's line: 28 minutes, 27 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 1 foul.

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

That was worth waiting for. So what now, Coach Ford? 

Just going off the board comments, I’m guessing Ford will emphasize his defense (or lack thereof) and give TJ a challenge.  Get better  on D and you’ll get time.  We’re gonna love TJ before it’s all done, that’s for sure. 

RUBillsFan likes this

Some good things ..... first, I was never really worried after the seven point halftime lead. Most importantly, Hargrove got his time.  They can now run tape for him and show him first hand where he is weak.  Overall, an A- game for the kid.  Defense needs work.  Secondly, his FT shooting is a lot better than what we have seen to date.  Second importance was Collins going 4 of 4 at the line.  We are going to need that.  Thirdly, our FT shooting improved because it wasn't Goodwin or French.  Goodwin was still on 1 of 3 and that won't cut it down the stretch in tight games.  

Martyville shot 52% when all was said and done.  Credit Maryville.  We outrebounded them 37 to 30 but they didn't miss much. Fourteen of those were on the offensive end.  It was a good game from the point of establishing some of our bench guys.  Disappointed in Jacobs and Hankton however.  Jimmy Bell needs to add some lift to his game.  He was a dreadful 1 of 5 in a game where I thought he'd dominate more.  Hargrove's 27 were an oddity for now.... if he can do half that moving forward I'd be happy.  Hankton was outmatched by D2 opponents.  Sadly.  Tay Weaver was shut out again; not expecting much going forward for now.  

We got guys rest in terms of French and Jimmmmmerson so we can expect a full complement come Saturday I think.  Good to see Fred on the court when it was over ---- he's still around.  Maryville played tough.  It was a big game for them in the city with us shorthanded.  Just what I expected overall.

In the passenger seat on the ride home from the game.  Hargrove in one game showed us all the reasons to be super excited about him and all the reasons why he’s not normally playing.  He scored 27 and gave up 35.  I love the guy, but don’t expect this effort to turn into a lot of playing time.

1 minute ago, cgeldmacher said:

In the passenger seat on the ride home from the game.  Hargrove in one game showed us all the reasons to be super excited about him and all the reasons why he’s not normally playing.  He scored 27 and gave up 35.  I love the guy, but don’t expect this effort to turn into a lot of playing time.

Agree, he is a work in progress and that's fine. The thing I like about him the most is his attitude,  he has not pouted due to a lack of playing time, the few times his number has been called he's been mentally ready always plays with great energy and enthusiasm. 

7 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

23-30 (.767) from the FT line. I'll take that every night. Great job, fellas.

Goodwin's line: 39 minutes, 18 points, 15 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 block, 6 steals, 4 turnovers, 1 foul.

Hargrove's line: 28 minutes, 27 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal, 1 foul.

16 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Just going off the board comments, I’m guessing Ford will emphasize his defense (or lack thereof) and give TJ a challenge.  Get better  on D and you’ll get time.  We’re gonna love TJ before it’s all done, that’s for sure. 

Expect Tj to guard Xavier Sneed

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Hargrove's +/- led the team, with +19.

If that’s the case, then clearly my recollection isn’t completely accurate. It just seem like every time he was guarding a guy one on one the guy scored. He certainly had some blocks and nice place on Defensive end.

7 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Dude scores 27 and people still are debating if he should ever be on the court. Smh 

we have plenty of players who put up 15+ min and end games consistently with 6ish points. Newsflash, we need scorers. Gibson, Perkins, French and Goodwin are the only ones we can depend on for double digits 

Did you watch him on defense? Did you watch him think his way through the game? Yes he scored by forcing his way to the basket and getting fouled. He’s earned minutes but Maryville isn’t Kstate. 

rgbilliken likes this