This team in the rankings

brianstl

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The next three games are must wins, and it would help to win the next two by 10+ each even though they're road games. La Salle and St. Joe's have a combined A10 record of 1-13.

Duquesne is down to 92 in the NET rankings, and they're the team just after us in the A10 NET rankings. We need that one to effectively end their season and keep ours alive as far as at-large chances are concerned.

Dayton remains locked in at #5. Huge opportunity after these next three.

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The next three games are must wins, and it would help to win the next two by 10+ each even though they're road games. La Salle and St. Joe's have a combined A10 record of 1-13.

Duquesne is down to 92 in the NET rankings, and they're the team just after us in the A10 NET rankings. We need that one to effectively end their season and keep ours alive as far as at-large chances are concerned.

Dayton remains locked in at #5. Huge opportunity after these next three.

Putting down the Blue Kool and taking off the Billiken Blue Sunglasses for just a moment, we have to win the next 3, which is doable, then take no more than 2 losses the rest of the way. That should land us in the first 4 in Brooklyn. With games against URI, VCU, and SVU we could really give ourselves a huge boost going 2-3 against them. Doable? Yes. Likely to happen? Big question mark there, but I think our guys are sensing it ain't impossible. I also think the SVU game might be the one that could catapult us over the hump. They know that was the big fish that got away just as we were hauling it on board. 

Spoon-Balls likes this

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Putting down the Blue Kool and taking off the Billiken Blue Sunglasses for just a moment, we have to win the next 3, which is doable, then take no more than 2 losses the rest of the way. That should land us in the first 4 in Brooklyn. With games against URI, VCU, and SVU we could really give ourselves a huge boost going 2-3 against them. Doable? Yes. Likely to happen? Big question mark there, but I think our guys are sensing it ain't impossible. I also think the SVU game might be the one that could catapult us over the hump. They know that was the big fish that got away just as we were hauling it on board. 

I have trouble calling it likely. I'm confident we'll take care of business in the next three, but then Dayton on the road is a tall order. The next two are La Salle at home and UMass on the road, gotta win both. And then in the last five games we see VCU and Bonaventure at home and URI on the road. (SJU at home and Mason on the road don't necessarily scare me but that Mason game is the kind we biff every once in a while.)

Dayton and URI seem like the most difficult games left, two of the best teams in conference on the road.

We're horrible against VCU and haven't beaten them in several years. It's a home game with a late start on a Friday night, kind of an odd one.

I would be thrilled if we went 9-2 in the last 11. I don't know if we could do that, though. I'm guessing we'll see about 7-4 based on how this season has gone.

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Bonawelding always scares me. I don't care where we play them; the North Pole they call home, at the Fetz, or in Brooklyn. We were very fortunate to win that game in Brooklyn when the dagger at the end missed our vital organs. 

It's the last game of the season and it's at home. Bonaventure has lost the last three, but they've played Rhode Island, Dayton, and VCU and Osunniyi has been out with a concussion. He'll probably be back by then and he makes them a much different team.

43 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Perfect analogy. Win in Dayton and we're back in business, even with a few additional unexpected losses. 

Also, regarding next season, imagine how good Jimerson is going to be for this team when he comes back as a "freshman" with all the confidence in the world. 

NCAA NET for the A10 through games of 1/26/20:

Dayton 5, VCU 39, URI 47, Richmond 55, SLU 69, Duquesne 92, Davidson 98, St. Bona 133, UMass 164, Mason 168, LaSalle 173, GW 195, St. Joe's 223, Fordham 274.

That would generally translate into 3 NCAA Tournament teams for the A10.  SLU is in the discussion, but is well on the outside at this point, has work to do for at large consideration.  The NCAA usually cuts off at about 50 NET (same for the previous RPI), with about 3 annual variances usually for the benefit of the Power 5.

1 hour ago, Spoon-Balls said:

Perfect analogy. Win in Dayton and we're back in business, even with a few additional unexpected losses. 

Also, regarding next season, imagine how good Jimerson is going to be for this team when he comes back as a "freshman" with all the confidence in the world. 

And let's pray Fred makes it back all the way! 

2 hours ago, Spoon-Balls said:

And it will add to the other teams eventually lamenting "how long has this kid been at SLU?"

12 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

A 6'3 guard averaging 11 boards a game wasn't likely.  A freshman point guard averaging the most assists in 30 years wasn't likely.  Going 15-5 while being without Thatch for 15 games and Jimerson for 10, wasn't likely.  This is the most unlikely Billiken team I've ever seen.  Win or lose, I really dig these kids.

Out of reactions, good post.

10 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

I’d like to think 13-5 is doable, but sitting at 4-3, it is a very long shot.

It will seem a lot easier if we win these next two road games against LaSalle and Saint Joes. KenPom has us favored in all but 3 remaining games, with one of those 3 being VCU at home.

If this team plays its best basketball down the stretch, it’s going to be really exciting. Then again, we haven’t played our best basketball in any of the past three games, so it’s probably 50/50.

7 hours ago, NH said:

It will seem a lot easier if we win these next two road games against LaSalle and Saint Joes. KenPom has us favored in all but 3 remaining games, with one of those 3 being VCU at home.

If this team plays its best basketball down the stretch, it’s going to be really exciting. Then again, we haven’t played our best basketball in any of the past three games, so it’s probably 50/50.

I'd say we played pretty well against SVU. Davidson we stunk up the joint. Played good D against Fordham and everyone had's trouble scoring on the Rams. 

31 minutes ago, Compton said:

From Lunardi's latest ESPN bracket: 

1968094443_ScreenShot2020-01-28at8_54_55PM.png.c615a26685f84274d9dbd9462057b79a.png

There should be a rule that you can't have more berths than the number in the name of your conference. 

I find it interesting that Palm at CBS likes the A10 a lot more than Lundardi. Wonder why they are so different 

1 hour ago, Compton said:

From Lunardi's latest ESPN bracket: 

1968094443_ScreenShot2020-01-28at8_54_55PM.png.c615a26685f84274d9dbd9462057b79a.png

There should be a rule that you can't have more berths than the number in the name of your conference. 

Big Ten is a bunch of pap smears.  Can't wait for like 8 of those 12 to be out the first weekend of the tourney.

rgbilliken likes this