Auburn over The Bills by 10

The Wiz

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to keep my expectations in check here. The Seton Hall game still embedded in my mind. But we hung with the Hall in the 2nd half, of course Hall was probably in coast mode by then. Also, that was the first time our FR played a ranked team. Nerves. We just can't get off to a slow start and dig ourselves a sink hole we can't escape. Crowd is gonna be a factor as those crazy War Eagle fans are still pumped over beating Bama in the Iron Bowl. Hope the FR don't get intimidated. 

27 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I had an interesting Billiken centric dream last night too. Didn’t have a specific final but we were playing well and winning.

Never mind the fact that in my dream the game was a combination of basketball and volleyball and took place underneath a hot air balloon. I still think it’s predictive 

rgbilliken likes this

“We have just got to match their physicality,” McLemore said. “They have got one rebounding guard, and one rebounding big, and we have got to make sure we match their physicality and keep them off the boards and try to limit their second-chance points.”

Mr. Mclemore will definitely know their names after the game!

billiken_roy likes this

On 12/11/2019 at 6:53 PM, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Furman brought Auburn to OT, Georgia Southern played them close, and lowly South Alabama lost by 1....all 3 lesser teams than SLU. I won't be surprised if we beat this overrated SEC team and you bet your ass we cover those 10 points. IF we do not win, it won't be because of foul trouble or turnovers, it will be because of missed free throws.

Well in a little bit I will be taking off down I-20 to Birmingham. Hoping for just a good game.

It has been awhile, maybe 15 years, used to catch the Bills, back in the old Great Midwest/CUSA days,  play UAB in the Legacy. 

Go Bills!!

Close ...but no cigar. But we had a chance to win....with a decent (or less ) game

Let's see what happened. From the original post WWN2D2W

Let's start with the good

Our big strength this year has been rebounding...Unfortunately that is also an Aub strength....The computer shows us even with Aub on the boards....We won this battle 51-45... an important battle including off reb 21-18...excellent.

Doughty is their scorer ...hold him to 14 pts....8 pts ...great job

Wiley and Okoro will try to dominate inside....keep them to a combined 18pts...20 pts...close enough

also keep Wiley off the boards ...hold him to less than 9 rebs.......8 rebs...nice 

And then the bad....

We need decent shooting....48/38/ 64...Not even close...38/17/42...3 F-'s ...as it turned out we didn't even need decent shooting...had we made three more 3s for a sub par 33% (Bills ave = 35.1%)..we score 9 more pts and win 

another area I like to harp on because I think it is important is TOs....again the computer shows us even with Aub....unfortunately we lost this battle...this was the other key area (besides rebs ) that we needed to win...we had a decent 12 TOs .......they had an amazing 7 TOs....5 TOs  diff =10 pts...again enough to give us the win.... experienced, ranked teams make fewer mistakes...that was the case here.

Going back to rebounding...while we won that battle which was great ...not much happened after the reb...as noted above  we out rebounded them on offense 21-18....even though we beat them on the boards by 3 we lost 20 to 15  on 2nd chance pts....if we match them on the conversion rate of 2nd chance pts....that is 8 pts more.

Bottom line...As I had mentioned in a few posts leading up to this game ...we didn't need another  historic game to win...as it turns out , we didn't even need an average game to win..we just need to play a little better. Like the SH game , this was a learning experience.  What did we learn....We learned that we played toe to toe with one of the best teams in the country even though we had a poor game.  We knocked off 19 pts from Aub 86 pts/gm ave (7th ITN)  while stopping 2 of the best shooting players in the country...Wiley (71%) held to 18% and Okoro (60%)  held to 38%.  Finally , we learned we got better as a team. This was the 2nd A+ team we faced...the first time we got blown out (SH)....this time we were close....The next time we play an A+ team (or an A or A- team...think Dayton) we should be able to take them.

Here's a lesson ----- learn to shoot ..... free throws ..... from distance ..... something.  Bully Ball is neutralized by an equally Bully team.  But yes .... even a slightly better game and we could win.  I wasn't that impressed with Auburn.

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Here's a lesson ----- learn to shoot ..... free throws ..... from distance ..... something.  Bully Ball is neutralized by an equally Bully team.  But yes .... even a slightly better game and we could win.  I wasn't that impressed with Auburn.

Goodwin, who is playing at a first-team all-conference level,  is shooting identical percentages from the field and the free throw line: 49%.  That's bully ball in a nutshell.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Sadly, this won't be the only game we'll give away due to sucking so bad from the stripe. 

At least we missed fewer than Auburn.  We clanked 11.  They missed 15.  I likely have never witnessed a game where both teams were under 50% at the FT line.  The difference in this game was highly influenced by the FT's from both teams.   We make more, we win.  They make more, they win by double figures.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

At least we missed fewer than Auburn.  We clanked 11.  They missed 15.  I likely have never witnessed a game where both teams were under 50% at the FT line.  The difference in this game was highly influenced by the FT's from both teams.   We make more, we win.  They make more, they win by double figures.

Good point. 

From the original post....

In addition,  this game won't be decided at the charity line as both teams are terrible FT shooting teams.... This proved to be true as both teams shot less than 50%....I didn't include FT shooting in the post game analysis as I  try to include those items that are difference makers ...ie things that are within reason that can win us the game....In order to win the game  (7 more pts ) we would have needed to shoot 79 %...wasn't going to happen with a team that is shooting 52.5 % for the season....F-...353 ...... Worst ITN.   In this case,  shooting  better FTs would have given us a better chance to win.