A10 Scores and Comments

HoosierPal

13 hours ago, dennis_w said:

No surprise to me, THE LOCOMOTIVE will only get better

I mean I never wanted Bell to fail, but if you told me he would have his best game against the top team in the country and French would have his worst I don’t think anyone would bet on that. 

hopefully he gets good minutes and buckets tonight 

dennis_w likes this

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I mean I never wanted Bell to fail, but if you told me he would have his best game against the top team in the country and French would have his worst I don’t think anyone would bet on that. 

hopefully he gets good minutes and buckets tonight 

Not just Auburn, his two best games were against Seton hall along with auburn. 

Gill from SH is one of the best defensive big's in the country too. 

38 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Duquesne is in the midst of a $45 million renovation of Palumbo Center.  It will be top line when finished for the 2020-21 season.  They are renaming it after the first black player drafted into the NBA, Chuck Cooper, who played at Duquesne. 

It will still hold only 4,500 or so

22 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

It will still hold only 4,500 or so

I have been at Duquesne and St. Joe,. while small I liked both places. Everybody is sitting on top of the court. While our place is great you can never duplicate the atmosphere a packed smaller place can. 

There is nothing wrong with a 4,500 seat gym, as you suggest.

Since Chaifetz was opened, we have averaged about 65% capacity.  It looks like we have had only 4 totally sold out games, if the attendance figures represent tickets sold.  We have had 14 games over 10,000 in a gym listed at 10,600.  Perhaps Chaifetz was built too large?   

Crewsorlose likes this

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

There is nothing wrong with a 4,500 seat gym, as you suggest.

Since Chaifetz was opened, we have averaged about 65% capacity.  It looks like we have had only 4 totally sold out games, if the attendance figures represent tickets sold.  We have had 14 games over 10,000 in a gym listed at 10,600.  Perhaps Chaifetz was built too large?   

never.  We enjoy the basketball side of the venue, but because of its size, its able to get well known names for concerts.  

RUBillsFan and cheeseman like this

2 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

For the purposes of Billiken basketball, it was.  

at this point in time, yes.  For the previous decade, yes.  But if we had a 1 or 2 good runs in the tourney, cities seem to jump on the programs backs for a long while.  At that point, the 10,500 may be a good idea. 

CBFan likes this

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

at this point in time, yes.  For the previous decade, yes.  But if we had a 1 or 2 good runs in the tourney, cities seem to jump on the programs backs for a long while.  At that point, the 10,500 may be a good idea. 

I hope you are right.  For those of us who experienced a packed Arena with Highmark, Claggett and Waldman, we can only hope that type of energy and atmosphere reappears.  But times have changed, and overall college hoops attendance, along with football, is declining. 

It is still early, but I was expecting a bump in this season's attendance.  We obviously have some attractive dates coming up (okay 2), but our tourney appearance plus local talent isn't turning out the folks that I had hoped for.  We are averaging 6,299.  Maryville and Bethune Cookman likely won't raise that average, so we have the 9 conference games to turn out bigger crowds.  Last season we averaged 6,890, so it will be interesting to see if we top that mark.  Last season we averaged 6,984 for the nine conference games.  Our games with Dayton and VCU should draw large crowds, but the rest are suspect. 

30 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

For the purposes of Billiken basketball, it was.  

Sports franchises/programs need to realize that they need to restructure their concession prices in the era of HD/4K television.  The fact that more of them haven't followed Athur Blank's example amazes me.  More people end up buying tickets and then end up spending money at the game.  

Littlebill and Bizziken like this

Hooz:  I hope the $45 million involves blowing it up and starting completely over.  I saw the drawings … it all looks nice.  We shall see.  We didn't call it the Palumbo Air Duct Center for nothing.  To me, the issue will be no one goes to games anyway.  Or not yet.  Duquesne isn';t even #1 in its town where the state game is football.

St. Joe's renovated Hagan Arena not too long ago.  I can't find what that cost because it was a part of a collective effort to upgrade a lot of the antiquated facilities at St. Joe's.  Michael Hagan donated $10 million to the project and they named the redone Fieldhouse after him.  But short of adding an extra section of 700 seats for the students, the visible physicality of the building remained the same.  The renovations claim an added concourse, larger coaching offices, larger locker rooms, a Hall of Fame, a study room, basketball center and practice facilities.  With the current state of St. Joe's basketball, all they added to the naked eye were more empty seats.    High pathetic. 

wgstl:  Eagle Bank is a palace when you look around the facilities in this league.  It seats 10,000 relatively well.  The access to seating is good.  Concessions are accessible.  Sightlines are good with a rather steep incline.  It is used as a secondary concert venue for DC for acts that won't fill the pro arena downtown.  Of course, when I compare it to the shiteholes around the league that I have been to, it might get a few bump up points based on that.  Amherst and Kingston look good on TV.  I will have to get games there to see.  The Umass outfit doesn't draw well; Kingston was hopping for Alabama. 

I know some folks take umbrage with what we have at SLU (which is light years ahead of when I was there) and I have to laugh.  SLU is a paradise compared to many of its A10 brethren. 

I have seen games in seven of the 14 A10 venues.  I have been to the Verizon Center, Cincinnati, Brooklyn and Atlantic City for the tournament.  The last six I hope to hit now in retirement.  Yep .. six.  Wild horses couldn't drag me to Olean.  You can't get there from here, why try.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I hope you are right.  For those of us who experienced a packed Arena with Highmark, Claggett and Waldman, we can only hope that type of energy and atmosphere reappears.  But times have changed, and overall college hoops attendance, along with football, is declining. 

It is still early, but I was expecting a bump in this season's attendance.  We obviously have some attractive dates coming up, but our tourney appearance plus local talent isn't turning out the folks that I had hoped for.  We are averaging 6,299.  Maryville and Bethune Cookman likely won't raise that average, so we have the 9 conference games to turn out bigger crowds.  Last season we averaged 6,890, so it will be interesting to see if we top that mark.  Last season we averaged 6,984 for the nine conference games.  Our games with Dayton and VCU should draw large crowds, but the rest are suspect. 

Consistent winning, Coach Ford and local athletes will fill the Chaifetz up eventually.

One thing that hurts the attendance is the conference SLU plays in.  People showed up to watch Louisville, Cincy, Memphis, Marquette, DePaul, Dayton, and UAB.  Dayton and VCU should draw well but it ends there.  SLU needs to move to the AAC, Cincy, Memphis, and Wichita State will draw big crowds.  I think Houston, Tulsa and Temple should get better than average crowds.  At least the casual fan would know what state the schools are located in versus St. Bonaventure, St. Joe's Fordham, LaSalle, and Duquesne.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Fortunately, the facility was designed well so that when we have 3,000-4,000 empty seats (which is most of the time), the place still feels relatively full.  I'm just glad they didn't go bigger, per the original plans.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Consistent winning, Coach Ford and local athletes will fill the Chaifetz up eventually.

One thing that hurts the attendance is the conference SLU plays in.  People showed up to watch Louisville, Cincy, Memphis, Marquette, DePaul, Dayton, and UAB.  Dayton and VCU should draw well but it ends there.  SLU needs to move to the AAC, Cincy, Memphis, and Wichita State will draw big crowds.  I think Houston, Tulsa and Temple should get better than average crowds.  At least the casual fan would know what state the schools are located in versus St. Bonaventure, St. Joe's Fordham, LaSalle, and Duquesne.

I am all for the AAC but one thing to consider, forget about baseball, soccer or any of the women sports getting into the NCAAs.

billiken_roy likes this

6 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I am all for the AAC but one thing to consider, forget about baseball, soccer or any of the women sports getting into the NCAAs.

totally agree.   you get a conference with mostly public schools we are in trouble particularly with the non-revenue sports.   

the only conference to consider besides the A10 is the big east and then only if they take us as a total equal member and assist with exit and entry fees like most conference moves.   

we really are in the best place.   yes campaign for weak sisters like fordham to look for a new home and to draft the likes of loyola, but in all likelihood we are in the best place for now imo.  

Adman and AGB91 like this

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You think the Big East would be easier? Cmon 

Big east is predominantly private.   No govt handouts like aac

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Correct, correct. I'd also add no more S1, S2, etc.

At risk of sounding like a broken record from similar things I've posted on attendance over the years, don't forget SLU was one of the top teams in average attendance in the entire NCAA in the mid/late '90s. Three times Top 10, six times Top 20. 

• 1995   17,714     #7
  • 1996   16,986     #7
  • 1997   13,732     #18
  • 1998   17,708     #6
  • 1999   15,142     #12
  • 2000   13,631     #20

The market is there folks. A popular coach, excellent product, excellent marketing, couple local stars in the mix -- and consistent winning. Some have said some of this success was due to no NFL team. I disagree; the NFL fan is different from college basketball fan, particularly of private school SLU. If the product is right, fans will come. Regardless, there's no NFL team at the moment.

And remember, this was achieved before the Top 50 program commitment plans were realized: pre-Majerus, pre-Chaifetz, pre-increased bball funding, etc.

It's wide open if we do what CBFan says.

13 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

SLU belongs in the Big East. We would attract all around better athletes. 

at this time why would the big east take us as a full equal partner?