Marysville game

slu72

It's on ESPN+. Not to beat a dead horse, but I will anyways, I'd like to see this be a game where Hargrove gets extended minutes and not just mop up time. Let the fans see what the mystery's all about by putting him out there for some minutes with JGood and other starters. Also,  hoping Hankton can go as well. If French is nicked up let him rest and give some minutes to Diarra as well. Not looking so much for a blowout win like 110-50. Would rather see some lineups where at times we're playing our 5 FR. 

Edited by slu72

This should be like an exhibition game. No, we don't want to lose, but we might want to see what a guy can bring to a game and not just in practice. 

I don't know if he should start but give him a shot with some starters to see how he does. If he effs them up, then we'll know why he's riding the pine. But if he fits in and plays well maybe the staff might think he can contribute. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

This should be like an exhibition game. No, we don't want to lose, but we might want to see what a guy can bring to a game and not just in practice. 

I don't know if he should start but give him a shot with some starters to see how he does. If he effs them up, then we'll know why he's riding the pine. But if he fits in and plays well maybe the staff might think he can contribute. 

Not sure your advice will be followed, but if it is, then there might actually be a purpose behind this game. 

58 minutes ago, basebill123 said:

Do stats count for this game?

I'm not sure if this is being sarcastic or not because I feel like this gets beaten like a dead horse every time we play a D-II opponent.  However, I'm going to assume it is a serious question.

The results of the game do NOT count toward the NCAA NET rankings (which replaced RPI rankings last year).  Most other computer rankings (ex. Kenpom) do NOT seem to take D-II results into account either.  I'd imagine results could sway voters in the AP and Coaches polls.  If SLU was getting consideration in polls for example and lost or won a close game, they'd certainly drop.

The results and stats from the game do count for SLU's internal record keeping purpose (a win will count towards Ford's coaching record and French blocks will add to his record).  I'm not sure if the result and stats count toward officially NCAA records, but my guess is that they do.  For example, Majerus was known to have played D-II opponents most years and I believe those wins count toward his official NCAA record.

Interestingly or maybe confusingly, this game is regular season game for SLU, but an exhibition for Maryville.  Therefore, I'd imagine none of the results or stats actually count for anything for Maryville.

8 minutes ago, willie said:

I take nothing for granted. We have lost to UMSL. Blackburn took us to overtime. Chaminade beat Virginia. 

we have lost to mckendree.  

1 hour ago, willie said:

I take nothing for granted. We have lost to UMSL. Blackburn took us to overtime. Chaminade beat Virginia. 

College all star team used to beat defending NFL champs in the yearly pre season charity game @ Solder's Field every so often back in the day too.

19 minutes ago, disgruntledbilliken said:

What was/is the logic in playing a D-II team in December? 

a game to play after finals week that has little risk.  we as fans want/deserve a certain number of games for our season ticket cost.   but to fill the bill this scenario comes up.   better than nothing. 

RUBillsFan likes this

14 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

HOT NEWS.  Maryville's game tonight with Principia was canceled.  They will be coming into Chaifetz on fresh legs tomorrow.  Odds makers take note!

Weather or another rough flu season over at Principia?

The logic as I understand it is:

1) You need to schedule a certain number non-exhibition of home games as part of the season ticket package

2) Presumably, we’ve already scheduled as many Seton Hall, Belmont, etc. team as we can (I.e., teams that will help our SOS). If we could schedule another one of those games we would

3) Our options are then to schedule another buy game, similar to Bethune Cookman. Assuming you can find a buy game that won’t be too bad for your SOS you do that. But if the only options available would hurt your SOS, it makes more sense to schedule a D-2 opponent that won’t hurt your tournament resume