GDT BC: Where Eagles Die

brianstl

Just now, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Gibson scores and plays amazing defense. What does Jacobs do to deserve the starting spot over him? 
Before y’all go off about how starting doesn’t matter... we haven’t been good at the start of games recently. 

I don’t know why I’m engaging with you on this but Gibson does not play amazing defense. He plays respectable defense for a freshman, but Jacobs is a better defender (and ballhandler). I’m not saying Jacobs should for sure play over Jimmerson, but there are actual reasons why Travis has been giving Jacobs so many minutes. 

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I'm not saying he shouldn't be playing, or he didn't have a good 1st half but he shouldn't be taking more shots per minute than anyone else on the team. He's shooting under 33% from the field and 20% from 3. 9 boards is a nice game and I'm not as down on his D as it seems some others have been

Agree 100%, I feel like the shooting/scoring will eventually come. I’m encouraged that the other parts of his game are reaching an acceptable level. 

1 minute ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Gibson scores and plays amazing defense. What does Jacobs do to deserve the starting spot over him? 
Before y’all go off about how starting doesn’t matter... we haven’t been good at the start of games recently. 

I would agree. Gibson has been our 3rd best player (i would say by far) and his shooting/spacing would be nice to start games and maybe avoid our patented cold starts

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Perkins isn't shooting well from anywhere. His effective shooting percentage is 37.8%.  That is worse than Thatch and people can't ***** enough about how bad a shooter Thatch is.

But he is impacting the game in a net positive way (jimmmerson too).

15 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

French, Perkins, Goodwin, Jacobs, Yuri. That's it. That's the starting 5. 

Don't see it that way. I'd go w/ JGood, French, Jimerson, Yuri, and stick w/ Jimmy B( to take the pressure off of Has and early fouls). Off the bench, Perkins, Weaver, Thatch, Weaver, Hankton (if needed). 

JImmy B has probably been the biggest surprise so far. He's developing right before our eyes. 

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Don't see it that way. I'd go w/ JGood, French, Jimerson, Yuri, and stick w/ Jimmy B( to take the pressure off of Has and early fouls). Off the bench, Perkins, Weaver, Thatch, Weaver, Hankton (if needed). 

JImmy B has probably been the biggest surprise so far. He's developing right before our eyes. 

Did Jimmy B (through no fault of his own) keep Has out of foul trouble today?

5 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

No but he's showing improvement. Why gig him for it. We need two bigs to start. And as much as I love what Has does for us, his second foul should have been avoided. He should know by now don't drop your shoulder on a defender. They'll call it every time. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

No but he's showing improvement. Why gig him for it. We need two bigs to start. And as much as I love what Has does for us, his second foul should have been avoided. He should know by now don't drop your shoulder on a defender. They'll call it every time. 

I disagree that we necessarily need 2 bigs starting *every* game.

RUBillsFan likes this

30 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Being the third best player on this year's team is a lot like being "tallest dwarf."  It's not exactly a badge of honor.  What we have is two dominant players and it appears the third will change every 2-3 games.  Yuri was clearly the third guy the first 4 games.

I think that’s a sign of a young team.

I also think that’s a good thing. Opposing coaches know to game plan for Collins and French but they have no idea who the third guy might be.

12 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

Kudos to Jimmy B's first half today. Perkins had a good all around game. Question: Is Thatch hurt?

I posted this a couple pages back:

Coach Ford speaking at length in postgame interview about Thatch's struggle with illness, how he doesn't want to put Fred in a bad spot and how desperately we need him. Jeez, with how well we're already playing halfcourt defense, how dominant can this defense be?

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Perkins isn't shooting well from anywhere. His effective shooting percentage is 37.8%.  That is worse than Thatch and people can't ***** enough about how bad a shooter Thatch is.

I think or may be just me, that after seeing Perkins shooting at a high level In juco that he’ll eventually get it figured out and be and effective scorer. To me, scoring the 28 ppg in high level juco is better than the offense thatch had In hs In southeast Missouri. 

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

We may every well have lost today without bell. At the very least we would have not gotten a comfortable lead. Bell kept it close when hankton couldn’t 

slusam likes this

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

We may every well have lost today without bell. At the very least we would have not gotten a comfortable lead. Bell kept it close when hankton couldn’t 

Jimmy Bell has gotten a bit better each game, he scored five of our 24 first half pts. and kept it from being a disaster.  THE LOCOMOTIVE  will be one of our all time favorites before his career is over

34 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Not disagreeing with that at all.  I thought JBJ was solid.  My post was addressing a different issue.