The Bills over Tulane by 5

The Wiz

The inconsistency continued with the SIU game....and so did the winning . See the post game analysis under the SIU spread thread. Also in that thread,  I wrote a post on the effect the extra distance has had on the 3pt shot so far this season.

As for the upcoming game with the Green Wave....Tulane is a C team ...we are a B team......Being a C team means Tulane is an average D1 team.  However , they are not just average overall....they do some things very well and some things poorly....which will make for an interesting game.  People say,  how can Tulane be a C team? They are 7-1.   How can we be a B team? We also are 7-1. As you know,  we haven't played a very difficult schedule ...a D schedule....meanwhile Tulane has played an F- schedule....7th easiest ITN.

Let's take a look at the report card to see what we are dealing with.....

..............................SLU.............................Tul.............................................SLU...................................Tul

................................................OFF................................................................................DEF...............

PPG.........................C................................B-..............................................B+.....................................B-

FG%..........................C................................B-......................................... ..B+......................................D+

3Pt%..........................C-...............................B+..........................................D.......................................C

FT%.........................F-... 2nd wrst ITN.........B+.............................................................................................

Reb............................A+...............................F.............................................C.....................................C+

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF rebs = opp reb

Also Bills  Offensive reb....A+....10th  ITN

Change from last game (UP means improvement ...Down means worse)....UP ..Reb....PPG def.....3P% def .....opp reb.......FT%...even though we didn't improve grade wise...we crawled out of the basement from worst to 2nd worst ITN....any improvement here is good as we dug a pretty deep hole.  DOWN.....3P%....FG% def

Top 100 ITN

Stls....Goodwin ...66th

Assts...Collins....27th

Rebs...French & Goodwin tied for 16th...pretty amazing to have 2 top 20 rebounders on the same team.

Blks.....French....18th

Stls...Walker...26th

After a number of games where offense was sliding down and defense was improving ....things have seemed to stabilize on both sides of the ball...This may be because we just completed the 8th game and the data ( and the team ) are both settling..

An issue in this game is their strengths play into our weaknesses....3pt shooting. and FT shooting....It is not just that they are a better 3P shooting team but 3P D has been one of our weaknesses. The good news is that 3P D has been getting better the last few games....And of course, FT shooting could be costly in a close game....again, the good news is that we made some FTs last game.

WWNTD2W....The danger in this game is that the Green Wave will get hot from the arc...if they do we are in trouble...Tulane is one of the best 3P teams we will face this year....Their 2 long distance shooters are Lawson and Walker....hold them to 35%...There scorers are Hightower and Lawson...hold them to a combined 25pts...Hightower can score 25 by himself if left unchecked...And finally,  the difference maker (again)...Rebounding...we need to dominate ...out reb them by 10

Bottom line...Guard the arc...Don't foul them ...or at least don't take bad fouls....If we can control this game ...we can win this game

BTW...After the Duq game  on Mon (they are the last team in the A-10 to reach 8 games),  I will put out the updated report card on the A-10.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have played a tougher schedule than Tulane has, beaten a higher ranked opponent than Tulane has and being beaten by an even higher ranking opponent than Tulane has. Both teams are 7-1 in ooc. We can win this game.

The Vegas spread will not be available until the night before this game, however team rankings currently has Tulane as a predicted winner with a 1 star confidence (up in the air).

Let me preface this by saying that I love SLU.

I wonder how many people are actually going to attend a game between SLU (St. Louis, MO) and Tulane (new Orleans, LA) in Phoenix, AZ?  SLU and Tulane are both roughly 1,500 miles away from Phoenix.  SLU averages less than 7,000 fans per game at home and Tulane averages less than 2,000.  I understand that both schools probably have alumni in the area that might attend the game.  This is a showcase with some other games later and they're probably selling tickets as a package deal.  However, I'd guess it will be very sparsely attended in person.  Talking Stick Resort Arena has a capacity of over 18,000.  The place is going to be a morgue.

Further, if there is no TV for this game, I wonder if the total number of people who witness this game is going to be less than 1,000.

If a NCAA Division I basketball game occurs and no one sees it, does it actually count?

4 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Let me preface this by saying that I love SLU.

I wonder how many people are actually going to attend a game between SLU (St. Louis, MO) and Tulane (new Orleans, LA) in Phoenix, AZ?  SLU and Tulane are both roughly 1,500 miles away from Phoenix.  SLU averages less than 7,000 fans per game at home and Tulane averages less than 2,000.  I understand that both schools probably have alumni in the area that might attend the game.  This is a showcase with some other games later and they're probably selling tickets as a package deal.  However, I'd guess it will be very sparsely attended in person.  Talking Stick Resort Arena has a capacity of over 18,000.  The place is going to be a morgue.

Further, if there is no TV for this game, I wonder if the total number of people who witness this game is going to be less than 1,000.

If a NCAA Division I basketball game occurs and no one sees it, does it actually count?

It’s a part of a triple header. Dayton and the cult of Grand Canyon are also on the card 

edit: skimmed your post and missed where you acknowledged the other 2 games.

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

SVU fans have probably stopped in Phoenix on their way back from Maui. I don't know what those people in Dayton do for a living, but they sure do seem to have lots of $$$$ and time to travel no matter where the Flyers play. 

wright patterson AF base.   i think i read once like 30,000 Civil Service employees.   i..e a big part of the deep state overpaid underworked.   

Since my last post about teamrankings they changed their mind again and now it is SLU who is favored to win with 1 star confidence level. I would not doubt they might change their minds again and again. What this really means is that we are thought to have 50-50 chance, tied with Tulane, to win this game. As I said before we can win this game.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

wright patterson AF base.   i think i read once like $30,000 Civil Service employees.   i..e a big part of the deep state overpaid underworked.   

It has over 30,000 employees, indeed. Largest single-site employer in Ohio, with an estimated economic impact of between $4 billion and $4.5 billion.

I see no reason to trash our military and civil servants, though. I have friends who work there and who are far from overpaid - and even overqualified for what they're currently doing.

NH, Zink, cheeseman and 4 others like this

14 minutes ago, slu72 said:

SVU fans have probably stopped in Phoenix on their way back from Maui. I don't know what those people in Dayton do for a living, but they sure do seem to have lots of $$$$ and time to travel no matter where the Flyers play. 

I honestly think Dayton's alumni base is a lot like SLU's, but I'm guessing they have a much smaller percentage of graduates in and around Dayton than SLU has in and around STL. The city is much smaller, as are its opportunities.

The difference is that their basketball culture has historically been different. The arena has always been just across the river from campus, the team has been consistently competitive, and they have unwavering local support. For whatever reason, they've had generations of students and other fans coming out where SLU has been up and down. And they travel much better.

Culture takes a long time to change.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I honestly think Dayton's alumni base is a lot like SLU's, but I'm guessing they have a much smaller percentage of graduates in and around Dayton than SLU has in and around STL. The city is much smaller, as are its opportunities.

The difference is that their basketball culture has historically been different. The arena has always been just across the river from campus, the team has been consistently competitive, and they have unwavering local support. For whatever reason, they've had generations of students and other fans coming out where SLU has been up and down. And they travel much better.

If SLU could have kept the mid/late 1990s hype train running, then I have no doubt we'd be similar to Dayton in terms of fanbase rabidness.  Romar (to some extent) and Soderberg really took the wind out of our sails.  Need to sustain success across generations with no gaps of being awful to build that kind of support.  We started to build it up again and then Crews killed it.

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

also having no other sporting team or events near helps. 

23 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

If SLU could have kept the mid/late 1990s hype train running, then I have no doubt we'd be similar to Dayton in terms of fanbase rabidness.  Romar (to some extent) and Soderberg really took the wind out of our sails.  Need to sustain success across generations with no gaps of being awful to build that kind of support.  We started to build it up again and then Crews killed it.

Dayton's glory days being in the mid to late 1960s instead of the late 1940s/early 1950s like SLU also helps. Not many people walking around today saw Easy Ed play in person.

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It has over 30,000 employees, indeed. Largest single-site employer in Ohio, with an estimated economic impact of between $4 billion and $4.5 billion.

I see no reason to trash our military and civil servants, though. I have friends who work there and who are far from overpaid - and even overqualified for what they're currently doing.

the active duty military deserves every penny they get and more.   i do not consider them part of the deep state.