GDT vs Belmont

Weary, every game is a race to find the weak point of the opponent, and then stressing that component until it fails.

The High Point game was a failure in that we went up by what, 24 points, and then we got away from winning basketball and let one of the worst D1 teams hang a17 point run on us.

Belmont had only two bigs, both dead on their feet and with four fouls, AND French was totally in a zone. Ford is a KY coach that rides his stallion for the entire game. He had done this with Goodwin, French, Jacobs, Jimerson, and Collins with the rock. If you can’t stop the play or player, he will make you choke on it if he can. Belmont fell because the bigs were exhausted, their guards had lost their legs, and French is conditioned to play a fifty minute game.

3star_recruit likes this

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Sheltiedave said:

Weary, every game is a race to find the weak point of the opponent, and then stressing that component until it fails.

The High Point game was a failure in that we went up by what, 24 points, and then we got away from winning basketball and let one of the worst D1 teams hang a17 point run on us.

Belmont had only two bigs, both dead on their feet and with four fouls, AND French was totally in a zone. Ford is a KY coach that rides his stallion for the entire game. He had done this with Goodwin, French, Jacobs, Jimerson, and Collins with the rock. If you can’t stop the play or player, he will make you choke on it if he can. Belmont fell because the bigs were exhausted, their guards had lost their legs, and French is conditioned to play a fifty minute game.

its  ironic that you mention the big comeback by high point and then mention that ford "rides his stallion for the entire game".    that high point run coincided with ford pulling the entire starting lineup way too early and then having to bring them all back in.   

13 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

It is a little concerning that it took an all time performance by French to beat a decent Belmont team at home. Our defense was much improved which is a good sign. 

I think if Belmont played in the A10 they'd be a 4th or 5th best team. They got some players. I'd wager they'll be dancing come March. If we played D like we did in our previous games, we'd have lost by double digits. Hopefully, these guys see the benefits of playing all out on D going forward. 

Zink likes this

2 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Rebounds are essential to Billyball(aka thug ball), and in games where French and Goodwin are physically dominant, this has to occur for us to win. Please note our 5’11” smurf, Yuri Collins, also grabbed six. 19 rebounds from our primary guards, and 28 rebounds from our four “out” positions, is pretty fine. The only caveat is seeing B’s Murphy with nine boards. 

Why not just call it “bullyball” the way Rammer, Earl, and Coach do, and leave out the thug references.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

That decision could have cost us the game with the 10 second call do you comprehend or realize that?

Your right fighting about Yuri’s game to other posters opinion is not impressive.

And what you find to be impressive is of great concern to me. I didn't realize I was fighting with anyone. 

Again, my point wasn't nor did I say that Yuri had a great or even good game. I said his turnovers were bad, but there were other aspects that were good. I took exception to the wording such as terrible, couldn't get worse. Horrible, a complete aboration. 

My point regarding staying in the game was Coach realizes that despite the poor showing with too many t/o's and his decision making he needed him on the floor as he was doing other things well. Yep, his 10 second call was bad, and his D on the final play and down the stretch was good. If his game fell to the level stated above I don't think he would have remained in the game. 

there is nothing wrong with collins game that a year or two of experience, training and knowledge wont fix.   imo the good news is that collins has shown he has the needed attributes to succeed at this level.   let him play and hope the bumps in the road are less than the straightaways where he is able to put his foot on the gas.  

it would help if we got back to running and pressing as much as possible.   it would be different if we were limiting the rotation.  but it seems like we are still playing 10+ players a game. 

turn it up.  let's go fast.  

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

After today, we're averaging 74 ppg.  We're slowly drifting down to the low 70s.  I understand now why Coach has been ranting about toughness.  Our offense in the first few games has come from overwhelming weak defensive teams with our athleticism, resulting in easy baskets.  We have gotten very few easy baskets the last three games.  Halfcourt defense will again have to be our playing card.  

The same point still stands. If we can hit free throws at even an average rate it should be worth about 4 points a game assuming getting to the line the same amount of times. This doesn't even take into account the 2nd f/t we'd get for hitting the front end of a 1+1. I also agree our athleticism and toughness will be one of our strongest points. If we just shot our season averages we have 5 more fg's, 2 of them being 3's plus 2 more f/t's for 14 more points. However, with this team, I believe we will have other shooting games like this and we'll need our toughness especially on D to win games. 

10 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

The problem is practice FTs are not the same as game FTs.  Specifically, taking 10, 20 or 30 in a row during warmups doesn’t replicate the sporadic nature in which a player goes to the line during a game.  

I understand but my point simply was that he knows what good technique is the problem is when he is in the game he does not replicate it.  This is why I believe it is simply a head problem for him and I don't know how you fix that.

3star_recruit likes this

1 hour ago, Westy03 said:

It is a little concerning that it took an all time performance by French to beat a decent Belmont team at home. Our defense was much improved which is a good sign. 

Part of his all time performance was the team recognizing he couldn’t be stopped in the second half. 
If he’s wasn’t on fire someone else may have stepped up.

Good teams have great players and those great players step up when needed.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

Just now, dlarry said:

Part of his all time performance was the team recognizing he couldn’t be stopped in the second half. 
If he’s wasn’t on fire someone else may have stepped up.

Good teams have great players and those great players step up when needed.

Good point - sometimes people forget that if one guy has a great game that doesn't mean others are playing poorly.  When your team has the ball only one guy can score so if it is the guy who is hot then the others will look not.  The HiPt game is a great example - Jimerson was hot so they let him shoot.

billikenblue likes this

An observation from the game:  in the last 13 minutes, when Weaver was in, Weaver and Gibby would position themselves in the corners when French got the ball in the post.  Belmont was honoring those two by having their man stick on them, allowing French a little more room to maneuver.  Not that French would have thrown it out to them, but both were fairly well covered by Belmont defenders.  Weaver came in at the 13:37 mark, promptly hit a three pointer, and remained in the game until the end.  I could go back and look - don't want to - but I'm guessing this may have been Weaver's longest single stint this season.....or close to it.

With French's performance, to me, partly attributed to Weaver and Gibby being on the floor, I'll give Ford the nod over Alexander on a critical coaching decision.

Zink likes this

4 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Rebounds are essential to Billyball(aka thug ball), and in games where French and Goodwin are physically dominant, this has to occur for us to win. Please note our 5’11” smurf, Yuri Collins, also grabbed six. 19 rebounds from our primary guards, and 28 rebounds from our four “out” positions, is pretty fine. The only caveat is seeing B’s Murphy with nine boards. 

smurf still listed as 6' on the roster. I'm sticking with that.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

there is nothing wrong with collins game that a year or two of experience, training and knowledge wont fix.   imo the good news is that collins has shown he has the needed attributes to succeed at this level.   let him play and hope the bumps in the road are less than the straightaways where he is able to put his foot on the gas.  

it would help if we got back to running and pressing as much as possible.   it would be different if we were limiting the rotation.  but it seems like we are still playing 10+ players a game. 

turn it up.  let's go fast.  

seemed like most of his TOs last night came from laziness not inability or being over matched. I think he will respond and clean it up. He so far has not exhibited the usual hero point action we grew tired of in the Hines era (not singling him out) Not sure he's had any charge calls and he always seems to get the ball out of his hands while surrounded in the paint just wasn't able to get it cleanly to anyone last night.. 10 point call was the major goof up. Had nothing to do with the defense. In fact he seems to be pretty good at getting through what little press we've encountered so far. I'm surprised no Olly oops especially with HF on fire.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I understand but my point simply was that he knows what good technique is the problem is when he is in the game he does not replicate it.  This is why I believe it is simply a head problem for him and I don't know how you fix that.

This is the 3rd time I have suggested a sports psychologist. 

25 minutes ago, willie said:

This is the 3rd time I have suggested a sports psychologist. 

Well, I am not sure that necessarily will solve it.  Many athletes have gone to them and they still have the problem.  OK to try but that may not solve it.  Confidence can only come from success.

10 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Well, I am not sure that necessarily will solve it.  Many athletes have gone to them and they still have the problem.  OK to try but that may not solve it.  Confidence can only come from success.

Why not try? I agree with confidence. Maybe that’s what a psychologist can give. 

Hey guys, that was a major win by us against a top 50 ranked opponent. This is the 6th game our freshmen play in D1 competition, why all of this searching for "errors" instead of rejoicing about results? How many of our MBMs are locked into a "glass half empty" mode of thinking about our team.

From my point of view, Belmont did their preliminary work effectively and were well prepared against us. They did all they could to neutralize French but just could not, so they adopted the procedure of fouling him to neutralize his drives, knowing he has major problems with  FTs. When, about 4 minutes from the end of the game, they  fouled him again and he scored a number of points in a row (I think it was 3, not sure) this was an enormous boost for us, but a major gut punch for them. "What is a mother to do?" is the thought that must have crossed their minds when French did this. French had, in many ways the best defensive game of his  career.

Bell is not there yet but compared to his performance in prior games he is improving. Yuri has been captured in multiple game films since he started playing this season. He is not an unknown freshman any longer but a threat that needs to be neutralized, as they tried and, to some degree, succeeded in doing. The same can be said for Jimerson. Both of these guys responded to their neutralization efforts by doing new things, more Jimerson than Yuri. Yuri by the way is a tiny guy compared to what he is going against, and now that they know he is a real threat. Yuri will have to expect stronger efforts from the opposition to render him a non threat. These things should be self evident to all.

True really good players like Jimerson and Yuri could be expected to pull new things and defeat the opposition's efforts; but remember these kids are freshmen who never ever played a major top 50 opponent before, and are also new to the new dimensions of play found in D1. I'd say they did just fine in yesterday's game, and the same goes for Perkins, and Bell.

So, French still cannot shoot Fts consistently, what do you want to do about it? Do you want to pull a Crews and punish  the kid after the best game of his career because he cannot shoot FTs regularly? Come on, get a life.

Let's get this straight, WE WON AGAINST A TOP 50 RANKED TEAM LAST NIGHT. What is it about this that is so hard to understand? Does it mean we are going to the dance this year, hell no. In order to do that we need to win a parcel of additional games. Are we going to win these games by playing perfect basketball, who do you think you are kidding in this regard? Of course we are not going to do this, not this year and not with as many freshmen as we have in the team. Does this mean we are doomed because many of our kids are being stopped by teams with a better ranking than ours, or cannot shoot FTs? Again, no way. Any game we play where we out rebound the opposition 60 to 38 will be a game we can win, it may be sloppy, we may make a lot of mistakes, but who cares if we win the game.

I think it is time to get your glasses half full and rejoice about what you are seeing with your own eyes during game time. The games may  be ugly, we may be plagued by all kinds of stupid mistakes, but WHO CARES AS LONG AS WE WIN?

Go Bills! The next game against BC may be easier for us that this monster of a game against Belmont was. Let's to to the heart of Boston, where I lived for 28 years, and show them that, at least from a basketball point of view, we are not a fly over state and that we have to be considered a dangerous opponent. Again, Go Bills!

slusam likes this