FT shooting secrets

The Wiz

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/22/free-throws-foul-shots-science-of-sports

A great article on FT shooting with interviews by Mark Price....4 time NBA All Star...90% FT shooter and former HC of UNC Charlotte...took over an F rated FT shooting team UNCC team and progressed them to  an  F+ , C  and finally an   A-  in 3 years on the FT line..............Dave Hopla--Shooting Coach for 5 NBA teams ...Considered one of the best shooters in the world...once sunk 1234 FTs in a row and in 2007 hit 11093 of 11183 for a 99.2% record.......Dave Love--shooting coach for 4 NBA teams

Bottom line...learn the right way to shoot and then keep shooting and shooting and shooting.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might not be a bad idea to get Hankton and Thatch, who cannot play or do practice involving contact or running with the team, to learn FT shooting mechanics and spend their time shooting practice FTs. That is, assuming their respective issues allow a non contact type of practice limited to ball shooting in a regular basis. I am sure that will lift their spirits and make them feel more of a working part of the team.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/nov/22/free-throws-foul-shots-science-of-sports

A great article on FT shooting with interviews by Mark Price....4 time NBA All Star...90% FT shooter and former HC of UNC Charlotte...took over an F rated FT shooting team UNCC team and progressed them to  an  F+ , C  and finally an   A-  in 3 years on the FT line..............Dave Hopla--Shooting Coach for 5 NBA teams ...Considered one of the best shooters in the world...once sunk 1234 FTs in a row and in 2007 hit 11093 of 11183 for a 99.2% record.......Dave Love--shooting coach for 4 NBA teams

Bottom line...learn the right way to shoot and then keep shooting and shooting and shooting.

Most of the improvement in UNCC's FT percentage came from players that Mark Price brought in, not from the players that were already on the team.  The best way to improve a team's free throw percentage is to bring in scorers who are great free throw shooters.

TaLBErt, AGB91 and slufanskip like this

13 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Most of the improvement in UNCC's FT percentage came from players that Mark Price brought in, not from the players that were already on the team.  The best way to improve a team's free throw percentage is to bring in scorers who are great free throw shooters.

Ha! 

We could dramatically improve our team FT% by benching French and Goodwin.  Eliminate the prime offenders.  Of course, I'd rather have an 80% win percentage with a 53% FT percentage, than a 53% win percentage with an 80% FT rate.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Is it that Price recruited top shooters or top shooters were attracted to a shooting coach (not to mention an a 4 time NBA all star) or that he coached them up......or a combination of the 3.

It is interesting to note that after Price left , Charlotte went from A- to C  in FT shooting the following year...

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Is it that Price recruited top shooters or top shooters were attracted to a shooting coach (not to mention an a 4 time NBA all star) or that he coached them up......or a combination of the 3.

It is interesting to note that after Price left , Charlotte went from A- to C  in FT shooting the following year...

Price was fired nine games into his final season and replaced by an interim coach.  The next year, Ron Sanchez took over and Charlotte shot 74% from the line.  This year, with a different set of players that Sanchez recruited, Charlotte is shooting 75%.  Again, bring in scorers who are great free throw shooters.  It's not that complicated. 

The problem is, Charlotte hasn't won under Price or Sanchez using that strategy because Price's great shooters couldn't defend anybody and Sanchez had to rebuild the roster.  Sanchez's crew isn't nearly as proficient from 3 but they do shoot free throws well.

The secret is to have a balance.  A couple of snipers who get to the line surrounded by defense and rebounding.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Price was fired nine games into his final season and replaced by an interim coach.  The next year, Ron Sanchez took over and Charlotte shot 74% from the line.  This year, with a different set of players that Sanchez recruited, Charlotte is shooting 75%.  Again, bring in scorers who are great free throw shooters.  It's not that complicated. 

The problem is, Charlotte hasn't won under Price or Sanchez using that strategy because Price's great shooters couldn't defend anybody and Sanchez had to rebuild the roster.  Sanchez's crew isn't nearly as proficient from 3 but they do shoot free throws well.

The secret is to have a balance.  A couple of snipers who get to the line surrounded by defense and rebounding.

I think we agree.  I am not advocating giving up offense or defense to get FT shooting. I don't think they are mutually exclusive. You can have a good offense and defense AND have FT shooting too. AND we don't need to be shooting 80% to win...I would take low 70s....just something respectable. The reason I started this thread is because SLU  FT shooting this year has become historically bad....The worst FT shooting in over 20 years....by any Div 1 team

To make your point  further...let's go back to that 9th game  with with UNC Char...the game that got Price fired.  UNCC was struggling coming into the game  2-5 ( there is a game missing...I don't count Div 3 games).    UNCC ( F+ ) was facing Chattanooga,   also F+.   Chatt blew them out 64-50.  UNCC had 20 TOs and was swept away on the Off boards and had only 2 pts on 2nd chances. To add insult to injury...the one thing that had saved UNCC in the past, was taken away.....FTs....Chatt fouled very little and UNCC had only 5 FTA.  With no chance to stay close, UNCC went down the tubes and so did Price , who was fired the next day

Moral of the story and to your point...you need more than FT shooting to win....However when you have some offense and good defense....and you have historical low FT shooting,  it will cost you some games.

16 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Im gonna guess he sank 1,234 and not 4 in a row 

Yes ...one thousand, two hundred and thirty four...as a comparison...if you took all the FT shots The Bills have made  this year  and last year and the year before and combined them...it would come to 1122...one thousand , one hundred and twenty two.

1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

How many people want to give up bully ball, offensive rebounds, and great defense from our best two players to make another five ppg?

Nobody.  And that really is the question facing Ford for the next two years.  When Goodwin and French graduate, then he will have to figure out how to live without them and that solution will likely be more conventional.  It's easier to find a guard and a forward who can shoot free throws and play above average defense than it is to find another Goodwin and French who can average double doubles and play very good defense.

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Nobody.  And that really is the question facing Ford for the next two years.  When Goodwin and French graduate, then he will have to figure out how to live without them and that solution will likely be more conventional.  It's easier to find a guard and a forward who can shoot free throws and play above average defense than it is to find another Goodwin and French who can average double doubles and play very good defense.

-I agree, French and especially Goodwin can't be replicated, they are once in a generation, perhaps once in a lifetime, players and we have them at the same time

-let's enjoy this season and next and deal with Nov 2021 when it arrives

12 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I agree, French and especially Goodwin can't be replicated, they are once in a generation, perhaps once in a lifetime, players and we have them at the same time

-let's enjoy this season and next and deal with Nov 2021 when it arrives

hopefully this is addressed to us and not coach ford, ha. 

I agree with every compliment about JGood and French. We'll take them just the way the are. That said, here's the real problem with a poor FT shooting team. A SLU lead of 10 pts w/ 2 minutes left. Here's where 2 minutes stretches out to 15, 20, or more. The fouls will come fast and furious. They'll realize the odds are in their favor they're going to make this game a nail biter. Missed FT's become nothing more than TO's caused by a desperate team pressing to get the ball back. I'll predict we're going to see a few conference games where the above scenario is played out. 

1 minute ago, Sheltiedave said:

And that scenario is why we counter with Collins, Jimerson, Jacobs, Perkins, and whoever.

If they can’t create turnovers with four guards who shoot 70% + at the line, they also see guards defending the three.

Why is yuri getting placed with the shooters? Hes sitting at a cool 48%

26 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Why is yuri getting placed with the shooters? Hes sitting at a cool 48%

Ha, yes.  TODAY, Jimmy Bell is a better FT shooter than Collins, 50.0% to 48.1%.

Today are best 5, regardless of attempts and playing status:

Jimerson 85.7%

Perkins and Thatch, both 69.2%

Jacobs 68.4%

Hankton 60.0%

Why is Yuri places with the shooters? Two reasons...

He is by far our best ball handler.

With two healthy wrists, he is one of our best ft shooters.

Wgst, if Bell is afraid to drive to the basket with the entire lane open, you and Hoosier are committing the fallacy of stats navel gazing without analysis. Bell cannot handle the ball under pressure to break a press. Yuri can, and does.

This is akin to the Boston fans bemoaning the drafting of Larry Bird in the first round. They could not fathom a broken pinky finger on his shooting hand would result in so many errant shots against MSU in the title game.

Judge players from their play when healthy, not while injured.

2 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Wgst, if Bell is afraid to drive to the basket with the entire lane open, you and Hoosier are committing the fallacy of stats navel gazing without analysis. Bell cannot handle the ball under pressure to break a press. Yuri can, and does.

This is akin to the Boston fans bemoaning the drafting of Larry Bird in the first round. They could not fathom a broken pinky finger on his shooting hand would result in so many errant shots against MSU in the title game.

Agree. While Yuri is currently struggling, he had a good history in high school at St. Mary's.

Averaged over all four years, he shot 68%. By his senior year it was 79% on 153-194 shooting. 

He'll be fine.

2 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

ah my bad, I thought you were splitting players just based on FTs. 

Well if the purpose of this thread was say....being last in Div 1 is unacceptable....To draw attention to the fact that we are at historical lows in FT shooting and we are better than this....and to draw attention by lighting a FT fire....then this thread was successful....going from games where it was a struggle to get 60% or even 50%...to an amazing 77%....where F-   FT games were the norm to a B+   FT game (1 shot short of an A+)

Many on the board will credit Hargrove with the boost....and he certainly had an outstanding game shooting 9-12....75% ( not to mention the rest of his game)  But let us not forget ...the rest of the team shot 14-18 for 78%...including Collins and Perkins  who shot 100% ...9-9.

The purpose of this post is to give a tip o' the cap to the Bills for an outstanding shooting effort from the charity stripe.....I call them as I see them....When it is bad I say it ...and when It is good,  I also write about it... and tonight it was better than good...it was a double chicken sandwich night...you get a free chicken sandwich for 10 FTM ...we did 23 FTM...thus a double chicken sandwich night.

Great job Bills....keep it up.