Ford's rotations

Crewsorlose

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

dennis ---- Jimmy Bell is a project, plain and simple.  I equate his starting to Grandy Glaze starting his junior year.  Glaze gave us four minutes at the start of each half and that was it.  Short of some decent minutes in the BC game, Bell has done very little.  That's why I said in the "Welcome" thread that 2.7 ppg is not a real conclusive assessment for me.  

Very good comparison

You are the biggest cheerleader for THE LOCOMOTIVE.  Good for you.  Stay the course.  Just like 72 conducts the Yurimania express.  Both are projects of equal value and will be needed down the line.  But right now, Bell's contributions are still a work in progress.  My expectations on the kid are nothing more  then him being serviceable.  Tadysak, Butler and Sekue were NOT SERVICEABLE BIGS.  Neither were Ivester, Braun , Gillman, Newbourne, Jolly, Neufeld, Husak,  and almost anyone else in a SLU uniform.  Best of the bigs were Conklin (one year), Evans, Ellis, Bonner, Roland Gray, Loe (skilled but got pushed all around his Freshman year), Foreman, Vouyoukous, (but not his Freshman year) Harris, Dobbs (who wasn't a big) and maybe Kenny Brown.  In the middle were guys like Heinrich, Baniak, Tatum, Hudson, Sloan, Harris, Dobbs, Forman, Jamal Johnson, Melvin Robinson, Carlos Skinner, David Robinson, Donnie Campbell  and some others who usually passed some nights, not so much on others.  I am hopeful Bell becomes big manlegned but will accept middle of the road before it's all over.  

Having both him and Diarra as MOTR folks together in a year or two would be great.  Giving just as much if not more than the duo of Osunniyi and Ipkeze at Bonaventure.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

It literally doesn’t. Not every big man needs that much time. Gordon last year, French his freshmen year... these guys were ready to play. Stop setting the bar so low. We needs to have higher standards for this program. 

If guards are no good as frosh, they're usually not contributing in major ways later on. Not true with big men. I'd like JBJr. to play more steady minutes. I think Ford was mad that Bell got beat down court by the SIUC big who got a layup. 

21 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

I still think Thatch plays a big role on this team. The real question is how the team does when it needs another big. CF has mostly gotten away with playing Perkins or Jimmerson at the 4. 

Let's hope they find a solution for Fred's illness. We are going to need him before all is said and done. 

What do we know about Thatch's illness? Not much so what follow is primarily clinical speculation. We do know that he is fully ambulatory, and that he does not appear to have been "wasted" by his disease. In other words, he does not appear to have lost a lot of weight or appear (stress on the word appear) to have been weakened by the disease. He is not carrying a face mask, and whenever I looked at him during a game I never saw him coughing, or sneezing, or falling asleep while sitting down. He is not playing but does not have any outward signs of disease that are detectable at a distance. Now, and here I go on a limb, please understand this as speculation and nothing else. I would say he could have something that results in an internal issue preventing him from play. My main thought here is splenomegaly which keeps him from playing because of the danger of contact trauma causing a rupture of the spleen that could be quite serious. The most common cause of splenomegaly in a young healthy person is Mononucleosis. Points against him having Mononucleosis are simply that this is a fatigue and incoordination inducing disease. Do not take this as me saying he has NO fatigue or incoordination in a daily basis. However, if he does have fatigue or incoordination it does not appear severe enough to be detectable at a distance by the way he moves and interacts with others.

THIS IS PURE CLINICAL SPECULATION, NOT A TRUE DIAGNOSIS.

Mono tends to run its course in its own time, I hope it is mild enough to result in a full recovery soon. This is a disease, assuming this is what he has which is a big IF, that can allow play once the spleen is back down to normal size. He needs careful follow up afterwards to check for recurrent splenomegaly (and further time out), and he may or may not be fully recovered and playing at his full capability, even without detectable splenomegaly, because of residual low grade fatigue and incoordination present.

AGAIN, THIS IS PURE CLINICAL SPECULATION.

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

What do we know about Thatch's illness? Not much so what follow is primarily clinical speculation. We do know that he is fully ambulatory, and that he does not appear to have been "wasted" by his disease. In other words, he does not appear to have lost a lot of weight or appear (stress on the word appear) to have been weakened by the disease. He is not carrying a face mask, and whenever I looked at him during a game I never saw him coughing, or sneezing, or falling asleep while sitting down. He is not playing but does not have any outward signs of disease that are detectable at a distance. Now, and here I go on a limb, please understand this as speculation and nothing else. I would say he could have something that results in an internal issue preventing him to play. My main thought here is splenomegaly which keeps him from playing because of the danger of contact trauma causing a rupture of the spleen that could be quite serious. The most common cause of splenomegaly in a young healthy person is Mononucleosis. Points against him having Mononucleosis are simply that this is a fatigue and incoordination inducing disease. Do not take this as me saying he has NO fatigue or incoordination in a daily basis. However, if he does have fatigue or incoordination it does not appear severe enough to be detectable at a distance by the way he moves and interacts with others.

THIS IS PURE CLINICAL SPECULATION, NOT A TRUE DIAGNOSIS.

Mono tends to run its course in its own time, I hope it is mild enough to result in a full recovery soon. This is a disease, assuming this is what he has which is a big IF, that can allow play once the spleen is back down to normal size. He needs careful follow up afterwards to check for recurrent splenomegaly (and further time out), and he may or may not be fully recovered and playing at his full capability, even without detectable splenomegaly, because of residual low grade fatigue and incoordination present.

AGAIN, THIS IS PURE CLINICAL SPECULATION.

cramping was mentioned. Is that symptomatic of mono?

CT --- while I appreciate your attempt to correct me, my listings were done as general examples and based on cumulative results.  Roland Gray was a small forward, not a big.  He remains our greatest 3Point % shooter all time.  A big does not do that.  Sure Loe got pushed around his skinny arse freshman year.  Still that was one year and ditto on Voyoukous.  On the flip side, Conklin only had one year, his senior year.

My putting Harris and Dobbs in as bigs was due to where they were forced to play due to roster composition.  They deserve mention.  After doing so, I double clutched on Robinson and Campbell because they too were small forwards at best, square pegs placed into round holes.  Not really eligible for my listing but so what?  

In my tenure, I have been extremely excited to get a 6'10" or 6'11" kid and think "oh yeah baby, here we go."  You can imagine my giddiness at Gillmann, Jolly and Neufeld then.  And how south did that go?  Just once, I'd like to see a kid that size do what a traditional big used to do.  Bang inside.  Block shots. Rebound.  Intimidate.  Maybe 10 ppg.  Right now, Jimmy is building stamina and getting a feel for the game.  Good for him; bad fro team contributions.

I disagree with anyone who said I had anything more than project expectations for Jimmy Bell to start the season.  I'd rather not set anything more than that for freshmen (including Yuri) until I see more.  Unlike DoctorB who said on October 26 about Jimmy's sheer size and power along with " .... kid has great feet for a big guy, and maybe even better hands: soft and skilled, left or right..... He has a good chance to become an overpowering force in the A10..... that said, he will get minutes immediately and will become a crowd favorite right away too.  He is so strong that I've seen him get his shot blocked pretty well and he still muscled it into the bucket .... I also think his upside is so high that he will play right away."  All I'm saying is along the lines of go see the kids play ... .................. let the kids play.  Their play will dictate what the results will be.  Crowd favorite versus whipping boy?  I don't think either is right right now.  And Yuri has demonstrated massive swings on the pro/con meter.  But it's all good.

Big test on Sunday.  Tulane is 6 and 1 and has four guards leading their way.... Hightower, Lawson, Thompson and Walker.  Lawson is the nomad who started at Memphis, went to Kansas and is now a GT at Tulane.  Hightower spent two seasons at Georgia before transferring the usual way and ending up at Tulane.  And I thought I recognized Thompson from his days elsewhere .... sure enough, Rhode Island.  Their two big guys are a senior from China and a freshman from Wisconsin.  The next two with major minutes are also guards.  Its gonna be a guard's game.  

And back to the topic at hand, this upcoming lineup does not bode well for extended Jimmy Bell minutes or accomplishments.  

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

And back to the topic at hand, this upcoming lineup does not bode well for extended Jimmy Bell minutes or accomplishments.  

or or a guard will have to go against French. 

2 hours ago, Crewsorlose said:

I think Ford was mad that Bell got beat down court by the SIUC big who got a layup. 

I agree 100% with this.  On Scoops yesterday Ford said a player's positives how to outweigh (he said double) the negatives.  Not running hard down court would be a big negative. 

Crewsorlose likes this

wgstl: true.  But I would expect Days and Zhang on Hasahn for the most part as I doubt Bell is out there too long given the matchup and Tulane's roster composition.  Now, Lawson is a 6'7" guard and Hightower is listed at 6'5".  Also, Thompson found himself on French a few times in his old days at Rhode Island.  He's 6'4".  Still should be who imposes their will on the other.  Tulane is at Southern Miss tonight favored by 2.  Haven't found any TV for it.

15 hours ago, dennis_w said:

I think of some of the big men that wore a slu uniform, tadyshak, melroy butler. sekue. Bell was not a top 100 and nobody said he was , i do not understand the constant badgering of that young man. there have been very few bigs produce as freshman for the billikens

Dennis, you really should get off the “constant badgering” kick. At the start of the season, we had posters indicating Bell was leading the pack down the court at the 5 minute point in scrimmages, that he was going to go off for 8 & 8 in the first game, and that he had won a starting position due to his remarkable physical transformation and aerobic conditioning.

I had seen Bell in scrimmages and knew he had not progressed to that level, and I was not hesitant in writing such. Since that time, his production, and the usage pattern Ford has him playing, supports my observations at the beginning of the season.

He still is a freshman big project, trying to hammer his body into a D1 center while learning to play basketball. There is no harm involved in noting he is toward the slow side on speed, nor comments on his hands, positioning, defensive skills, jumping ability, etc.

He has a $45k scholarship to attend school and play basketball. If you accept a schollie to a D1 school, one that has a basketball forum, you will get poked, prodded, put down, and elevated as the second coming. Usually in the course of three or four games. 

6 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Dennis, you really should get off the “constant badgering” kick. At the start of the season, we had posters indicating Bell was leading the pack down the court at the 5 minute point in scrimmages, that he was going to go off for 8 & 8 in the first game, and that he had won a starting position due to his remarkable physical transformation and aerobic conditioning.

I had seen Bell in scrimmages and knew he had not progressed to that level, and I was not hesitant in writing such. Since that time, his production, and the usage pattern Ford has him playing, supports my observations at the beginning of the season.

He still is a freshman big project, trying to hammer his body into a D1 center while learning to play basketball. There is no harm involved in noting he is toward the slow side on speed, nor comments on his hands, positioning, defensive skills, jumping ability, etc.

He has a $45k scholarship to attend school and play basketball. If you accept a schollie to a D1 school, one that has a basketball forum, you will get poked, prodded, put down, and elevated as the second coming. Usually in the course of three or four games. 

While I concede Bell is not ready for heavy minutes I think he has the size and talent to be one of SLU's best centers. {yes I know we haven't had many} 

17 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

wgstl: true.  But I would expect Days and Zhang on Hasahn for the most part as I doubt Bell is out there too long given the matchup and Tulane's roster composition.  Now, Lawson is a 6'7" guard and Hightower is listed at 6'5".  Also, Thompson found himself on French a few times in his old days at Rhode Island.  He's 6'4".  Still should be who imposes their will on the other.  Tulane is at Southern Miss tonight favored by 2.  Haven't found any TV for it.

Lawson has gotten 78% of Tulane’s minutes at the 4 and 5% of their minutes at the 5, so I would expect him to spend some time on French.

1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

Everything you say is correct.  The disagreement is on expectations.  He's starting right now to get the opening tip and to keep French out of foul trouble for the first 7 minutes or so.  If he was on the bench at the beginning of the game, I'd bet you'd be with the rest of us who are willing to be patient and let him develop.

Remember Chris Heinrich.  He gave us almost nothing his first two years, and then was a decent center for us the last two.  I think Bell has more potential than Heinrich.  We just need to not be expecting him to be playing at an upperclassman level in the first 10 games since leaving high school.

2 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Since this board consist of mbm's which am one, i will continue post my opinions while respecting the opinions of others, so i will likely remain on whatever "kick" i choose

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

CT --- while I appreciate your attempt to correct me, my listings were done as general examples and based on cumulative results.  Roland Gray was a small forward, not a big.  He remains our greatest 3Point % shooter all time.  A big does not do that.  Sure Loe got pushed around his skinny arse freshman year.  Still that was one year and ditto on Voyoukous.  On the flip side, Conklin only had one year, his senior year.

Understood.   Yes, Loe and Voyoukas were not all that good their Freshman year - but that is common for young bigs.   In fact, Loe scored 6.7 ppg as a Frosh (less competition) and then 5.2 ppg as a Soph (he was stronger/better but had more competition).    And Conklin was more than one year guy -- as he scored 6 ppg his Freshman and Soph years (Soph year he had the bad ankles) before increasing to approximately 9 his JR year and then 14 his Senior year while battling all 4 years.

Agree as to the old school centers -- Heinrich comes to mind.  Wish more guys had a nasty streak in protecting the lane, blocking shots, etc.  Bell unfortunately seems like an easy going, nice kid - hoping he can change that abit.  Bob Huggens always had those Cincy bigs with tatoos, who were strong, nasty and intimidating.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

PMS?

2 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

True.  He might be pregnant......

No.

Cramps normally go away after about a max a few days with proper hydration. "Chronic" Cramping is indicative of possible nerve damage.

Obviously this is all ridiculous to talk about since some on this board know the real answer