GDT: Conquer the Green Wave

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Did anyone else notice that during the game Yuri went from wearing a white under shirt to no under shirt then to blue under shirt?  Not important but kind of funny.  I'm for whatever it takes as long as he keeps playing strong and draining 3s.  

I think there's a strong possibility that we actually signed the Collins triplets and Ford is always running a fresh one into the game.

18 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

While I think the shot was OK, I don't think that is what Ford wanted and it may hurt Weaver's chances of minutes. You could see Ford shake his head when Weaver took it. Probably best to work the clock a little more and let one of the Freshman/Walkons get a shot. 

If weaver is playing good defense he’ll get minutes 

At one time the following basketball plays were considered disrespectful:

The dunk

Between the legs dribble

Behind the back dribble

Holding a pose after a jump shot

Celebrating after making a good individual play

I wouldn't be surprised if taking the air out of the ball when you have a big lead also becomes outdated in 15 years.

SLU_Lax likes this

15 minutes ago, NashvilleBilliken said:

While I think the shot was OK, I don't think that is what Ford wanted and it may hurt Weaver's chances of minutes. You could see Ford shake his head when Weaver took it. Probably best to work the clock a little more and let one of the Freshman/Walkons get a shot. 

Agreed.  Not the worst thing in that he was contested and not a starter.   Not uncommon fir non-starters to get in game and try to get iin the box score. Not the best thing, though, in that he only 33 seconds and he is our only Senior.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

At one time the following basketball plays were considered disrespectful:

The dunk

Between the legs dribble

Behind the back dribble

Holding a pose after a jump shot

Celebrating after making a good individual play

I wouldn't be surprised if taking the air out of the ball when you have a big lead also becomes outdated in 15 years.

Agreed.  Heard a Michael Jordan attribution the other day that was basically "you have to always be breaking down your opponent's confidence, and never let them affect yours".

Sure, you can potentially help the other team get a little more fired up for your next meeting by running it up on them, but you also increase your standing to the tournament committee, and you get in your opponent's head, BECAUSE YOU FUOKING OWN THEM.

Ask Butler how they felt going 0-3 against us several years ago.  We fuoking owned them and they knew it.

Great game yesterday!  A lot more SLU fans than I expected.  I'd estimate at least 60-70 (if not a few more) fans cheering for SLU.  I've posted a few pictures that show the overall crowd size (small) as well as the SLU fans behind the bench.  There were a few in the section directly across the court, but you'll see mostly red shirts over there - Dayton fans.  (A Dayton guy came up to us outside and said he was rooting for SLU, but only for that one game.)  We spoke briefly to Chris May and a little longer to Janet Oberle.  My daughter recognized a SLU baseball player who was a year behind her at SLU (I'm assuming it's the one who posted yesterday), but most everyone else was in the "upper middle age" (i.e., "senior") category.  

I'm no basketball junkie and don't know all the terminology, but my overall takeaway from the game was that SLU is a good team, needs to be a little more aggressive on defense, needs to work on their free throws (as does Tulate!) and shouldn't rely on the 3 point shot so much (although it was very effective on Sunday).  It seemed like Tulate could penetrate and get under the basket more than SLU did.  But the 3 point shooting was amazing, especially Jimmerson!  He was on fire.  As was Jacobs.  Jimmerson got a long standing O when he came out of the game.   French had a great game, too, and took MVP honors

Thank you, SLU, for coming to Phoenix.  Come back anytime!  (And play more than one game!)

SLU1.jpg

SLU2.jpg

SLU7.jpg

SLU3.jpg

3 minutes ago, ucan2 said:

Great game yesterday!  A lot more SLU fans than I expected.  I'd estimate at least 60-70 (if not a few more) fans cheering for SLU.  I've posted a few pictures that show the overall crowd size (small) as well as the SLU fans behind the bench.  There were a few in the section directly across the court, but you'll see mostly red shirts over there - Dayton fans.  (A Dayton guy came up to us outside and said he was rooting for SLU, but only for that one game.)  We spoke briefly to Chris May and a little longer to Janet Oberle.  My daughter recognized a SLU baseball player who was a year behind her at SLU (I'm assuming it's the one who posted yesterday), but most everyone else was in the "upper middle age" (i.e., "senior") category.  

I'm no basketball junkie and don't know all the terminology, but my overall takeaway from the game was that SLU is a good team, needs to be a little more aggressive on defense, needs to work on their free throws (as does Tulate!) and shouldn't rely on the 3 point shot so much (although it was very effective on Sunday).  It seemed like Tulate could penetrate and get under the basket more than SLU did.  But the 3 point shooting was amazing, especially Jimmerson!  He was on fire.  As was Jacobs.  Jimmerson got a long standing O when he came out of the game.   French had a great game, too, and took MVP honors

Thank you, SLU, for coming to Phoenix.  Come back anytime!  (And play more than one game!)

SLU1.jpg

SLU2.jpg

SLU7.jpg

SLU3.jpg

good report!

A few more post-game celebration photos.  And during halftime, they had a 3 point shooting contest.  Three guys sitting next to us competed as a team - and won!  One of the guys was shooting like Jimmerson and made almost all of his shots.  I talked to them when they got back to their seats and one was a '17 SLU alum and the other 2 went to WashU (both played basketball at WashU so that explains the shooting ability).  They work for a company with an office in Tempe, so they were able to plan a business trip around the game.  Sweet!  (My apologies to the SLU alum - I didn't get you in the picture.)

We didn't stay for the other 2 games, but the GCU - Liberty game was televised and we watched that for awhile.  The GCU crowd was huge.  There were quite a few of them there already during the SLU game.  Looks like they have a great fan base.

SLU4.jpg

SLU5.jpg

SLU6.jpg

Box and Won and NH like this

On 12/8/2019 at 3:05 PM, billikenfan05 said:

I may just rewatch this game over and over til Auburn 

Funny you said this, I'm on my 6th rewatching.

• 4 months later...

Sad to hear about a young life going to waste.  Had the pandemic not happened he probably would have still been in school.

Condolences to the victims family.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

This has me wondering: what’s the worst crime a former Billiken has been charged with.

Bushka went to prison for some kind of white collar crime. Burden did time for drugs. PeeWee  did something. 

These things do not generally happen just for the fun of it, particularly not if they do not happen during a burglary, which apparently was not the case. The murder took place inside the victim's apartment. With no burglary, there probably was a reason for the assault and murder of that particular person. Six people were involved in this event, including Teshaun's brother. 5 are under arrest. Yes, his life has taken a turn for the worse, much worse.

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

That video Grandy did may not have been a crime in the eyes of the law but in my opinion it was definitely worthy of some time in the clink.

I believe he's shooting a movie that will depict that same scenario.

2 hours ago, willie said:

Bushka went to prison for some kind of white collar crime. Burden did time for drugs. PeeWee  did something. 

Pee Wee laundered money from midnight basketball.

Jorge Wallace, Orlando Stewart, Kevin Footes all did time.