GDT vs Belmont

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Yuri's complete game wasn't that bad. His defense was very good, he had a few nice assists and 6 boards. Clearly he had too many turnovers and didn't shoot well but his overall game wasn't as bad as it seems. We held them to 55 points and Yuri played a major role in that. His worst game as a Billiken, I'll give you that

There is some reading comprehension issues on the board. I didn't say he had a good game. I did say he did some things good, which I stand by. 

I was responding because it was called terrible, couldn't get worse. Horrible, a complete aboration. Not exact quotes but same words

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

thicks/skip:  great game from French no doubt.  Might be the best I've ever seen by a Billiken big man.  That was a game for the ages.  i am not trying to detract from the exhibition.  My comment was directed at "all around game."  There is a huge gaping hole in Hasahn's repertoire and that is that stripe 15 feet from the basket.  My gawd ..... if he were even 60% or 67% from the line, it would truly be A10 POY hands down.  Some even suggested Belmont foul him right away.  Goodwin seems better but not by much right now.  It's still a huge Achilles heel.  We will lose three or five we shouldn't when things get tough down the stretch.  Remember Davidson last year?

Tonight was great but trending for the future is questionable.  All warts get overlooked in a win, amplified in a loss.  I'll sleep well tonight but I still don't like what I see.  Anybody else close their eyes when we stand at the line?  French and Goodwin took 20 of our 22 free throws.  And that should be expected going forward.  41% from the line is not winning basketball.  Yes, 60 or 67% tonight adds 3 or 4 more points which are immaterial but I'm looking at one shot to tie,two to win and that still scares the hell out  of me.  Our slash was 36/21/41.  I'll take the W and watch our first true road game Wednesday.

Agree with this take. The free throw shooting from French is honestly as bad as I've ever seen. I truly do not understand. 

Goodwin is not nearly as bad as French but he needs to be better than 50-60%. 

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

There is some reading comprehension issues on the board. I didn't say he had a good game. I did say he did some things good, which I stand by. 

I was responding because it was called terrible, couldn't get worse. Horrible, a complete aboration. Not exact quotes but same words

Sure Yuri could have been worse.  He could have been putrid.  But he did enough things to offset his mountain of turnovers to ascend to the level of horrible.  

Just a bump on the road in an unexpectedly awesome season so far.  We've never had a freshman ranked in the 200s play at this high a level before.

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Agree with this take. The free throw shooting from French is honestly as bad as I've ever seen. I truly do not understand. 

Goodwin is not nearly as bad as French but he needs to be better than 50-60%. 

I don’t even get worked up over French missing them. 
Poor form + lack of touch + mental block = disastrous results.

Maybe he will learn to knock them down next year.

Goodwin has got to be better. I don’t know what he needs to do but he needs to figure it out.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Goodwin has got to be better. I don’t know what he needs to do but he needs to figure it out.

Actually,  if you noticed him practicing during the half time he hit 5 in a row and his form looked good.  Ford says he does well in practice.  His problem is apparently a head issue.  Not sure how you change that - we have seen plenty of pro athletes who never do conquer their head issues.

I wonder if Goodwin is still suffering from that Davidson loss in which he missed both FTs which lost the game.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Goodwin is averaging 4 per game. 

French is averaging 1 f/t short of 7 per game. 

If French had shot just 65% on the year he'd be averaging 2 more points per game.  That's a huge difference for 1 player. 

As a team if we shot just 70% which would put us in about the middle of D1 we'd be scoring 4.5 more points per game. 

Not counting today we're at 77 ppg ranked #80. At 81.5 we'd be #33

47 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Actually,  if you noticed him practicing during the half time he hit 5 in a row and his form looked good.  Ford says he does well in practice.  His problem is apparently a head issue.  Not sure how you change that - we have seen plenty of pro athletes who never do conquer their head issues.

I wonder if Goodwin is still suffering from that Davidson loss in which he missed both FTs which lost the game.

The problem is practice FTs are not the same as game FTs.  Specifically, taking 10, 20 or 30 in a row during warmups doesn’t replicate the sporadic nature in which a player goes to the line during a game.  

Back home from the game. Right after the game we attended the yearly party of the SLU Chorale (which I am not sure if it still exists). Very nice party, with the old members of the Chorale, many of which including my wife do not miss a chance for singing as a group. I know it is late, we had a fabulous time.

About the game, I have to say something that may not be evident to some of you: Basketball is not a game of pretty or of perfect, it is a game of winning. Winning we did tonight, we did it despite a miserable referee which continued making a string of bad calls and appeared intent (at least to me) to make us lose the game. We did show aggressivenes playing against Belmont, a lot more than they expected I assume. Bell is playing better but still has a way to go, Yuri is fine, so was basically everyone. It was not elegant, it was not pretty at times, but who cares? The truth is that we won and that is all there is to it. 

Now, onto the next one. Go Bills!, build upon what you achieved tonight and learn from this victory.

15 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Bills lead 43-42 w/ 10:29 left.

Started by a terrific steal by Goodwin and an acrobatic finish by French.

7 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

French has also been credited with 6 blocks.  Game for the ages.  (Aside from the free throws.)

Wonder if he got credited for two blocks on the jump ball call. Couldn't tell if the ref called it on the first one or the second one.

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

Just checked the stats for the game, the one that really got me was the rebounds. SLU  had 60 rebounds, Belmont 38. This was one critical area where we dominated over Belmont.

Goodwin and French combined for 37 boards... only one fewer than Belmont as a team!

Rebounds are essential to Billyball(aka thug ball), and in games where French and Goodwin are physically dominant, this has to occur for us to win. Please note our 5’11” smurf, Yuri Collins, also grabbed six. 19 rebounds from our primary guards, and 28 rebounds from our four “out” positions, is pretty fine. The only caveat is seeing B’s Murphy with nine boards. 

11 hours ago, slufanskip said:

You realize that the guy who knows far more than any of us had him in the game during the deciding minutes and played him over 30 for the game. See, he understands that despite having a bad day with the turnovers, his overall game was still good enough to be on the floor at the end 

That decision could have cost us the game with the 10 second call do you comprehend or realize that?

Your right fighting about Yuri’s game to other posters opinion is not impressive.

8 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Goodwin is averaging 4 per game. 

French is averaging 1 f/t short of 7 per game. 

If French had shot just 65% on the year he'd be averaging 2 more points per game.  That's a huge difference for 1 player. 

As a team if we shot just 70% which would put us in about the middle of D1 we'd be scoring 4.5 more points per game. 

Not counting today we're at 77 ppg ranked #80. At 81.5 we'd be #33

After today, we're averaging 74 ppg.  We're slowly drifting down to the low 70s.  I understand now why Coach has been ranting about toughness.  Our offense in the first few games has come from overwhelming weak defensive teams with our athleticism, resulting in easy baskets.  We have gotten very few easy baskets the last three games.  Halfcourt defense will again have to be our playing card.  

slufanskip likes this

41 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

After today, we're averaging 74 ppg.  We're slowly drifting down to the low 70s.  I understand now why Coach has been ranting about toughness.  Our offense in the first few games has come from overwhelming weak defensive teams with our athleticism, resulting in easy baskets.  We have gotten very few easy baskets the last three games.  Halfcourt defense will again have to be our playing card.  

I agree, and last night's game was great milestone for the defense as it helped French close out the game. Belmont took the lead 55-51 with 4:38 left and never scored again. Bills defense went into lockdown mode, inspired by French's performance. New players are making good progress on defense, and Belmont had nothing left. The game was won with willpower and toughness ... despite many mistakes. Great win for a team making progress.

Sheltiedave likes this

As a co founder of the Yurimania Society, along with Billikenbill, we offer no excuses for his performance last night. Every player will have their bad games. I don't know what Billikenbill thinks, but I got the impression he was trying to do a little too much, or pushing too hard. No reason to cover all the low points or the few high points. Like Grasshopper in the old Kung Fu series, he will learn from his Zen master, Yoda Ford.

drkelsey55 likes this