Marysville game

slu72

Unless there's injuries you stick with normal line up until you recognize the game is in hand then you mix in end of the bench guys. 

Coaches won't risk losing by not running with the best players first.   Furthermore,  it would send a bad message to the team if he rolls out end of the bench players first "this game doesn't matter".  Get a lead don't let Maryville believe they can win then experiment. 

slufanskip and billiken_roy like this

Because people seem to be curious, here are our regular season all-time records against regional lower-division opponents. This applies to those currently in lower divisions and doesn't account for upward and downward reclassifications, nor does it include all lower-division opponents, just nearby ones:

Augustana: 2-0
Blackburn: 1-0
Central Missouri: 0-4 (All games in 1916-1918)
Concordia: 10-10 (Last loss in 1931)
DePauw: 0-1 (1923)
Drury: 4-2 (Last loss in 1927)
Dubuque: 0-1 (1917)
Emporia State: 1-0
Greenville: 2-0 (Last regular season game in 1984, but they've been a recent exhibition opponent)
Grinnell: 7-7 (Series ended on 4 straight losses, the last in 1939)
Hanover: 1-0
Harris-Stowe: 1-0 (1944)
Illinois College: 7-1 (Loss in 1935)
Illinois-Springfield: 1-0 (This regular season win was Rick Majerus' 500th career win and he did his best to feign a smile before tearing into his team after the game for such a sloppy performance)
Lewis: 1-0
Loras: 1-1 (Loss in 1941)
MacMurray: 1-0
McKendree: 15-6 (Last game was a loss in 1980)
McPherson: 0-1 (1950)
Missouri Baptist: 1-0
Missouri Mines: 15-4 (Last loss in 1940)
Missouri-Rolla: 10-8 (Last loss in 1936)
UMSL: 13-2 (Last regular season game in 2009, last loss in 1983)
Oklahoma City: 9-8 (Last loss in 1984)
Pittsburg State: 1-0
Quincy: 3-0
Rockhurst: 15-4 (Our most common lower-division opponent in the modern era, we have not lost to them since 1936)
Roosevelt: 2-0
St. Ambrose: 5-1 (Last loss in 1941)
Washburn: 3-7 (Last loss in 1941)
Wash U: 29-34 (Last loss in 1951; played 4 more times between 1967 and 1985)
Westminster: 1-0
William Jewell: 1-0

Bottom line: A loss to one of these teams can happen, although we fortunately have not dropped a regular-season lower-division game since 1983, as far as I can tell. Again, this may not account for teams that were in lower divisions at the time and have since moved up to D-I. Can't afford to overlook anyone, though.

Go_Bills likes this

42 minutes ago, NH said:

The logic as I understand it is:

1) You need to schedule a certain number non-exhibition of home games as part of the season ticket package

2) Presumably, we’ve already scheduled as many Seton Hall, Belmont, etc. team as we can (I.e., teams that will help our SOS). If we could schedule another one of those games we would

3) Our options are then to schedule another buy game, similar to Bethune Cookman. Assuming you can find a buy game that won’t be too bad for your SOS you do that. But if the only options available would hurt your SOS, it makes more sense to schedule a D-2 opponent that won’t hurt your tournament resume

okay, makes sense

Maryville is 3-4, with wins over Tiffin, STLCOP (sorry, DB), and Lincoln, and losses to Walsh, Hannibal-Lagrange, Ohio Dominican, Missouri S&T, and Bradley - in a game they don't count against their record.

There's obviously going to be a lot of local flavor on the Saints' roster, so some of you may have seen these guys in HS:
Malik Barnett - Junior G, Riverview Gardens
Parker Long - Freshman G, Sikeston
Owen Long - Freshman G, Sikeston
Zach Colletta - Junior G, Vianney
Ari Jackson - Freshman G, CBC

The Long twins appear to be the leaders already, with Parker averaging just under 18 PPG and Owen third at 10.4. Jalen Gant scored 15 vs. MO S&T but that's the only game he played and that's the only reason the Longs aren't 1 and 2. It's a shame Thatch isn't able to go against a couple former teammates.

They don't shoot particularly well, but they're a respectable .709 from the FT line. They usually get outrebounded. They don't have much size. They spread out the scoring pretty well but I'm guessing the Long brothers will have a green light to shoot from anywhere if they're open.

There isn't anything on paper that suggests this will be close. Limit unforced errors and unnecessary fouls and we should be fine.

RUBillsFan likes this

I never said we should start all bench warmers. We should go with our normal starting 5, excluding French if he's nicked up. But this should be a game in which we can get to see some guys we don't know much about. Plus, if they're true D1 talents, they should be able to play the whole game and kick Maryville's ass. 

Read the article by Chapley, thank you Bills_06, and the notion of having had a Div 1 penciled in for some time where the supposed opponent backed out at the last moment stuck in my caw. Could this be Missouri State? There was some discussion about going against them during summer, and they have already reneged once on a commitment to play SLU. Anyway, whoever they were, hope never to see you again, particularly if MOState was the culprit.

We are coming to the game tonight. I spent time early this morning clearing my driveway to a decent level and the sun shining on it did the rest, It is clean and dry by now. No ice, no residual snow. We got 4 additional free tickets for the game tonight and could only give one away. I think the attendance will be dismal, but who cares? It is a break in the routine.

I do expect to see people playing tonight that we have not seen much of before. I do not expect to see French, Thatcher, or Hankton playing. And yes, I think this game will be perfect for Bell, and Weaver, and Hargrove. Perhaps we will see Diarra as well. Others that I do not expect to see much of are Jimerson and Goodwin, why expose them to injury (assuming we will do well).

I intend to write a report after the game, it may be interesting particularly if Hargrove plays a significant amount of time tonight. I surely would like to see him play a significant amount of time tonight. Hope I am not wrong.

cheeseman likes this

44 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Read the article by Chapley, thank you Bills_06, and the notion of having had a Div 1 penciled in for some time where the supposed opponent backed out at the last moment stuck in my caw. Could this be Missouri State? There was some discussion about going against them during summer, and they have already reneged once on a commitment to play SLU. Anyway, whoever they were, hope never to see you again, particularly if MOState was the culprit.

We are coming to the game tonight. I spent time early this morning clearing my driveway to a decent level and the sun shining on it did the rest, It is clean and dry by now. No ice, no residual snow. We got 4 additional free tickets for the game tonight and could only give one away. I think the attendance will be dismal, but who cares? It is a break in the routine.

I do expect to see people playing tonight that we have not seen much of before. I do not expect to see French, Thatcher, or Hankton playing. And yes, I think this game will be perfect for Bell, and Weaver, and Hargrove. Perhaps we will see Diarra as well. Others that I do not expect to see much of are Jimerson and Goodwin, why expose them to injury (assuming we will do well).

I intend to write a report after the game, it may be interesting particularly if Hargrove plays a significant amount of time tonight. I surely would like to see him play a significant amount of time tonight. Hope I am not wrong.

The AD/Coaching staff should never schedule a local opponent during a school break after the debacle with MSU a number of years ago. 

3 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Unless there's injuries you stick with normal line up until you recognize the game is in hand then you mix in end of the bench guys. 

Coaches won't risk losing by not running with the best players first.   Furthermore,  it would send a bad message to the team if he rolls out end of the bench players first "this game doesn't matter".  Get a lead don't let Maryville believe they can win then experiment. 

I agree with you.  All of the regulars should play until there are 5 mins or so left in the game and we're up 20+ points.  At that point, you put some of the bench guys in and get them some experience.

However, if I'm coaching this game, I'm trying to use it to prepare for K-State / upcoming opponents rather than using it to mercilessly beat Maryville.  For example, if we start out with pressure D and force a bunch of turnovers / get easy transition buckets, I'd call that off and force my guys to work on running our half court offense / play half court defense especially if I don't expect to force the turnovers vs good opponents.  If our 1-3-1 zone is stifling them, unless I plan to use it a bunch vs K-State I call it off and force them to work on man-to-man / help D.  If French is feasting inside on weaker competition, I tell him that he needs to work on passing back out rather than just continuing to dominate some poor fool.  I focus on our guys boxing out for defensive rebounds rather than using their size / athleticism to secure them.  Etc.

11 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

However, if I'm coaching this game, I'm trying to use it to prepare for K-State / upcoming opponents rather than using it to mercilessly beat Maryville.  For example, if we start out with pressure D and force a bunch of turnovers / get easy transition buckets, I'd call that off and force my guys to work on running our half court offense / play half court defense especially if I don't expect to force the turnovers vs good opponents.  If our 1-3-1 zone is stifling them, unless I plan to use it a bunch vs K-State I call it off and force them to work on man-to-man / help D.  If French is feasting inside on weaker competition, I tell him that he needs to work on passing back out rather than just continuing to dominate some poor fool.  I focus on our guys boxing out for defensive rebounds rather than using their size / athleticism to secure them.  Etc.

Gonna post the same.

I actually like the timing and the purpose of this game. It gives the coaching staff a whole week to prepare for kstate,while at the same time not having to worry about the players getting out of Rhythm due to a long break.

We’re too young and too far off of where we need to be, to just start new players like diarra and hargrove. If healthy id like to see more of hankton 

Couldn’t agree more. Even French and Goodwin have aspects of their game that they can work on and improve - as any high level player does. This game is a perfect opportunity to do so. You can’t just coddle them in fear of injury when they have an opportunity to keep getting better in a game setting. Same goes for Jimerson, Bell and everyone else on the team, only moreso. 

The second half might be a bench showcase, but the first half will probably be a our regular guys working on executing.