OT Dumpster Fire in Columbia

Aquinas

Just now, Box and Won said:

I check Tigerboard maybe once or twice a year.  It makes me so grateful for this board, in terms of both layout and content.

I suffered from migraines for 10+ years and recently had my first one in over a decade. I'm not going to risk opening Tigerboard and triggering another one.

That website is unbearable to look at even by the standards of the first 5 years of public Internet. I haven't seen it in at least 5 years. I'm assuming it still looks like trash. I'm not willing to check.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Why do I care what's on Tigerboard?

All I'm saying on that point is I keep my schadenfreude to myself on those losses and don't set myself up for potential embarrassment by putting it in writing.

You may be missing my point.  I'm not asking you to care about Tigerboard and I'm not asking you to express any joy about another program's losses publicly in an internet forum.  I'm just adding to the conversation by saying that if the shoe were on the other foot....

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I suffered from migraines for 10+ years and recently had my first one in over a decade. I'm not going to risk opening Tigerboard and triggering another one.

That website is unbearable to look at even by the standards of the first 5 years of public Internet. I haven't seen it in at least 5 years. I'm assuming it still looks like trash. I'm not willing to check.

It's still beyond awful.  Don't check.

Just now, Quality Is Job 1 said:

You may be missing my point.  I'm not asking you to care about Tigerboard and I'm not asking you to express any joy about another program's losses publicly in an internet forum.  I'm just adding to the conversation by saying that if the shoe were on the other foot....

I'm not missing your point. I don't care at all what Mizzou fans say about us.

Buster and slufanskip like this

30 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Amazing they haven’t even come close to updating it in the last 20 years. Kind of a microcosm of the fan apathy. 

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Amazing they haven’t even come close to updating it in the last 20 years. Kind of a microcosm of the fan apathy. 

I'd assume the numbers are far higher than here, given the size of the school and fan base. And I would've thought the SEC move would be a net positive for fan engagement with the program and everything surrounding it, including a fan-run message board.

It just strikes me as poor management by whoever's running it. I know people get used to formats and fear change, but every time Steve has upgraded here, it just takes a day or two before you realize how much better it is.

I have this site open at work a lot (obviously), and part of the reason is because it's such a clean layout. People walking by wouldn't necessarily assume it isn't work-related unless a particularly loud avatar is currently on the screen or there's a video/tweet/photo.

31 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'd assume the numbers are far higher than here, given the size of the school and fan base. And I would've thought the SEC move would be a net positive for fan engagement with the program and everything surrounding it, including a fan-run message board.

It just strikes me as poor management by whoever's running it. I know people get used to formats and fear change, but every time Steve has upgraded here, it just takes a day or two before you realize how much better it is.

I have this site open at work a lot (obviously), and part of the reason is because it's such a clean layout. People walking by wouldn't necessarily assume it isn't work-related unless a particularly loud avatar is currently on the screen or there's a video/tweet/photo.

As a side note, I have an extension on my chrome called "decreased productivity." You can easily toggle it on and off and it makes everything look like a plain white screen with black Arial text, and greys out images unless you hover over them. Example below. Has saved me many times when my boss walks into my office.

image.thumb.png.aca7ce21b594eba8a80facee28e936a9.png

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Reading that website reminds me of the first time I tried to read a Twitter conversation. My head almost exploded. We're talking about people that have the option to pay $7/month to read content from actual Mizzou "insiders" at Powermizzou.com  yet choose not to. Not sure we're dealing with the best and brightest.

Two notes.

One, I wonder how things would be different if Corey Tate stayed at Mizzou.

Second, I always grin a bit when people praise this forum's layout versus Tigerboard's.  I am also happier with this layout, but to get into the weeds, what we use is a "flat" layout.  Tigerboard uses "threaded."  We used threaded for a VERY long time - but no forum software really makes threaded anymore.  But Billikens.com users at the time expressed strong resistance to moving from threaded moving to flat.  So much so, that I actually contacted Nick to see if I could buy a copy of Tigerboard's software.

That said, I am supremely happy with Invision Services and Invision Power Board (the software we use).  I don't have the skills to make every little feature people want - but I got lucky in picking the right horse when we switched god knows how many years ago now.

2 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

As a side note, I have an extension on my chrome called "decreased productivity." You can easily toggle it on and off and it makes everything look like a plain white screen with black Arial text, and greys out images unless you hover over them. Example below. Has saved me many times when my boss walks into my office.

That is freaking brilliant.

1 hour ago, SluSignGuy said:

Two notes.

Second, I always grin a bit when people praise this forum's layout versus Tigerboard's.  I am also happier with this layout, but to get into the weeds, what we use is a "flat" layout.  Tigerboard uses "threaded."  We used threaded for a VERY long time - but no forum software really makes threaded anymore.  But Billikens.com users at the time expressed strong resistance to moving from threaded moving to flat.  So much so, that I actually contacted Nick to see if I could buy a copy of Tigerboard's software.

That said, I am supremely happy with Invision Services and Invision Power Board (the software we use).  I don't have the skills to make every little feature people want - but I got lucky in picking the right horse when we switched god knows how many years ago now.

And we are so glad you did pick correctly and truly appreciate all the time and effort you put into Billikens.com. 

2 hours ago, rgbilliken said:

What is this sorcery?!?

3 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

Two notes.

This board is the best, easy to read, navigate, complement posts, contact other posters, information such as Pistol’s recruiting and to make sure tickets are used.

You have done a great job thank you Steve.

I never talk down about individual student athletes on any team but I reserve the right to talk trash about other fan bases and their coaches. Especially one that has been thumbing their collective nose at "little brother" for so many years; regardless of the fact that a series with SLU is overwhelmingly supported by neutral observers in college basketball and that it would be a mutually beneficial series to both schools both financially and culturally. 

Mizzou fans are a special breed: Because their primary rival for so many years is one of the blue bloods of college basketball, they believe they are in that tier of program as well. They have won zero National Championships and have zero Final Four appearances. They are 21-19 against SLU all time and 2-1 against us in the last three games in '99, '00, and '01. That is hardly dominance. I don't know where I would rank Mizzou in terms of prestige against all programs, but they are as far away from being a blue blood as SLU is historically, and likely farther away from being one in the future. 

They deserve all the comeuppance they can possibly get. I love watching Mizzou lose. I would love to play them on annual basis and would love to watch them lose to SLU. 

4 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

Two notes.

you made an excellant choice, i have tried to read the tigerboard as i am a football fan, but found it basically unreadable