Jacobs

ACE

Consistency comes from believing you can do it, and then going ahead and living up to YOUR OWN expectations. Our kids are not fully there yet, although they appear to be ramping up quickly in this area. I think the wins against BC and Tulane are helping us a lot in this process. Mind you, I still think we could have won against Seton Hall, but at the start of that game we were not playing at full tilt or with full confidence. Once SH built a large enough point advantage against us, the game became a real uphill battle that we lost.

It is not a matter of where we are ranked, or how many votes we get, or how many minutes you are going to play, it is a matter of getting our players to BELIEVE we are going to own the court once the game starts. This is not a matter of a carrot and a stick inducement system (like in the corporate setting), it is a matter of capturing the hearts and minds of the team and getting them to believe they can and will do it once they are let loose in the court. Yes, technique is important, but belief in yourself and your team is key to what happens in play.

21 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Believe the interview was with Danny Mac.   Anyway, the point is that Coach Ford and staff chart each and every thing they guys do right and do wrong.  Even if no rebound is made, consideration is given if the player was in the right spot to rebound, if the player blocked out his man, etc. even though the ball may have gone through the hoop or bounced in the other direction.  And when a player consistently does more good things than bad things each game, then his playing time increases.

This made me think of yuri for a second, Yuri has gotten called quite a few times for his box out down low.  It got me thinking, are his box outs foul worthy, or are refs just not used to seeing a 5'10 guy down low for a rebound?

Giving clear direction to players is one of the most important things a coach can do. Helping players develop technical skills, strengthen their weaknesses, and further advance their better abilities is a never ending cycle.

It isn’t enough to roll the ball out on the court, have French and Goodwin get their double doubles, and hope the rest of the team can catch up enough to make for a good season. Ford has to develop lanes and roles for each player to be responsible for achieving.

Organizational development is not easy. It means players have to play roles well outside their comfort zone, and develop skills they never used in high school. As a team, it means every player getting minutes needs to pull down three rebounds every game for us to succeed. We need to incrementally reduce turnovers. All these little things add up to wins.

Guys I see playing with a lot of confidence are of course JGood and Has, Yuri, as he still thinks he can make a difficult pass and is not afraid to try it, Jimerson who is not afraid to take a good shot, and Perkins who is always looking to make a bucket. Maybe after a few more games like Tulane, Jacobs will move up the confidence ladder. Same for Weaver, as I think he's passed on a few open looks at a 3. Guys usually lack confidence, because they figure they'll get the hook if they try something that's even within their game but if it fails they're coming out. This was part of Crews failure as a coach. He'd employ the hook way too quick on a lot of players. But for others, Malik comes to mind, he'd tolerate their stupidest plays. 

I remember an Interview with Al McGuire some time ago where he was asked what miscues would get him to use the hook. "When a player takes a bad shot, even if he makes it he's coming out and is gonna ride the pine for awhile. I don't care if a player is having a cold night as long as they are good shots and he's busting his ass on both ends." Seems like a good approach, and it definitely worked for Al. I just wonder if Jacobs has in the back of his mind the fear of being pulled. He's got to get over that hump. 

35 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This made me think of yuri for a second, Yuri has gotten called quite a few times for his box out down low.  It got me thinking, are his box outs foul worthy, or are refs just not used to seeing a 5'10 guy down low for a rebound?

Boxing out is trickier than it seems, even more difficult at 5’10. The primary problem is that you have to put your body on the man and hopefully, create some space. However, the space you can create is very limited. If you box out, then start backing into the man, you’ve given the ref a reason to call a foul.

At 5’10, the added problem is that even if you back into the man just a little, you create a situation where it appears you’ve undercut the player and to the ref it looks like you’ve created a dangerous play. I’ve seen broadcasters claim that a player was undercut, when in fact, he went over a shorter player’s back, created the contact, and should’ve been called for the foul.

1 minute ago, billikenbill said:

Boxing out is trickier than it seems, even more difficult at 5’10. The primary problem is that you have to put your body on the man and hopefully, create some space. However, the space you can create is very limited. If you box out, then start backing into the man, you’ve given the ref a reason to call a foul.

At 5’10, the added problem is that even if you back into the man just a little, you create a situation where it appears you’ve undercut the player and to the ref it looks like you’ve created a dangerous play. I’ve seen broadcasters claim that a player was undercut, when in fact, he went over a shorter player’s back, created the contact, and should’ve been called for the foul.

I agree, im just saying, you dont often see a 5"10 player crash the boards and or get in position as often as our Yuri.  And bc he does this so often , I feel refs just are not used to seeing it. 

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Yes.  Coach Ford really hit the nail on the head in his recent interview attached in one of the earlier threads -- guys need to be more consistent - and that good consistency results in more regular minutes.   Our youngsters are really not there yet -- and our OOC schedule has been really good for these youngsters.

Yeah, it was Ford’s comments that your positives need to double your negatives. In the Tulane game Jacobs had a turnover followed immediately by a ‘and one’ foul. Two negatives equaled a quick hook. But that seemed to wake Jacobs up for the rest of the game. 

35 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

FYI roster has him as six feet.

20 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Jacob has the skills of Goodwin, if he somehow gets the fire inside him of Goodwin, he will be a major threat 

Goodwin's skill set and Jacobs' skill set are very, very different.  Not saying that in a bad way at all, but they're just not comparable players.

Littlebill and slufanskip like this

9 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Goodwin's skill set and Jacobs' skill set are very, very different.  Not saying that in a bad way at all, but they're just not comparable players.

Jacobs is to Goodwin what McCall was to Jett (sort of).

3 hours ago, billikenbill said:

However, the space you can create is very limited. If you box out, then start backing into the man, you’ve given the ref a reason to call a foul.

A player with rebounding position who uses his lower body leverage to drive backwards is not committing a foul. 

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Yeah, it was Ford’s comments that your positives need to double your negatives. In the Tulane game Jacobs had a turnover followed immediately by a ‘and one’ foul. Two negatives equaled a quick hook. But that seemed to wake Jacobs up for the rest of the game. 

-if you are going to foul get your money's worth, a nice, hard foul that does not allow the ball to get to the rim, don't get cheated and don't allow a 3pt play and while talking about fouls, certainly don't foul a 3pt shooter, ever

HoosierPal likes this

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-if you are going to foul get your money's worth, a nice, hard foul that does not allow the ball to get to the rim, don't get cheated and don't allow a 3pt play and while talking about fouls, certainly don't foul a 3pt shooter, ever

its probably my #1 biggest pet peeve in basketball.  It absolutely makes no sense. 

52 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It's technically illegal to displace a player from a set position even while blocking out. However, it's rarely called unless the player falls or exaggerates the severity of the contact. 

Agree 100%, but that call went out about the time "palming the ball" went out.

slufanskip likes this

3 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Agreed with fouling on a 3. Regarding the 1st part of your statement though, the player is usually not intending to foul, they are trying to make a clean defensive play. I agree if it's a play where you are "intending" to foul, then foul hard enough to not let the shot get to the rim, but no so hard as to make it obvious. 

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It's called a transition phrase.  You are still losing me... ?  I guess it really doesn't matter. 

I gave you a Good Post reaction.  Are you okay with that?

I said it's rarely called.  Not sure why the but that went out about the time palming went out. You were still agreeing so not sure why the  but was added. Either way it appears I just mistook your intent ... We are obviously saying the same thing and all good.

4 hours ago, davidnark said:

A player with rebounding position who uses his lower body leverage to drive backwards is not committing a foul. 

This foul use to frustrate me to no end. I had about a 3” vertical but loved trying to root somebody out of position so our athletic guys could rebound. Don’t know what it was but got called for it more than once and got teed up once when I complained about it. That and the one clean block that was called a foul frustrated me.