Putting this season in perspective

Crewsorlose

16 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

Yea 18 conference games and yes 13 non-conference including Maryville (not sure if crewsorlose intentionally excluded)

Intentionally excluded Maryville as that game doesn't count, but forgot about the expansion to 18 conference games. 10-2, + 12-6 means the team is 22-8. That's a team that may well dance. If the league keeps this up, wins over teams like VCU, Richmond, and Davidson will be viewed very positively. SOS will improve as BC, Tulane, and Belmont get into conference play. Team may really flatten out and finish closer to .500 in A-10, but, having gotten almost nothing from Thatch since 11/13, and almost nothing from Hankton, we should feel great. I'm optimistic. 

2 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

Intentionally excluded Maryville as that game doesn't count, but forgot about the expansion to 18 conference games. 10-2, + 12-6 means the team is 22-8. That's a team that may well dance. If the league keeps this up, wins over teams like VCU, Richmond, and Davidson will be viewed very positively. SOS will improve as BC, Tulane, and Belmont get into conference play. Team may really flatten out and finish closer to .500 in A-10, but, having gotten almost nothing from Thatch since 11/13, and almost nothing from Hankton, we should feel great. I'm optimistic. 

The Maryville game does count but not counted by the NCAA committee

6 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I know it would be awesome for a young team but I really don’t get excited about the NIT 

Maybe not if your team is not in it, but if your team is in it, you should be rooting for them to win it.  Schools still hang banners for NIT appearances!

Yeah, I get it:  you'd rather your team be in the NCAA Tournament, but if they can't get an invitation to the Big Dance, if they get a spot in "the little dance," then they'd appreciate your support through that, too.

Speaking of post season play, I wouldn't even mind this team taking a CBI bid. More experience. Also, are we heading overseas next summer. I think we qualify since it's every 4 or 5 years you're allowed to do it. In fact, maybe that's why our AC was in Spain. Setting up some games. I'm surprised with a campus in Madrid we've never landed a Spaniard. 

RUBillsFan likes this

51 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Maybe not if your team is not in it, but if your team is in it, you should be rooting for them to win it.  Schools still hang banners for NIT appearances!

Yeah, I get it:  you'd rather your team be in the NCAA Tournament, but if they can't get an invitation to the Big Dance, if they get a spot in "the little dance," then they'd appreciate your support through that, too.

that time we played in St Charles for NIT one of the least atmospheric home games in my 50+ years of attending live sporting events. 

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Unless things go spectacularly well, a NIT bid would not be bad this year with the young freshmen. I always thought that CBI year during the Majerus years came at the right time.

AGB91 and RUBillsFan like this

31 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

We can beat Dayton if we properly plan for Toppin.  Getting Hargrove ready will be key for that.  Because French and Bell are not chasing him out to the perimeter. KC, Hargrove or possibly perkins will need to guard him. 

16 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Hargrove guarding Toppin is an interesting concept.  Perhaps he can spend the rest of this season preparing for only that task.

I like Hargrove, but he's not going to be sitting on the bench this season only to come in and be the focal point of our defensive plan against Dayton. Unrealistic to expect/hope for that from TH.

French is going to get a lot of the minutes on Toppin. He often plays the "5" for Dayton surrounded by 4 shooters so you kind of have to put French on Toppin and play your best team defense. A 6'9" toppin would eat up anyone else that we threw at him. He's a 1st round draft pick. He's going to cause mismatches vs any team Dayton plays against.

28 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

I like Hargrove, but he's not going to be sitting on the bench this season only to come in and be the focal point of our defensive plan against Dayton. Unrealistic to expect/hope for that from TH.

French is going to get a lot of the minutes on Toppin. He often plays the "5" for Dayton surrounded by 4 shooters so you kind of have to put French on Toppin and play your best team defense. A 6'9" toppin would eat up anyone else that we threw at him. He's a 1st round draft pick. He's going to cause mismatches vs any team Dayton plays against.

You know who did a good job on Toppin? Thatch. Obviously, the moments were limited but Fred was really effective.  Man, I hope we get a healthy Fred Thatch back soon.

35 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

That is not my recollection.  I thought it was a good game and a decent crowd

I think that one was against ND.  Given we were playing in an arena that was not ours and it was all last minute, I thought the crowd was good and responded well during the game. Honestly, there was plenty working against it but the end result was about as good as could be expected.

7 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

You know who did a good job on Toppin? Thatch. Obviously, the moments were limited but Fred was really effective.  Man, I hope we get a healthy Fred Thatch back soon.

You are correct...even with the height difference.  I think prepping hargrove for him would be interesting though. He has the athleticism to do it

17 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I think that one was against ND.  Given we were playing in an arena that was not ours and it was all last minute, I thought the crowd was good and responded well during the game. Honestly, there was plenty working against it but the end result was about as good as could be expected.

It was against Iowa.

Drejaj hit a shot at the buzzer to win it.

Billiken Rich likes this

10 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

You are correct...even with the height difference.  I think prepping hargrove for him would be interesting though. He has the athleticism to do it

Are we watching the same player? I'm not seeing somebody with great lateral quickness. At the end of the day, though, if Toppin beats you on jumpers and 3s you live with it. Need somebody to keep him from dominating in the post.

billiken_roy likes this

22 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

I wasn't actually suggesting that he only do that for the rest of the season.  Some comments don't need to be taken literally.  I just thought it was an interesting idea to prepare him to shut down Toppin given Hargrove's athleticism.  He hasn't been doing much in the games so far.  I expect Hargrove to slowly contribute more and more over the years.  I just thought preparing him to guard Toppin was a fun thought.