Ford's rotations

Crewsorlose

Curious what the board thinks about Ford's rotations. Yesterday Perkins came off the bench but basically didn't come out the rest of the game. CF also kept the same crew on the floor in the BC game that had the big run. I get this to an extent, but also think that players' confidence is linked to some kind of steady run.

Will rotations stabilize next month? Will Bell or Hankton get  buried? Will Weaver get buried (it seems his leash has been short, and I generally like what he gives on the floor). Is he just sending a message that he doesn't think they're playing hard enough? 

This has been about as good a start as anybody expected. I had the team at 8-5 for the preseason and I'd be disappointed at anything less than 10-3. Meanwhile, let's beat Tulane and pick up at least that one vote from the coach who had them in the top 25 this week. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Will rotations stabilize next month? Will Bell or Hankton get  buried? Will Weaver get buried (it seems his leash has been short, and I generally like what he gives on the floor). Is he just sending a message that he doesn't think they're playing hard enough? 

This has been about as good a start as anybody expected. I had the team at 8-5 for the preseason and I'd be disappointed at anything less than 10-3. Meanwhile, let's beat Tulane and pick up at least that one vote from the coach who had them in the top 25 this week. 

Why would Bell get buried? 

It seems Ford is just riding the hot hand. Outside of French and Goodwin, depending on match-ups, it has been different guys that have stepped up. Yesterday it was Perkins time. GJ had a game. Jacobs had a bust out game. I think you will continue to see the secondary players who step up vary from game to game. I don't mind, I think it is a strength and one of things that could make us tough to deal with. It is very unusual for SLU teams, which is why I think some people are getting hung up about who is getting how many minutes. Sit back and enjoy the ride. It won't always be pretty, but It's like we're treated to a new adventure every game.

14 minutes ago, ACE said:

It seems Ford is just riding the hot hand. Outside of French and Goodwin, depending on match-ups, it has been different guys that have stepped up. Yesterday it was Perkins time. GJ had a game. Jacobs had a bust out game. I think you will continue to see the secondary players who step up vary from game to game. I don't mind, I think it is a strength and one of things that could make us tough to deal with. It is very unusual for SLU teams, which is why I think some people are getting hung up about who is getting how many minutes. Sit back and enjoy the ride. It won't always be pretty, but It's like we're treated to a new adventure every game.

This is my favorite part of the team. 2 beasts and then a rotating third wheel. 

33 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Because he didn't come in for the last 36 minutes of the game on Sunday. 

jb is the message board whipping boy, so saying things like he will be buried crop up often. i dont know what ford has in mind for the rest of the season, but i dont think jb will lose his minutes

I totally agree with some of the comments above.  The identity of this team right now is its versatility.  We have different guys that can match up with whatever the other team gives us.  Bell has even given us extended stretches when his size was the advantage we needed.  Weaver can give us speed and outside shooting.  Jimerson can give us shooting and, as a pleasant surprise, a little bit of defense.  Yuri can create when needed.  Perkins can come in when we just need scoring.  Thatch, when back to healthy, can shut an opposing star down.

Ford has depth that he hasn't had here before, and, more importantly, the pieces to plug in for what the match up requires.  No one other than French and Goodwin are consistent yet.  Nobody is a legit superstar.  This team is about Ford having so many options.  Let's let him mix and match as necessary.

slufanskip, CBFan and rgbilliken like this

4 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

jb is the message board whipping boy, so saying things like he will be buried crop up often. i dont know what ford has in mind for the rest of the season, but i dont think jb will lose his minutes

Agree.  I've been a fan of what Bell has done so far.  He's shown good big man moves when he's one on one.  He's decent defensively.  Those that are critical need to remember that it takes a big man longer to develop at the D1 level.

2 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i apologize for the initials roy, i was lazy in my typing. I am all in on THE LOCOMOTIVE

😄 i cant wait to put this string next to the sky is falling column that will be started after our 3 out of conference road games.   

slufanskip and dennis_w like this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

😄 i cant wait to put this string next to the sky is falling column that will be started after our 3 out of conference road games.   

The three upcoming road games are not true road games, they are all on neutral courts.  That helps SLU's chances.  Granted the Auburn game is in Birmingham, but at least the opposing team is not playing on a court that they routinely play on.  I like SLU's chances to win two of the games.

6 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

The three upcoming road games are not true road games, they are all on neutral courts.  That helps SLU's chances.  Granted the Auburn game is in Birmingham, but at least the opposing team is not playing on a court that they routinely play on.  I like SLU's chances to win two of the games.

Isn't one of the main "home court advantages / road team disadvantages" tied to teams playing on unfamiliar courts not being used to the shooting background and, therefore, shooting worse from the outside?  Our shooting mostly sucks anyways, but we can rebound anywhere.  I don't see this road or neutral courts being as big of an issue for us as it might be for a team that plays "beautiful" offense and relies less on rebounds.

30 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Isn't one of the main "home court advantages / road team disadvantages" tied to teams playing on unfamiliar courts not being used to the shooting background and, therefore, shooting worse from the outside?  Our shooting mostly sucks anyways, but we can rebound anywhere.  I don't see this road or neutral courts being as big of an issue for us as it might be for a team that plays "beautiful" offense and relies less on rebounds.

7 Home, 1 Away

Home  FG 46%, FT 54%, 3FG 40%

Away FG 36%, FT 57%, 3FG 26%

31 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

7 Home, 1 Away

Home  FG 46%, FT 54%, 3FG 40%

Away FG 36%, FT 57%, 3FG 26%

Small sample size alert.

I'll counter with this (also small sample size):

Average rebounding margin:

Home: +7

Away: +12

More missed shots just means more opportunities for us to grab rebounds.

4 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Agree.  I've been a fan of what Bell has done so far.  He's shown good big man moves when he's one on one.  He's decent defensively.  Those that are critical need to remember that it takes a big man longer to develop at the D1 level.

It literally doesn’t. Not every big man needs that much time. Gordon last year, French his freshmen year... these guys were ready to play. Stop setting the bar so low. We needs to have higher standards for this program. 

8 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

It literally doesn’t. Not every big man needs that much time. Gordon last year, French his freshmen year... these guys were ready to play. Stop setting the bar so low. We needs to have higher standards for this program. 

Equating Jimmy Bell Jr to Hasahn French and Carteare Gordon is one of the more clueless things you could do.  It makes no sense and is such a bad comparison

billiken_roy likes this

15 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I think of some of the big men that wore a slu uniform, tadyshak, melroy butler. sekue. Bell was not a top 100 and nobody said he was , i do not understand the constant badgering of that young man. there have been very few bigs produce as freshman for the billikens

Still a small sample size only playing 8 games this season Dennis.  I will wait until February to decide how well Bell is developing.  The wife and I cheer him as loud as we can as Bell walks through the tunnel.

Keep on keeping on coach Ford bring the big guy along and hopefully Jimmy will be a solid contributor by March.

5 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

The main advantage is crowd support, so yes playing in Birmingham or KC is basically a road game...

dennis ---- Jimmy Bell is a project, plain and simple.  I equate his starting to Grandy Glaze starting his junior year.  Glaze gave us four minutes at the start of each half and that was it.  Short of some decent minutes in the BC game, Bell has done very little.  That's why I said in the "Welcome" thread that 2.7 ppg is not a real conclusive assessment for me.  

I don't think anyone is badgering Jimmy Bell or making him a whipping boy.   Short of winning all but one opening tip, Bell's contributions have been minimal.  Bell gets 11 minutes a game for a total of 88 minutes and 16 of those came against BC.  The only games he didn't log at least ten minutes were Valpo and SIU.  He has positives in offensive rebounds and rpg and does okay (for this team) at 50% from the line.  The only thing I will say from where I sit and watch is that he seems slow for the game.  He hasn't caught up yet and since this league is a a guard's league, he'll be challenged to be an offensive contributor for most of his career.  But those are no reasons to throw the kid off the bus for me.  He'll get there, I believe.

You are the biggest cheerleader for THE LOCOMOTIVE.  Good for you.  Stay the course.  Just like 72 conducts the Yurimania express.  Both are projects of equal value and will be needed down the line.  But right now, Bell's contributions are still a work in progress.  My expectations on the kid are nothing more  then him being serviceable.  Tadysak, Butler and Sekue were NOT SERVICEABLE BIGS.  Neither were Ivester, Braun, Gillman, Newbourne, Jolly, Neufeld, Husak,  and almost anyone else in a SLU uniform.  Best of the bigs were Conklin (one year), Evans, Ellis, Bonner, Loe, Foreman, Vouyoukous, Harris, Dobbs (who wasn't a big) and maybe Kenny Brown.  In the middle were guys like Heinrich, Baniak, Tatum, Hudson, Sloan, and some others who usually passed some nights, not so much on others.  I am hopeful Bell becomes big manlegned but will accept middle of the road before it's all over.  

Having both him and Diarra as MOTR folks together in a year or two would be great.  Giving just as much if not more than the duo of Osunniyi and Ipkeze at Bonaventure.

44 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

dennis ---- Jimmy Bell is a project, plain and simple.  I equate his starting to Grandy Glaze starting his junior year.  Glaze gave us four minutes at the start of each half and that was it.  Short of some decent minutes in the BC game, Bell has done very little.  That's why I said in the "Welcome" thread that 2.7 ppg is not a real conclusive assessment for me.  

I don't think anyone is badgering Jimmy Bell or making him a whipping boy.   Short of winning all but one opening tip, Bell's contributions have been minimal.  Bell gets 11 minutes a game for a total of 88 minutes and 16 of those came against BC.  The only games he didn't log at least ten minutes were Valpo and SIU.  He has positives in offensive rebounds and rpg and does okay (for this team) at 50% from the line.  The only thing I will say from where I sit and watch is that he seems slow for the game.  He hasn't caught up yet and since this league is a a guard's league, he'll be challenged to be an offensive contributor for most of his career.  But those are no reasons to throw the kid off the bus for me.  He'll get there, I believe.

You are the biggest cheerleader for THE LOCOMOTIVE.  Good for you.  Stay the course.  Just like 72 conducts the Yurimania express.  Both are projects of equal value and will be needed down the line.  But right now, Bell's contributions are still a work in progress.  My expectations on the kid are nothing more  then him being serviceable.  Tadysak, Butler and Sekue were NOT SERVICEABLE BIGS.  Neither were Ivester, Braun, Gillman, Newbourne, Jolly, Neufeld, Husak,  and almost anyone else in a SLU uniform.  Best of the bigs were Conklin (one year), Evans, Ellis, Bonner, Loe, Foreman, Vouyoukous, Harris, Dobbs (who wasn't a big) and maybe Kenny Brown.  In the middle were guys like Heinrich, Baniak, Tatum, Hudson, Sloan, and some others who usually passed some nights, not so much on others.  I am hopeful Bell becomes big manlegned but will accept middle of the road before it's all over.  

Having both him and Diarra as MOTR folks together in a year or two would be great.  Giving just as much if not more than the duo of Osunniyi and Ipkeze at Bonaventure.

Bell is doing fine for a freshman big.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's putting up 10 and 8 as an upperclassman.