This team in the rankings

brianstl

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We may surprise everyone and beat Dayton when we play them. The ranking "12" of the opponent at the time of the game means it will be a tough game to win, not that the game is divinely ordained to be a loss. We had the potential to win every game we have played this season, we just did not find the way to do so in the two games we lost. We can win the next time against the next highly ranked opponent.

I am guessing that the NET will even out as the year progresses - but right now, alot of questionable rankings IMO. 
DePaul at 35? Wins over Iowa and Texas Tech?   Both of whom are not very impressive which make for 2 top quadrant wins?  Why? Bc they are Power 5?  Multiple losses, poor SOS,... And then the loss to Buffalo?

Clock, it was well known that the RPI method was not a valid way to rank teams. Now the NCAA has come up with the NET method which appears to give them even more leeway to adjust results to their desires. Anyone that thinks NCAA is fair and impartial in their procedures and the way they are applied is just far from reality.

Yes. Why do we waste our breath over how “easy” our schedule has been when I see opponent NET scores of 156 for us (Duquesne is 211) while DePaul is 190, Texas Tech 176, is Iowa is 111 (with 3 losses), Illini are 145 with 4 losses, Mizzou with 152 and 4 losses. Soon the Power 5 will play each other in conference games... we are back to losses to each other mean nothing 🙁

If mid-majors snag five at-large bids, then the NET rankings would be a success.  For years, mid-majors only received three bids.

https://sports.yahoo.com/here-are-this-years-five-biggest-ncaa-tournament-snubs-223942357.html.

"Of the 36 NCAA tournament bids awarded to at-large teams in 2018, all but three went to programs hailing from the five football power leagues, the Big East and the American Athletic Conference. Same with the year before. And the year before that.

This March (2019), teams from outside college basketball’s top seven leagues landed four at-large bids, incremental progress, albeit not cause for celebration. Joining Belmont in the field were Gonzaga, Nevada and VCU."

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If mid-majors snag five at-large bids, then the NET rankings would be a success.  For years, mid-majors only received three bids.

https://sports.yahoo.com/here-are-this-years-five-biggest-ncaa-tournament-snubs-223942357.html.

"Of the 36 NCAA tournament bids awarded to at-large teams in 2018, all but three went to programs hailing from the five football power leagues, the Big East and the American Athletic Conference. Same with the year before. And the year before that.

This March (2019), teams from outside college basketball’s top seven leagues landed four at-large bids, incremental progress, albeit not cause for celebration. Joining Belmont in the field were Gonzaga, Nevada and VCU."

Product of a down A10 post new big east, IMO

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Product of a down A10 post new big east, IMO

Absolutely.  But thanks to an uptick in both the West Coast Conference, Mountain West and the A10 this year, we could very well be looking at 5 mid-major bids this year.  Especially since the top rated NET teams in those conference can lift the rankings of their peers considerably.

42 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Chalking it up to Dana Ford's inexperience.  Coach Ford has a lot more experience blending a bunch of new players than he has.

You may be right. Also a reality check as to how difficult blending new players really is. Coach Ford has been a master. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Compton said:

Pleasantly surprised to see us at #70 in the important NET rankings and #99 in Kennpom after our start to A10 play. 

Seems like down, but not out. 

14 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Yeah. Definently need no bad losses and a win against Dayton and one or two of VCU/Rich/DUQ

We're actually down to 74 and the bigger ratings problem is that there are 7 teams in the A10 rated 119 or worse (with 3 of those teams in the 200s) meaning that right now the 4 teams mentioned by BillsBeliever present the only opportunities for high quality wins. It's a  tough road that starts with building momentum for the Dayton game by beating GW and Richmond. Dayton is very good but St. Joe played them tough (game was tied at the half) and they are not nearly as good as SLU plus Dayton will be coming off the VCU game and we get them at home.

1 hour ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Yeah. Definently need no bad losses and a win against Dayton and one or two of VCU/Rich/DUQ

I don’t think a win over Dayton is necessarily needed for an at-large. We could lose our games to Dayton and VCU, win the rest, finish 3rd in the A10 with a 25-6 record going into the conference tourney and get a bid. 

Spoon-Balls likes this

4 minutes ago, Compton said:

I don’t think a win over Dayton is necessarily needed for an at-large. We could lose our games to Dayton and VCU, win the rest, finish 3rd in the A10 with a 25-6 record going into the conference tourney and get a bid. 

Probably right. 25 wins is the number. And a 26th victory in conference tourney would certainly seal it. 

But winning all remaining games except Dayton and VCU is a long shot. Needing OT to beat 6-7 (now 6-8) UMass in our own building exposed the additional work - and maturity - the Bills need to make this happen. 23 TOs? 

There's nothing that makes me think we can rattle off that many conference wins. If you just look at our schedule with pure wins and losses, you might have a case. But we all know better because we've been watching these games. The last win we had that wasn't a grind was Tulane. Since then, it's been nothing but ugly battles, even against the likes of Maryville and Bethune-Cookman - and yes, even if one was a road win against K-State.

If we're grinding out OT wins against a bottom-half A10 team like UMass, we're not going to beat everyone but Dayton and VCU. Take the 3-game stretch starting this weekend - @Richmond, vs. Dayton, @Davidson. I would be thrilled to take two of those. And then we can't afford to slip up after that. I just don't see it.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

There's nothing that makes me think we can rattle off that many conference wins. If you just look at our schedule with pure wins and losses, you might have a case. But we all know better because we've been watching these games. The last win we had that wasn't a grind was Tulane. Since then, it's been nothing but ugly battles, even against the likes of Maryville and Bethune-Cookman - and yes, even if one was a road win against K-State.

If we're grinding out OT wins against a bottom-half A10 team like UMass, we're not going to beat everyone but Dayton and VCU. Take the 3-game stretch starting this weekend - @Richmond, vs. Dayton, @Davidson. I would be thrilled to take two of those. And then we can't afford to slip up after that. I just don't see it.

Agreed. We aren’t currently one of the top 75 teams in the country, in my opinion. Until we start playing like we are (as we did earlier in the year) I have trouble thinking about what it takes to get an at-large. 

11 minutes ago, Compton said:

A rather auspicious ranking going into tonight’s game. 

And just one away from the number of teams issued dance cards. 

BC's victory last night pushed them to a Q2 win for us.  For me, the next four games will either tell if our At Large hope is alive or DOA.