Chapley Article on Jimerson

HoosierPal

17 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/gibson-jimerson-not-just-a-one-trick-pony/

This article was posted Dec 7, before the Tulane game. 

Gibson's progress during the conference season will be fascinating to watch. Seems like a smart kid with a good understanding of the game. Given his emergence as a key component It will be interesting to see how opposing coaches attack him on both ends of the court.  I've always thought shooters were the easiest types to defend , we'll see how his game evolves. 

40 minutes ago, MichaelC said:

Gibson's progress during the conference season will be fascinating to watch. Seems like a smart kid with a good understanding of the game. Given his emergence as a key component It will be interesting to see how opposing coaches attack him on both ends of the court.  I've always thought shooters were the easiest types to defend , we'll see how his game evolves. 

Yes, I agree.  The choice is to guard Jimerson, or help out on French.  If both are shooting around 50%, then the choice is easy...stay on Jimerson. 

I wish Jimerson would get to the foul line more.  I acknowledge his primary role is a spot up three point shooter, which he has done very well, but in 9 games he has only shot 7 FT, converting on 6.  Jump shooters don't get fouled that often, unless the defender makes a dumb jump into him, but he needs more than 1 FT average per game.   

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes, I agree.  The choice is to guard Jimerson, or help out on French.  If both are shooting around 50%, then the choice is easy...stay on Jimerson. 

I wish Jimerson would get to the foul line more.  I acknowledge his primary role is a spot up three point shooter, which he has done very well, but in 9 games he has only shot 7 FT, converting on 6.  Jump shooters don't get fouled that often, unless the defender makes a dumb jump into him, but he needs more than 1 FT average per game.   

Excellent point on FTs, drawing contact is something he doesn't seem comfortable doing yet but especially on ball fakes, something he needs to add to his repertoire. He doesn't need to get to the James Harden level of drawing fouls but 5 or 6 FT per game is a reasonable goal.  

i suspect jimmerson will put the ball on the floor as he gets older, stronger wiser and the defense chooses to play up in his face.   until then bombs away man.  

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

He got fouled on there incredible body control fast break layup yesterday, but it wasn't called.  I'm confident he would have converted the 3-point play.

He doesn't need to do anything more than drill the open three right now.  We have French and Goodwin for our other scoring needs.  I guarantee that by his junior year, however, everything about our offense will flow through him, and he will score from EVERYWHERE, including the free throw line.

billiken_roy likes this

Defensive-minded basketball mantra is you don't foul jump shooters.  Jimmmerson's fouls will likely be more mistakes than anything else on his threes; the drive an dpull up will come with time, then we'll see more fouls.

almaman likes this

38 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Wasn't sure if this was posted somewhere else or not, but here's a great article from Mid-Major Madness on Gibson and Yuri.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/12/9/20999396/saint-louis-yuri-collins-gibson-jimerson-atlantic-10-best-young-backcourt-jerry-colangelo-classic

Nice.

I'm not sold on the resurgent E Washington but let's hope.

2 hours ago, almaman said:

I sometimes wonder why folks that don’t draw fouls are somehow deficient. In GJ case he seems to avoid contested shots. I like his uncontested so far. As stronger foes come @ us we may see more GJ FTs.  We will see. 

Actually I have seen him pass up a shot occasionally ..... then fake, dribble once or twice and hit a mid-range shot.  He is going to be a load to defend if he continues to show that he can dribble penetrate and score.  

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

And at least 2 of those free-throw attempts were after a technical foul called against an opponent.

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Would not be surprised if he puts up a few 30 points in conference. Will definitely be our top scorer around conference season 

The first sentence here could be a possibility, at least for 1 game. I’d be surprised if Jordan Goodwin or Hasahn French weren’t our leading scorer.

59 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

what was our recruiting angle on Jimerson? seems like he should have had some big boys calling...

Not sure there was any angle other than SLU being the best offer in terms of conference and opportunity to play. I guess it depends on what you call "big boys" but the only other high offers were from Cincinnati and Kansas State, the rest are low to middle mid-major offers. 

NextYearBill likes this