2020 Thanksgiving Tournament

ARon

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

Let's travel well and eventually build towards Maui. This is my dream. 

My dream as well. It doesn't get much better than playing in an intimate setting mere yards from the ocean in Maui. What an awesome set up.

Having said that, I just told my 5 year-old I finally have a legitimate reason to take her to Disney World. This tourney should be lots of fun. 

This tournament is very exciting and certainly a great field. The reality of it is that we HAVE to win the first game to get a truly great experience from it.

I assume based on the quality of the teams we'll be playing one of the better teams in the first game. Lose that and we are likely playing Belmont, Boise St. and Siena in the losers bracket. Win and you get two more quality opponents.

We know we won't play Auburn because we already will have a regular season game with them. I suspect they'll seed to some extent and Michigan St and Gonzaga will be the two top seeds. Assuming we aren't viewed as a 7 or 8 seed, that means our first round opponent is likely Xavier.

The only exception I could see is if they want a more compelling match-up in the first round they put us up against Gonzaga or Michigan St. Seems unlikely though.

drkelsey55 likes this

13 minutes ago, kshoe said:

This tournament is very exciting and certainly a great field. The reality of it is that we HAVE to win the first game to get a truly great experience from it.

I assume based on the quality of the teams we'll be playing one of the better teams in the first game. Lose that and we are likely playing Belmont, Boise St. and Siena in the losers bracket. Win and you get two more quality opponents.

We know we won't play Auburn because we already will have a regular season game with them. I suspect they'll seed to some extent and Michigan St and Gonzaga will be the two top seeds. Assuming we aren't viewed as a 7 or 8 seed, that means our first round opponent is likely Xavier.

The only exception I could see is if they want a more compelling match-up in the first round they put us up against Gonzaga or Michigan St. Seems unlikely though.

Give me Xavier. I’m good with that. Win and we get in the Big East. lose and we have to go to the MVC. Hahaha

23 hours ago, Old guy said:

This is a real question, I am totally ignorant about this. How are the teams invited to a tournament like the Orlando Invitational chosen? Anyone knows the criteria used?

It depends on the tournament or event. Some leagues are guaranteed spots in a tourney or event either annually or every other year etc...

Old guy likes this

Marquette's defense ran Davidson off of the 3 point line. (SLU can note that)...it did create some dribble drive opportunities and back cut opportunities. But Grady was the only effective offensive player for Davidson. But as shown, he also turned it over 10 times. On the other side Davidson defended well in the first half but they couldn't contain Markus Howard (40 points). 

Thinking generally about 2020 (and beyond) scheduling.  We really should try to get Kentucky and/or UNC on the schedule.  Maybe they want to get Cameron Fletcher / Caleb Love hometown games.  We know that Roy Williams does this because he did it with Tyler Hansbrough.  I’m not sure if Calipari does it (they never came to STL when Harrelson was there).  Try to turn a negative of losing out on top STL recruits into a positive of getting a home and home vs an elite program.

I’m not sure if those guys are 1 and done qualify players which would hurt our chances.

We should also be trying the same w Texas / Ramey and Ohio State / EJ Liddell.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

19 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Thinking generally about 2020 (and beyond) scheduling.  We really should try to get Kentucky and/or UNC on the schedule.  Maybe they want to get Cameron Fletcher / Caleb Love hometown games.  We know that Roy Williams does this because he did it with Tyler Hansbrough.  I’m not sure if Calipari does it (they never came to STL when Harrelson was there).  Try to turn a negative of losing out on top STL recruits into a positive of getting a home and home vs an elite program.

I’m not sure if those guys are 1 and done qualify players which would hurt our chances.

We should also be trying the same w Texas / Ramey and Ohio State / EJ Liddell.

screw them... if they wanted to play a game at home, shoulda stayed home