This team in the rankings

brianstl

Here is a link to Massey's composite rakings of the currently 23 top computer rankings.  The composite ranking has SLU at 69.  The Billikens rank anywhere from a low of 126 in ESPN's BPI to a high of 30 in Seven Overtimes rankings.  6 of the rankings have of us in the top 50, ten in the top 60 and 14 in the top 75.  6 of the rankings have us outside the top 100.  We are third among A10 teams behind Dayton at 18 and VCU at 45.  We are just ahead of Duquesne at 71 and Richmond at 72.  Seton Hall at 22 and Belmont at 76 are our two highest ranked opponents so far.  Auburn comes in at number seven in the composite rankings.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, brianstl said:

Here is a link to Massey's composite rakings of the currently 23 top computer rankings.  The composite ranking has SLU at 69.  The Billikens rank anywhere from a low of 126 in ESPN's BPI to a high of 30 in Seven Overtimes rankings.  6 of the rankings have of us in the top 50, ten in the top 60 and 14 in the top 75.  6 of the rankings have us outside the top 100.  We are third among A10 teams behind Dayton at 18 and VCU at 45.  We are just ahead of Duquesne at 71 and Richmond at 72.  Seton Hall at 22 and Belmont at 76 are our two highest ranked opponents so far.  Auburn comes in at number seven in the composite rankings.

this early in the year, i will take a 69.    we just have to take care of business in the conference and if we can win one of the two remaining out of conference road games that would be great.   no doubt as far as i am concerned, this team is out performing expectations bigtime.   i expected a lot of freshmen "not quite's" this year and had pretty much settled for a mediocre 2019-20 and all my hopes on the french/goodwin senior year as our next big chance.   i like the way this is playing out.   

GBL_Bills, Adman, HenryB and 1 other like this

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

this early in the year, i will take a 69.    we just have to take care of business in the conference and if we can win one of the two remaining out of conference road games that would be great.   no doubt as far as i am concerned, this team is out performing expectations bigtime.   i expected a lot of freshmen "not quite's" this year and had pretty much settled for a mediocre 2019-20 and all my hopes on the french/goodwin senior year as our next big chance.   i like the way this is playing out.   

I agree completely and I think 69 is probably about right for now when you account for the whooping Seton Hall put on us.  Also, this team has totally exceeded my expectations to this point.  I expected a couple more losses so far when I looked at the schedule before the season.

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

nice

in all reality, this seems about right

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Agreed. With all the new and inexperienced pieces, I figured for sure we'd have some oops games. I fully expected a loss to SH, and figured likely Ls to BC and Belmont. Part of this was due to the way we started last year; close games against teams we should have destroyed. Just the opposite has occurred. 

I primarily attribute our success to date to JGood and Has. They are doing everything to lead this team in the right direction and are playing like they EXPECT to be dancing this March. Most of us had our hopes pinned on next year. These two are saying and playing like next year is this year. Gonna be a fun season to watch. 

Pistol likes this

29 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I primarily attribute our success to date to JGood and Has. They are doing everything to lead this team in the right direction and are playing like they EXPECT to be dancing this March. Most of us had our hopes pinned on next year. These two are saying and playing like next year is this year. Gonna be a fun season to watch. 

If I had to summarize this season to date in few sentences, this would be how I would do it.

31 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Agreed. With all the new and inexperienced pieces, I figured for sure we'd have some oops games. I fully expected a loss to SH, and figured likely Ls to BC and Belmont. Part of this was due to the way we started last year; close games against teams we should have destroyed. Just the opposite has occurred. 

i'd like to point out that both goodwin and french can still greatly improve.   both are still shooting iffy's.   both are still foul prone.   oh my what could they end up as?!?!  keep working hard men!

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i'd like to point out that both goodwin and french can still greatly improve.   both are still shooting iffy's.   both are still foul prone.   oh my what could they end up as?!?!  keep working hard men!

French is actually pretty good about fouls for his position and minutes.  most bigs have a hard time playing 30 minutes and not findings themselves in foul trouble. 

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

French is actually pretty good about fouls for his position and minutes.  most bigs have a hard time playing 30 minutes and not findings themselves in foul trouble. 

I would agree. His ability to challenge almost every shot within 10 ft and not repeatedly get in foul trouble has impressed me a lot this year.

I had five bumps in the OOC … Belmont, BC and Tulane … that are now over on the positive side.   An expected 8 and 5 is now up to 11 and 2 and I think we can steal one or both with Auburn and KState.  Both should be well-fought out matches.  I, like roy, did nto expect to see the freshman pieces come together as well as they have.  French is the guy living large on the exterior shots --- it has opened up the lane for him more than we could have ever expected.  Still four games to go but this OOC has been aces in my book.

9 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I had five bumps in the OOC … Belmont, BC and Tulane … that are now over on the positive side.   An expected 8 and 5 is now up to 11 and 2 and I think we can steal one or both with Auburn and KState.  Both should be well-fought out matches.  I, like roy, did nto expect to see the freshman pieces come together as well as they have.  French is the guy living large on the exterior shots --- it has opened up the lane for him more than we could have ever expected.  Still four games to go but this OOC has been aces in my book.

we really need jacobs and jimmerson (and to an extent collins and goodwin) to continue to hit 3's at a decent rate and then the opponents will have to guard the perimeter and like you say above, french is then being defended alone.  which is poison for our opponent.   just hope french recognizes the doubles and then sends out to the wings accordingly when the opportunity presents rather than trying to bully 2 or even 3 defenders.   

drkelsey55 likes this

Interesting to see Seton Hall's win over Saint Louis as the 2nd best non conference win per KPI rankings.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-12-11/parity-no-1-and-new-3-point-line-have-dominated-early-season?amp&__twitter_impression=true

1 hour ago, billikens747 said:

Interesting to see Seton Hall's win over Saint Louis as the 2nd best non conference win per KPI rankings is proof that KenPom is utter horseshit.  

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-12-11/parity-no-1-and-new-3-point-line-have-dominated-early-season?amp&__twitter_impression=true

FIFY.

MattyMo213 likes this

2 hours ago, TJHawk said:

I don't know about better but this team is way more fun to watch than last year.  It looks like SLU hit big time on 3 freshmen and the other 2 have big time upside.  French looks significantly better this year.  I expect them to be in the tournament this year.

Couple of the current billikens could maybe be walkons for the Jayhawks even. 

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The loss to Auburn moved us into Pomeroy’s top 100.  We sit at 99 at this moment.

The Bills beat his spread, thanks to the gutty late push.

Youth!  But the future is bright; they'll win games like this over the next few years (will need good replacements for Goodwin and French in the '21 class).

Overall, I'm pleased with how this squad is developing.  I think one could argue that they're ahead of last year's squad despite Bess and Isabell.

I think the Sagarin rating is the most accurate system, as evidenced by the fact it is used to calculate point spreads.  We are currently 73, 5th in the A10, which has 8 teams in the top 100.  This will provide us with a lot of good games.  Top 8 teams: 

Dayton 22

Duquesne  55

VCU 56

Richmond 61

Billikens 73

Rhode Island 82

Davidson 87

George Mason 99

LaSalle and Bonnies 110 and 112.