GDT: Tame the Tigers

8 hours ago, slu72 said:

FTs are no longer an excuse we suck at them. No reason for Jacobs disappearing tonight. He's got to step it up. 

Calling out Jacobs? Don’t let the one 20-point game fool you, he’s a sophomore essentially getting his first full season in. But yea let’s rely on him to beat this team on the road. 

8 hours ago, slu72 said:

We needed more of Jimerson. The 1-3-1 was not working. 

Jimerson was not good today. He was a liability on defense, missed all of his 3s, and sprinkled in some nice jump shots. The fawning for him after this game is embarrassing. 

7 hours ago, brianstl said:

I don’t know where he will finish in the voting (probably not the top 2), but he is the best college basketball player in the conference. If I’m starting a team with only A10 players, Goodwin is my number one pick. Not only for what he does, but he makes everyone around him better.

Goodwin needs to consistently be able to get his own shot (and make it) for this to even be remotely true. 

6 hours ago, slu72 said:

I'm not often critical of Travis, but tonight he was not good. At halftime he should have been stressing kickouts. But he hardly played Jimerson. The 1-3-1 was a total failure tonight. Go to man to man. The last guy we thought was going to kill us, McLemore, killed us. I won't get into the FT thing. Face it we suck at FTs. Not Travis's fault. We just plain suck. 353 in the nation is proof enough. 

What we needed tonight was more of getting Jimerson, Jacobs, and Perkins open for 3s. No screens, no kick outs. Yeah, they were physical but that's our game. We let a big W slip thru our fingers tonight. 

All that said, we are headed in the right direction, and will do well in conference play. 

McLemore killed us because he had a career game and hit shots he never does. As someone said, we held a team that averages 85 to 67. Think we’d have all taken that out of the 1-3-1 pre-game.

Stressing kick-outs? When we didn’t hit a single outside shot in the first half? Right.

Have no idea how we were watching the same game, but the armchair analysis must be easier if you’re assuming Jimerson cannot miss. 

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, dlarry said:

I would like another crack at Seton Hall.

We would be favored to win that game today. Not only did Seton Hall lose their best big Mamukelashvili to injury, Myles Powell suffered a serious concussion yesterday.  Seton Hall will drop out of the top 25 after getting blown out by Rutgers and will be lucky to play over .500 ball over the next five games.

Crewsorlose likes this

My takeaway after some time to think:

• Bell was solid. I love his soft hands. He also played within himself, not getting fouled out.
  • Jacobs was quiet but on that one o-rebound he showed a Thatch-like vertical; hit a big 3, missed a big front-end; when Yuri was out, why didn't Ford have Jacobs run the point? Goodwin was clearly struggling with his handle against the pressure
  • Jimerson looked very good on those pull-up jumpers. Wish he had hit a 3
  • Collins makes the offense run; he will learn to pick his spots; I think he needed to blow by his defender and make them pay more regularly, but I'm sure he was coached not to get sped up too much.
  • How can you not feel great about the present and the future as well? The three frosh + Jacobs + Perkins coming into his own!
  • Speaking of Perkins, he just doesn't seem like a guy who will get his in the flow of the offense. He needs to put the ball on the floor, create his own shots, and rely on French/Goodwin/Bell to clean up the boards when he drives and misses. He's clearly the best 1 on 1 offensive player on the team. If he can improve his passing/decision-making, I think he's potential all-ACC. 

Didn't get to see the game so just now watching the replay. Those fouls against our bigs in the later part of the first half were a joke. Would love to hear what Rammer had to say about them because one after another they were terrible calls.

Yuri had some great drives to the hoop and he is a gifted player but I hope his decision making on when to shoot vs. giving it up will improve.

Don't understand how college players could be this bad at FT shooting. Doubt we'll hit 60% for the year. Wonder when the last time a D-1 team had back to back seasons of shooting less than 60% from the line.

My big take away is despite lack of execution in a few areas on the Billikens part, they didn’t look outclassed on the talent end. They looked like a talented young team that has come along way since the start of the season, but hasn’t been in that type of game before. I am even more excited for the rest of the season. 

41 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

My takeaway after some time to think:

• Bell was solid. I love his soft hands. He also played within himself, not getting fouled out.
  • Jacobs was quiet but on that one o-rebound he showed a Thatch-like vertical; hit a big 3, missed a big front-end; when Yuri was out, why didn't Ford have Jacobs run the point? Goodwin was clearly struggling with his handle against the pressure
  • Jimerson looked very good on those pull-up jumpers. Wish he had hit a 3
  • Collins makes the offense run; he will learn to pick his spots; I think he needed to blow by his defender and make them pay more regularly, but I'm sure he was coached not to get sped up too much.
  • How can you not feel great about the present and the future as well? The three frosh + Jacobs + Perkins coming into his own!
  • Speaking of Perkins, he just doesn't seem like a guy who will get his in the flow of the offense. He needs to put the ball on the floor, create his own shots, and rely on French/Goodwin/Bell to clean up the boards when he drives and misses. He's clearly the best 1 on 1 offensive player on the team. If he can improve his passing/decision-making, I think he's potential all-ACC. 
  • Agree on Bell, of the freshman he was the most effective, very active and willing to mix it up and be physical. His best 25 minutes of the season. 
  • Jacobs was Jacobs, mostly invisible but flashed here and there but not really a factor. 
  • Jimerson was less than a non-factor, his sole contribution was 3 pull up jump shots, teams will live with that all day every day, other than that he played soft, no rebounds, assists or free throws in 22 minutes. How can you be 6-5 and not get a single rebound in 22 minutes when the teams combined to miss 80 shots, that's right , 80 shots? He would have played more than 22 minutes but Ford took him out several times for playing soft, getting out toughed for loose balls and rebounds. 
  • Collins was effectively neutralized once AU decided to keep him in front, play the passing lanes and force him to finish over the trees at the rim. After getting to the rim twice early in the game, every time he drove the AU bigs were waiting on him and had several easy shot blocks. 
  • Perkins is an inefficient, ball stopping scorer who does not make plays for others. He does have an explosive first step and a sort of awkward way of driving to the rim that seems to throw defenders off balance. He is the best on the team at beating people 1 on 1 but if you're always going to shoot and hardly ever pass you've to shoot better than 5-16

24 minutes ago, MichaelC said:
  • Agree on Bell, of the freshman he was the most effective, very active and willing to mix it up and be physical. His best 25 minutes of the season. 
  • Jacobs was Jacobs, mostly invisible but flashed here and there but not really a factor. 
  • Jimerson was less than a non-factor, his sole contribution was 3 pull up jump shots, teams will live with that all day every day, other than that he played soft, no rebounds, assists or free throws in 22 minutes. How can you be 6-5 and not get a single rebound in 22 minutes when the teams combined to miss 80 shots, that's right , 80 shots? He would have played more than 22 minutes but Ford took him out several times for playing soft, getting out toughed for loose balls and rebounds. 
  • Collins was effectively neutralized once AU decided to keep him in front, play the passing lanes and force him to finish over the trees at the rim. After getting to the rim twice early in the game, every time he drove the AU bigs were waiting on him and had several easy shot blocks. 
  • Perkins is an inefficient, ball stopping scorer who does not make plays for others. He does have an explosive first step and a sort of awkward way of driving to the rim that seems to throw defenders off balance. He is the best on the team at beating people 1 on 1 but if you're always going to shoot and hardly ever pass you've to shoot better than 5-16

Unfortunately I agree here.  I won't go as far as calling him a 'non-factor' when he did score 10% of our points.  But, when he was playing the wing in the 2-3, he would get man-handled under the boards.  Yes, at 6'5", he needs to get some boards.  He only has 15 rebounds in the 10 games this year, playing about 25 minutes per game.

I thought he was a little indecisive on taking somewhat contested three's.  Go ahead and launch it.  Lean into the defender and get a +3 if it misses.  We need a confident Jimerson to keep shooting from the arc.  They don't have to be perfect scenarios.  

I did like his three pull up jumpers.  Those were nice, and really only Perkins and Jimerson have shown the same ability to create and hit those.

I was sitting here scratching my head at how French only had one assist and then I realized every dish out resulted in a miss shot.  Only just a decent shooting night he could have and should of had about, idk, 5+ assists. That is the most underrated part of his game 

27 minutes ago, brianstl said:

My big take away is despite lack of execution in a few areas on the Billikens part, they didn’t look outclassed on the talent end. They looked like a talented young team that has come along way since the start of the season, but hasn’t been in that type of game before. I am even more excited for the rest of the season. 

Great post Brian I feel the same way.

If SLU shot 30 percent from 3 and hit some free throws at a respectable rate SLU probably wins the game.

There is no doubt in my mind that SLU beats KSU gets over the hump and finishes non conference with 2 loses.

Young teams will be inconsistent Jimerson and Jacobs will light it up again.

Jimmy Bell gives me a lot of hope he played well against a good team.

Our team needs Hankton and Thatch back as soon as possible.

brianstl likes this

Finished watching and my thoughts are first, that it's easy to see why Travis was so fired up about Bell in the pre-season. He really played well, has soft hands, and should, emphasis on should, become a 70% FT shooter with the good stroke he has.

Yuri's decision to drive on the possession with about 25 seconds left rather than take the three, or find someone to take the three, was frustrating to watch. Not only does a two not help much down six, but he turns it over in the process.

I've said before that Perkins and Jacobs will be key players for us the rest of the way. Perkins because he can create his own shot, follow his misses, and make FTs. Jacobs because he can slash to the glass and make threes. We've got to get him more touches.

JGood is an All-American at the "junkyard dog" position but will never be a reliable shooter. That's unfortunate because with a jump shot you're looking at one of the best 15 players in the country. He's a stat sheet stuffer, but the unfortunate part is that the stat sheet is stuffed with too many missed shots.

29 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Unfortunately I agree here.  I won't go as far as calling him a 'non-factor' when he did score 10% of our points.  But, when he was playing the wing in the 2-3, he would get man-handled under the boards.  Yes, at 6'5", he needs to get some boards.  He only has 15 rebounds in the 10 games this year, playing about 25 minutes per game.

I thought he was a little indecisive on taking somewhat contested three's.  Go ahead and launch it.  Lean into the defender and get a +3 if it misses.  We need a confident Jimerson to keep shooting from the arc.  They don't have to be perfect scenarios.  

I did like his three pull up jumpers.  Those were nice, and really only Perkins and Jimerson have shown the same ability to create and hit those.

There was one semi fast break where the ball was passed to Jimerson in the corner, he was briefly open for a 3. He did not shoot. Ford went crazy. Immediately yanked for not shooting. 

HoosierPal and Spoon-Balls like this

15 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Finished watching and my thoughts are first, that it's easy to see why Travis was so fired up about Bell in the pre-season. He really played well, has soft hands, and should, emphasis on should, become a 70% FT shooter with the good stroke he has.

Yuri's decision to drive on the possession with about 25 seconds left rather than take the three, or find someone to take the three, was frustrating to watch. Not only does a two not help much down six, but he turns it over in the process.

I've said before that Perkins and Jacobs will be key players for us the rest of the way. Perkins because he can create his own shot, follow his misses, and make FTs. Jacobs because he can slash to the glass and make threes. We've got to get him more touches.

JGood is an All-American at the "junkyard dog" position but will never be a reliable shooter. That's unfortunate because with a jump shot you're looking at one of the best 15 players in the country. He's a stat sheet stuffer, but the unfortunate part is that the stat sheet is stuffed with too many missed shots.

I have no problem with Yuri driving and dishing to Bell for a 2 in game where we couldn't buy a three-pointer and Auburn was bricking free throws just like we were. He just overpenetrated.  The best component of Yuri's game simply doesn't work against elite defense and he doesn't have a counter yet.  Same with Jimerson.

Bully ball is a blessing and a curse.  It helps us stay in games we have no business being in.  And it guarantees we will be one of the worst free throw shooting teams in the country because the guys that account for over 40% of our free throws collectively shoot about 41% from the line.

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I have no problem with Yuri driving and dishing to Bell for a 2 in game where we couldn't buy a three-pointer and Auburn was bricking free throws just like we were. He just overpenetrated.  The best component of Yuri's game simply doesn't work against elite defense and he doesn't have a counter yet.  Same with Jimerson.

Bully ball is a blessing and a curse.  It helps us stay in games we have no business being in.  And it guarantees we will be one of the worst free throw shooting teams in the country because the guys that account for over 40% of our free throws collectively shoot about 41% from the line.

I don't understand how Bully Ball and bad free throw shooting have to be connected. 

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

We would be favored to win that game today. Not only did Seton Hall lose their best big Mamukelashvili to injury, Myles Powell suffered a serious concussion yesterday.  Seton Hall will drop out of the top 25 after getting blown out by Rutgers and will be lucky to play over .500 ball over the next five games.

Idk how it works but I hope this doesn’t turn into a bad loss

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

My frustration got the better of me yesterday, but this is the right takeaway. 

2 hours ago, willie said:

There was one semi fast break where the ball was passed to Jimerson in the corner, he was briefly open for a 3. He did not shoot. Ford went crazy. Immediately yanked for not shooting. 

I went crazy, too.  Gotta fire that fuokin pigskin.