A10 Scores and Comments

HoosierPal

10 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

It's 1 hour 45 mins from Manhattan to KC versus 3 hours 45 mins from St. Louis.  Over double the driving time plus KState plays in the arena annually vs SLU only having played there once several year ago makes it closer to the Auburn game than a true neutral site game in my mind.

It is basically like Mizzou playing DePaul at the Enterprise Center.  Is that a true neutral site game?

I never said it's "truly neutral."  I said it's not a true road game: by definition.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Also, k State’s athletic dept is the one selling the tickets.

the Miz-DePaul comp is a good one, geographically at least

its still going to be much closer to a 50/50 than lets say what we saw with Auburn.  

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I never said it's "truly neutral."  I said it's not a true road game: by definition.

Gotcha.  It is clearly not a true road game, but also clearly not truly neutral.  KenPom called the Aurburn game "semi-away" which I think fits here as well.  KenPom is calling this one neutral though which isn't great for us in terms of his rankings.

6 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I'd surmise it was a night ... dark, little sunshine, if any.  Gradual ligthening towards dawn. 

The A10 will cannibalize itself.  Dayton and VCU will rise to the top.  I have no expectations that  Duquesne or Mason will maintain at 9 and 0 and 10 and 1.  I have no respect for them whatsoever despite what the NET says.  I still don't respect Bonaventure any.  Injury to Osunniyi or not.  They have three sophomores and two freshmen.  Not a prescription for success in Olean IMHO.  The real jostling I expect to be between us, Rhode Island, Richmond and Davidson with Richmond one injury away from disaster and two injuries away from bust.  Of course, both Mason and Duquesne could mentally benefit from their starts and be better for it.  All this means that the third A10 team in the Dance will come from an unexpected A10 tourney win -- like us last year.  Dayton could go undefeated with VCU slightly behind them.  Or flip it.  They are the top two.  the rest could all be 11 and 7 which does no one any real good except make Brooklyn all more important and winnable by any number of teams. 

I thought 8 and 5 was a reasonable OOC expectations.  I now expect to bust that and finish 11 and 2.  I think we beat Kstate.  Now I look to the A10 season.  You have to win out at home i fyou ask me and th ebiggest hindrances there are visits by Dayton and VCU.  Can we really go 9 and 0 at home?  The road is then interesting as you go to improving programs at Richmond, Davidson, Mason and Duquesne.  You've go tough ones at Rhodey and Dayton.  In a worst-case, that's six losses possible. 

So I am one not that wrapped up in the NEt or rankings, or RPI or BPI or whatever.  Frankly, it seems to be win and go from there.  Worrying about the numbers across the board is useless.

Well Taj, I am delighted to see you are starting to see this season profiling the way I have been looking at it. As I have mentioned I think it not unlikely that we will finish the OOC 11-2 and that we will sweep everyone except Dayton and VCU during conference play. The Dayton and VCU games will be tougher games to win, which does not mean we will lose them all. Of course a fully healed French and a playable Jimerson will make the probabilities better for SLU. I am not sure if we can be optimistic about Thatch or not at this time. Anyway, yes, if the A10 actually gets 3 bid for the Dance I think we could be one of them this year. Go Bills!

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Very interesting graph.  I attribute our 45% to French, Goodwin and Hargrove attempts at the rim.  We need some more 3's and mid range jumpers to even this out.  Being 10% above the rest of the league may not be sustainable. 

That chart screams play zone D against SLU.  Ironically, playing a zone allows us to grab more offensive rebounds and get put backs at the rim.  I agree though that it looks unsustainable and I'd like to see us taking / knocking down more 3s (especially if Jimerson is healthy).

HoosierPal likes this

19 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

Sneed has played there twice in 3 years and 4 guys played there once last year. It's a neutral site game. If we were to play a west coast team at Dayton's arena, you wouldn't call it a road game. We're just as familiar there as Kansas State is at Sprint.

So fan support doesn’t matter at all?

23 hours ago, Taj79 said:

The real jostling I expect to be between us, Rhode Island, Richmond and Davidson with Richmond one injury away from disaster and two injuries away from bust.

Not to bring up unholy thoughts, but we are also one injury away from disaster and two injuries away from bust.

HoosierPal likes this

5 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Auburn is 2 hours 12 minutes away from Birmingham.

Manhattan, KS is 1 hour 48 minutes away from Kansas City.

What I meant was Birmingham is 7.5 hours from STL, KC is less than half of that, plus we have alums in that area. I expected idk, very few people for Auburn game, I expect a decent showing in KC

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

What I meant was Birmingham is 7.5 hours from STL, KC is less than half of that, plus we have alums in that area. I expected idk, very few people for Auburn game, I expect a decent showing in KC

Gotcha.  I think K-State will show up better than people think.  The game was scheduled during break intentionally so that students and alumni of K-State in KC would be able to get to the game.  Hopefully, we show up well.  Sadly, I cannot make it.

I hereby coin the term "weighted neutral game" to describe the K-State and Auburn games, and others like them. They aren't true road games in that we're not playing on the opposing team's floor, but we're playing in their larger territories in a mostly hostile environment - a short bus ride and one-night stay at most for them, a flight and a couple nights for us. Crowd will be heavily in their favor. Committee considers it neutral, but it isn't a true neutral game like a Maui Invitational game or something.

Weighted neutral games. That's what these are.

2 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I hereby coin the term "weighted neutral game" to describe the K-State and Auburn games, and others like them. They aren't true road games in that we're not playing on the opposing team's floor, but we're playing in their larger territories in a mostly hostile environment - a short bus ride and one-night stay at most for them, a flight and a couple nights for us. Crowd will be heavily in their favor. Committee considers it neutral, but it isn't a true neutral game like a Maui Invitational game or something.

Weighted neutral games. That's what these are.

We now need Kenpom to not only adjust for pace of play, but also for distance away from home school/alumni bases and fandom breakdown of the crowd