Jacobs

ACE

Dont' forget that Jacobs was hurt for a portion of last season. That certainly impacted his performance.  Coach did say on his Coach's show last season that Jacobs would have been his back up point guard if/when he got healthy. 

Besides his shooting, Jacobs gives us some rebounding, and active hands on defense.  He is third on the team in steals.  He is 50% from the field, 43% from the arc, and 72% from the line.  Just like Jimerson, I would like Jacobs to get to the line a little more often.  He is currently averaging 2 FT per game.  Doubling that would be nice.

Jacobs, Jimerson, and Perkins are at 70%, 85%, and 75% from the line. With Collins and Goodwin trending up in free throw %, we can afford to have French on the floor in crunch time and not be too exposed.

Jacobs offers a “pick your poison” conundrum. Both he and Jimerson are deadly from three when they get hot. Now who was it that stated we in the know were crazy, when we opined that Jacobs was being turned into a PG, and that he and Collins would get the majority of pt at pg over Goodwin?

8 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Jacobs, Jimerson, and Perkins are at 70%, 85%, and 75% from the line. With Collins and Goodwin trending up in free throw %, we can afford to have French on the floor in crunch time and not be too exposed.

Jacobs offers a “pick your poison” conundrum. Both he and Jimerson are deadly from three when they get hot. Now who was it that stated we in the know were crazy, when we opined that Jacobs was being turned into a PG, and that he and Collins would get the majority of pt at pg over Goodwin?

sheltie it said jacobs would have been the backup last year.   not this year.  you try to push that misreading nonsense a lot for fact

For our team to have success I felt Hankton and Jacobs would have to be solid contributors.  We have 1 of the 2 contributing.

Jacobs is still learning he does not have the confident fire in his eye like French and JGood but he will get there.  I am looking forward to the fake 3 shot from Jacobs with a run to the basket for a jam, it is coming.

Yea Roy, and you pushed your misleading nonsense a lot this year re Goodwin being the starting and best pg option. We are a better TEAM because Goodwin has stepped back from the administrative pg functions, and is playing to the part of his strengths that best benefit the team.

We have to play the hand we are dealt, and that includes an athletic scoring point guard who is learning otj, and a tremendous passing pg who rarely looks for his shot.

We have been transported back to Bonner’s Jr and Sr year, except with better guards, better shooting, and Goodwin playing the role of functional PF for half the game, rather than Anthony Jones for the whole game. 

The beautiful game has only made one appearance, and we will never, ever see another offensive shooting night by us again, but 35% from 3 wins games when coupled with good d.

2 hours ago, almaman said:

Well said. It will be interesting to see how things play out when his sophomore fellow guard FTJ heels.

*...must....resist.....*

Aw, heck!  Who am I kidding?  I can't resist any more than Roger Rabbit can when someone knocks out "shave-and-a-haircut."

Alma, Fred Thatch Jr. is a Sikeston Bulldog.  He does not heel!

But, yes, we're hoping he heals up, and soon.

1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

Yea Roy, and you pushed your misleading nonsense a lot this year re Goodwin being the starting and best pg option. We are a better TEAM because Goodwin has stepped back from the administrative pg functions, and is playing to the part of his strengths that best benefit the team.

We have to play the hand we are dealt

Actually goodwin is the best point guard, best shooting guard and best small forward on the team.   Hes also the second best power forward.   

Unfortunately he cant play all four positions and when french switches to center at this time he is the best option at power forward.

Yuri is indeed one of the best 6-7 players on the team but he has to play point guard.  He is far too small and scoring deficient to play a wing and guard much bigger and stronger players.   So yes goodwin has to defer the point guard spot to make sure we have our best lineup in the game.   

Keep learning sheltie.   I know you are trying hard.  

11 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

*...must....resist.....*

Aw, heck!  Who am I kidding?  I can't resist any more than Roger Rabbit can when someone knocks out "shave-and-a-haircut."

Alma, Fred Thatch Jr. is a Sikeston Bulldog.  He does not heel!

But, yes, we're hoping he heals up, and soon.

just seeing if you have me on ignore:)

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Actually goodwin is the best point guard, best shooting guard and best small forward on the team.   Hes also the second best power forward.   

Unfortunately he cant play all four positions and when french switches to center at this time he is the best option at power forward.

Yuri is indeed one of the best 6-7 players on the team but he has to play point guard.  He is far too small and scoring deficient to play a wing and guard much bigger and stronger players.   So yes goodwin has to defer the point guard spot to make sure we have our best lineup in the game.   

Keep learning sheltie.   I know you are trying hard.  

Sorry, is this post sarcasm? If not, I love JG, but this post is something. Hopefully, I'm missing the joke. 

4 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Sorry, is this post sarcasm? If not, I love JG, but this post is something. Hopefully, I'm missing the joke. 

Ya. I wrote a response. Then deleted it cause if he actually believes that there isn't much we can tell him. And I'm one of the biggest Goodwin fans there is.

moytoy12 likes this

Yuri, even though he is playing with 1.5 hands, is on pace to obliterate the freshman assist record. 

12 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Ya. I wrote a response. Then deleted it cause if he actually believes that there isn't much we can tell him. And I'm one of the biggest Goodwin fans there is.

The facts speak for themselves. Yuri, even though he is playing with 1.5 hands, is on pace to obliterate the Billiken freshman assist record. Goodwin is arguably the best rebounding guard in all of the NCAA this century. They're two different types of dudes.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yuri, even though he is playing with 1.5 hands, is on pace to obliterate the freshman assist record. 

The facts speak for themselves. Yuri, even though he is playing with 1.5 hands, is on pace to obliterate the freshman assist record. Goodwin is arguably the best rebounding guard in all of the NCAA this century. They're two different types of dudes.

This. 

11 hours ago, ACE said:

I would say Jacobs has been the biggest surprise of this young season. The fact that he is starting and 4th on the team in scoring has been a big bonus. Yes, he was pretty highly regarded when we signed him, but he did so little last year in his limited minutes. He scored 8 points and committed 18 fouls on the season. He looked like a deer in the headlights at times when he was on the court.

In an instant gratification era, I don't think it would have surprised anybody if he had transferred following last season. Patience is in short supply in college basketball, where fans, players and sometimes even coaches expect instant results. Kudos to young DJ for sticking with it and for the coaching staff for believing in him. This will serve as a good example for freshmen like TH and MD who are not getting many minutes. Keep working, and your time will come.

Well said.   Many certainly thought that Jacobs would never produce - much less this much this fast.   Yes, injury was a big factor - but because his injury was not obvious to the rest us - no broker bone, leg in a cast, etc. the inference was that he could not play and that he had been recruited over. And yes, not much patience anymore.

8 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Well said.   Many certainly thought that Jacobs would never produce - much less this much this fast.   Yes, injury was a big factor - but because his injury was not obvious to the rest us - no broker bone, leg in a cast, etc. the inference was that he could not play and that he had been recruited over. And yes, not much patience anymore.

All this yakkity yak that we engage in on message boards about whether such and such guard can play at this level often boils down to "can he hit a jump shot?" Jacobs is hitting jump shots. I'm ecstatic for him. 

Jacob's showed confidence in his abilities by staying with the Billikens.  He also showed maturity by taking his time on the sidelines to study the offence and defense systems that the Billikens run, so he would know what to do when he got his next chance. I hope Hargrove sees that and takes the same path. 

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

My only problem w/ Jacobs is he tends to disappear in certain games. JGood and Has have learned you have to bring it every game at this level. As soon as Jacobs adopts this attitude he, and the team, will be that much better for it. He's a talent that I think has not totally flourished. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

My only problem w/ Jacobs is he tends to disappear in certain games. JGood and Has have learned you have to bring it every game at this level. As soon as Jacobs adopts this attitude he, and the team, will be that much better for it. He's a talent that I think has not totally flourished. 

Yes.  Coach Ford really hit the nail on the head in his recent interview attached in one of the earlier threads -- guys need to be more consistent - and that good consistency results in more regular minutes.   Our youngsters are really not there yet -- and our OOC schedule has been really good for these youngsters.

Believe the interview was with Danny Mac.   Anyway, the point is that Coach Ford and staff chart each and every thing they guys do right and do wrong.  Even if no rebound is made, consideration is given if the player was in the right spot to rebound, if the player blocked out his man, etc. even though the ball may have gone through the hoop or bounced in the other direction.  And when a player consistently does more good things than bad things each game, then his playing time increases.