OT Dumpster Fire in Columbia

Aquinas

The Tigers lost a home buy game to a team ranked about 330.
They should have won by 25, instead lose by 8.
Clearly the worst loss under coach Martin and might be the worst in history.
The Tiger board is in flames, with calls for Martin's firing.
The Tigers are 4 and 4, with a tough road game coming up against Temple and of coures a tough SEC schedule on the horizon. 
Their post season hopes died last night.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Poach Martin not being able to successfully recruit the St. Louis area has sealed his fate.

Not landing Liddell, Love, Fletcher started turning the fans against Martin.

The fans thought players like Bradford, Hargrove, Kasubke and Kalkbrenner were not good enough for them.  

Now wait a second. Charlston Southern is a good team (3 wins out of 8 games) with close losses:

14 point loss to NC A&T

29 point loss to Dayton

44 point loss to Furman

48 point loss to Michigan State

35 point loss to Utah Southern

LMAO  couldnt happen to a better guy and program !  How much SEC football money will be left after they find a new football coach?  Maybe they can hire Michael Porter Sr?  I have heard he is a very good coach !

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

Poach Martin not being able to successfully recruit the St. Louis area has sealed his fate.

The fans thought players like Bradford, Hargrove, Kasubke and Kalkbrenner were not good enough for them.  

Didn’t they offer Bradford and Kasubke, but lost out to K-State?

Martin is 4th place at best when it comes to St. Louis talent behind: 1. big name school (Duke, UNC, UK) who take top recruits, 2. Ford, 3. Weber.

This isn’t going to be popular, but I’m not going to throw stones at Mizzou for this loss.  The stat line looks exactly like I’d expect an inexplicable SLU loss this season to look: Positive rebounding margin, but horrible shooting by us and very hot 3pt shooting by them.

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Martin is 4th place at best when it comes to St. Louis talent behind: 1. big name school (Duke, UNC, UK) who take top recruits, 2. Ford, 3. Weber.

This isn’t going to be popular, but I’m not going to throw stones at Mizzou for this loss.  The stat line looks exactly like I’d expect an inexplicable SLU loss this season to look: Positive rebounding margin, but horrible shooting by us and very hot 3pt shooting by them.

Oh we could definitely have an absolute disaster at some point but I’m just rolling with it for now. 

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

He has 5 St Louis area guys on his team. He has plenty of talent to work with. Recruiting hasn’t been the problem - coaching and player development have been. 

SShoe and 3star_recruit like this

13 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

While that is true, the one thing I would say is that with Goodwin and French being our older players, those are the guys that I feel would take over a game like that for us now and get the dirty points down low (like in the Belmont game with French or BC with Goodwin).  I think Thatch is a player that will turn into that type of guy in a year or two as well.  Tilmon seems to be the only player on Mizzou that will work down low.

Was Watson this one dimensional of a player in high school?  It looks like all he does it take 3s.  While Gibson was recruited as our sniper, even in the High Point game, Gibson was hitting his 3s but he would also fake and pull down and step into a longer to mid range 2 during that game.  I have seen Gibson do that in other games too trying to create some points.  Watson was 0-7 from 3 in 25 minutes.  Looking at his stat line this year it doesn't seem he does much else other than shoot 3s.  

I'm sure we have a trap game or a head scratcher in our future as well. But as someone pointed out we have JGood and French as our firewall. Still, there may come a game where things just don't go our way for any number of reasons. That said Charleston Southern is not a very good team. The Poacher should be ashamed.

i really had quit following mi$$ouri the last few years.   i pretty much feel they are inferior to us and their arrogant attitude to refuse to play us buried any further thoughts.   that said, it was just great to wake up this morning to the news that they lost to the 300+ ranked charleston southern.    hahahahahaha  their fall continues.  

now poacher better get working to steal some more players. 

38 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

It looks like the perfect storm. Mizzou up at the half, big man sat in the first half with foul trouble coming back in the second half.  It didn't look good, but looked like the game was under control. The wheels came off in the second half.  Tigers couldn't hit a 3, Charleston gets red hot and the tigers didn't make the required adjustments to at least win ugly. Anybody can get upset, but this team was way at the bottom of division 1.

35 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Popular or not - also not a fair comparison.  We have only 2 veteran players on our team -  the rest of guys played limited roles, limited time or are new faces as we recover from S2. I had been very concerned about our early start this year - Mizzou in a different position.

Sure, upsets happen in college basketball. See Duke, Kentucky... but Martin is in his 3rd year, these are his guys, no Situation, no major injuries, 4th loss, at home to a 300+ team who had only won 2 games out of 7... please no more excuses. 

29 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Well, mizzou can’t fire him 

This appears to be true. Martin's contract says that he can't be fired without cause until May 1, 2020. If he's fired between that date and April 30, 2021, he's owed a $6 million buyout. The buyout drops to $3 million the next year, $1 million the following, and $300,000 the final year. The overall deal is for 7 years and $21 million.

But here's the kicker: If Martin makes the Tournament at any time, his firing/buyout terms get pushed back a year. They made the Tournament his first season, 2017-2018. That means his actual can't-be-fired-until date is May 1, 2021. And the $6 million buyout is now between that date and April 30, 2022. And so forth.

One side note: May 1 is very late in the spring as it relates to the annual coaching carousel. It puts Mizzou at a huge disadvantage if they dump him on May 1, 2021 - in addition to being on the hook for another $6 million.

They are legitimately stuck with Martin until May 1, 2021. I would expect that we will see a very public countdown clock for Mizzou fans catching fire on social media. If you see "5/1/21" in the context of Mizzou fandom, now you have the explanation.

Zink and rgbilliken like this

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This appears to be true. Martin's contract says that he can't be fired without cause until May 1, 2020. If he's fired between that date and April 30, 2021, he's owed a $6 million buyout. The buyout drops to $3 million the next year, $1 million the following, and $300,000 the final year. The overall deal is for 7 years and $21 million.

But here's the kicker: If Martin makes the Tournament at any time, his firing/buyout terms get pushed back a year. They made the Tournament his first season, 2017-2018. That means his actual can't-be-fired-until date is May 1, 2021. And the $6 million buyout is now between that date and April 30, 2022. And so forth.

One side note: May 1 is very late in the spring as it relates to the annual coaching carousel. It puts Mizzou at a huge disadvantage if they dump him on May 1, 2021 - in addition to being on the hook for another $6 million.

They are legitimately stuck with Martin until May 1, 2021. I would expect that we will see a very public countdown clock for Mizzou fans catching fire on social media. If you see "5/1/21" in the context of Mizzou fandom, now you have the explanation.

Hoping Mizzou extends his contract even further🤣

willie likes this

Going into that game Miz was a B+ team....CharSo was an F-...15th worst ITN.

After the game ...Miz... C........CharSo...D

Interesting side note...before the game both CharSo and fellow BS conf team (Big South)  High Point were both F- teams...a game at a neutral site would have been even.

Spoon-Balls likes this

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

While that is true, the one thing I would say is that with Goodwin and French being our older players, those are the guys that I feel would take over a game like that for us now and get the dirty points down low (like in the Belmont game with French or BC with Goodwin).  I think Thatch is a player that will turn into that type of guy in a year or two as well.  Tilmon seems to be the only player on Mizzou that will work down low.

Was Watson this one dimensional of a player in high school?  It looks like all he does it take 3s.  While Gibson was recruited as our sniper, even in the High Point game, Gibson was hitting his 3s but he would also fake and pull down and step into a longer to mid range 2 during that game.  I have seen Gibson do that in other games too trying to create some points.  Watson was 0-7 from 3 in 25 minutes.  Looking at his stat line this year it doesn't seem he does much else other than shoot 3s.  

I've seen two Mizzou games this year and it looks like Dru Smith is playing one game and the rest of the team is playing another. That's Cuonzo's fault. He had Smith for an entire year as a redshirt transfer. They shouldn't be this lost on offense.

Bills_06 likes this

With apologies to the few fine people I know around here who also cheer for Mizzou, the funniest possible outcome here is if Mizzou's season continues to be a disaster and then they win the SEC Tournament.

5/1/215/1/22

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I've seen two Mizzou games this year and it looks like Dru Smith is playing one game and the rest of the team is playing another. That's Cuonzo's fault. He had Smith for an entire year as a redshirt transfer. They shouldn't be this lost on offense.

What about with Watson?  Did you think he was going to be mainly a 3 point threat in college?  I remember since him and Thatch were same year discussions of him being the better shooter/scorer than Thatch but I am surprised at how bad of a season it appears he is having from looking at the stat sheet.  

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

What about with Watson?  Did you think he was going to be mainly a 3 point threat in college?  I remember since him and Thatch were same year discussions of him being the better shooter/scorer than Thatch but I am surprised at how bad of a season it appears he is having from looking at the stat sheet.  

Watson was a high volume scorer in high school who went to a program were there aren't many offensive possessions to go around. Style of play is the number one factor that recruits and their family should focus on but they often get snowed by the sales pitch.

Watson should be at a high mid-major that plays uptempo where he can get his shots, like Houston or Dayton.

Bills_06 likes this